Subject: Re: [Sidrops] notes on rsync --delete (rrdp withdraw), and garbage collection

From: Rob Austein <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2020 23:18:07 -0500

[Apologies for belated response, saw this while catching before
today's meeting (for some definition of "today")]

Job, I agree that flushing data solely because rsync or RRDP said to
do so is a bad idea, but I think that outlawing rsync --delete or RRDP
withdraw is going a bit overboard in the other direction.

The operative word here is "solely".  At least in my implementation,
rsync/RRDP deletion only remove data from the pre-validation cache;
there's a separate cache of previously-validated data, and I use both
of them when constructing the output of the current validation cycle.

End result is that we only gc objects that have both been deleted and
have failed to pass validation, which (still) seems about right to me.

---

From: George Michaelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 14:22:59 +1000

I like this behaviour, and I continue to use your validator for the
enhanced debugging it gives on the states of the repo.

I could quibble about colour marking yellow on some stuff, but
overall, "I like your approach"

-G

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 2:18 PM Rob Austein <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Sidrops mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sidrops