Subject: [Simple] updated buddy list package draft

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 17:34:39 -0400

Folks,

I've submitted an update to the buddy list event package. As this is now 
a charter item based on our new charter, it also has a new -ietf name. 
Until it appears in the archives, you can pick it up at:

http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/draft-ietf-simple-presencelist-package-00.txt

Some of the changes since the previous version:

* change from the term "buddy list" to "presence list" and "buddy" to 
"presentity" since apparently buddy list is an AOL term.

* specified a new XML document type, using XML schema, that adds list 
capability to PIDF. THis is now a mandatory-to imeplement type for this 
package. You also need to support PIDF and MAY support multipart/mixed.

* a presence-list can contain presentities and also other 
presence-lists. This requires the presence list server (PLS) to itself 
use the presence-list package when subscribing to elements in the list, 
and then backing off to regular presence if that package is not 
supported. This is a potential issue.

* formal specification of algorithm to support partial updates.

* IANA registrations of new namespace and MIME type.

There are several open issues. I will send separate emails on those, one 
per each open issue, in order to facilitate discussion.

THanks,
Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
simple mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.dynamicsoft.com/mailman/listinfo/simple