Subject: [Sidrops] Martin Vigoureux's No Objection on draft-ietf-sidrops-rtr-keying-03: (with COMMENT)

From: Martin Vigoureux <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 05:16:25 -0800

Martin Vigoureux has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-sidrops-rtr-keying-03: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sidrops-rtr-keying/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

thank you for this Document.
I only have a couple of questions:

   In the operator-generated method, the operator SHOULD extract the
   certificate from the PKCS#7 certs-only message, and verify that the
   private key it holds corresponds to the returned public key.

   The router SHOULD extract the certificate from the PKCS#7 certs-only
   message and verify that the public key corresponds to the stored
   private key.

I believe SHOULD applies to extract and to verify, correct?
But I wonder why isn't that a MUST, or asked differently, what could happen
wrong if that verification was not done?

Thank you