Subject: [Sidrops] Lowering Legal Barriers to RPKI Adoption

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2019 15:53:28 -0800

Yoo, Christopher S. and Wishnick, David, Lowering Legal Barriers to RPKI
Adoption (December 31, 2018). U of Penn Law School, Public Law Research
Paper No. 19-02. Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3308619

Across the Internet, mistaken and malicious routing announcements impose
significant costs on users and network operators. To make routing
announcements more reliable and secure, Internet coordination bodies
have encouraged network operators to adopt the Resource Public Key
Infrastructure (“RPKI”) framework. Despite this encouragement, RPKI’s
adoption rates are low, especially in North America.

This report presents the results of a year-long investigation into the
hypothesis―widespread within the network operator community―that legal
issues pose barriers to RPKI adoption and are one cause of the
disparities between North America and other regions of the world. On the
basis of interviews and analysis of the legal framework governing RPKI,
the report evaluates the issues raised by community members and proposes
a number of strategies to reduce or circumvent the barriers that are
material. The report also describes substantial action taken this year
by the American Registry for Internet Numbers (“ARIN”) and other private
organizations in light of public dialogue about RPKI.