Subject: [sidr] comment on draft-ietf-sidr-rpki-validation-reconsidered

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 18:42:29 -0400

In my comments to Tim and Carlos, I neglected to say that I do think the 
WG should
provide a detailed, algorithmic description of the proposed relaxed 
validation
procedure.

If the authors produce a suitable description of the procedure, and if 
the other
RPKI RP software developers find it reasonable, then I will support the 
change.

I also note that relaxed validation rules probably would simplify the 
procedure described
in the TAO I-D. I suggest that INR transfer, a topic raised by Sandy 
long ago and not
addressed in detail prior to the TAO I-D, should be the topic of a 
separate I-D, not
part of the relaxed validation procedure description.

Finally, I assume that the RIRs are not suggesting that errors in cert 
issuance are
a good idea; thus I would like to see the revised validation I-D define 
procedures
of the sort I described earlier to help CAs detect erroneous cert 
issuance and avoid it,
rather than relying solely on relaxed validation by RPs to mitigate the 
damage of
such errors.

Steve