Subject: [Simple] Can contact-headers point to URIs that do not support SIP ?

From: "Lamine Brahimi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 17:19:27 +0200

Dear all,

I have developped a presence service. Now I need to integrate it into
another project.
I would like to put an uri like: "tcp://toto:6700" as the Contact-address
in the Contact-header.
However this uri points to another application that does not use sip.
So i do not want to receive  sip message at this address. The subscribers
to the presentity
use this contact address to run another application we have defined.
My question is will sip messages be routed to this contact-address (I do
not know if this case was taken into account in chapter Locating SIP
server/ Computing list of next hops of rfc2453-bis07) ?
If true, is it possible to specify that this contact address is not a SIP
contact-addres so that  proxies etc .. must skip it ?

Regards,
Lamine.

_______________________________________________
simple mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.dynamicsoft.com/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 00:57:25 -0400

> use this contact address to run another application we have defined.

I think you may not be talking about the contact header. The contact
header is used to determine where to send SIP NOTIFY requests, thats it.
It must be a SIP URL. You are talking about some kind of address that
would be used to launch another application. Presumably, if A subscribes
to B, A learns this address from the NOTIFY requests sent to it from B,
and then can use that to communicate. If this is what you have in mind,
you are actually talking about a contact address within the PIDF
document in the NOTIFY. This is purposefully extensible and can support
any type of URL.

However, there is no such thing as a tcp URL, as in your example above.
That is most certainly NOT what you want. 

-Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com
_______________________________________________
simple mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.dynamicsoft.com/mailman/listinfo/simple