Subject: [Sidrops] ADOPTION: draft-sidrops-bruijnzeels-deprecate-rsync (Ends 2020/27/5)

From: Chris Morrow <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 May 2020 22:33:11 +0000

Howdy WG Folks!  Can we please read/consider and think back to our
robust conversation at the interim meeting :) about:

  draft-sidrops-bruijnzeels-deprecate-rsync
  https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sidrops-bruijnzeels-deprecate-rsync-01

and consider whether or not we should adopt this draft as a working-group
work item? We shall endeavor to close out this adoption call 27 May 2020.

Abstract included:
  "This document formulates a plan of a phased transition to a state
   where RPKI repositories and Relying Party software performing RPKI
   Validation will use the RPKI Repository Delta Protocol (RRDP)
   [RFC8182] as the only mandatory to implement access protocol.

   In short this plan consists of the following phases.

   In phase 0, today's deployment, RRDP is supported by most, but not
   all Repositories, and most but not all RP software.

   In the proposed phase 1 RRDP will become mandatory to implement for
   Repositories, in addition to rsync.  This phase can start as soon as
   this document is published.

   Once the proposed updates are implemented by all Repositories phase 2
   will start.  In this phase RRDP will become mandatory to implement
   for all RP software, and rsync must no longer be used.

   Measurements will need to be done to help determine when it will be
   safe to transition to the final phase of this plan.  During this
   phase Repositories will no longer be required to provide rsync access
   for RPKI validation purposes.  However, they may still provide rsync
   access for direct access to files for other purposes, if desired, at
   a best effort basis.

   Although this document currently includes descriptions and updates to
   RFCs for each of these phases, we may find that it will be beneficial
   to have separate documents for the plan, and each phase, so that it
   might be more clear to all when the updates to RFCs take effect."

There have already been ~10 folk express support on-list for this, so we'll
count their votes in the final tally 5/27/2020.

thanks!
-chris
co-chair-persona

---

From: Ben Maddison <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 09:58:16 +0000

> work item? We shall endeavor to close out this adoption call 27 May
Support adoption

Cheers,

Ben