Subject: [Simple] Question: draft-ietf-simple-presencelist-package-00.

From: "Sriram Parameswar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2002 18:41:48 -0500

Jonathan/Ben:

Question on the 'presencelist' draft. 

Section 3.5 NOTIFY bodies :
"The PIDF format only supports information for a single presentity.
Therefore, its usage is limited to notifications that report a change in
state for a single presentity. It is mandated in order to facilitate
operation of the PLS. The PLS can simply pass on any presence documents it
receives from the presentities in a notification, without modification."

Does this mean in a presencelist of A, B and C. If the Notify from B comes
back to the PLS with a PIDF body, it is passed on unmodified? The reason I
ask is that in section 4.2 (Constructing Coherent Presence State)there is
extensive discussion on the use of version and state - which is available
only in PLIDF.

My guess is that the PLS (which sends out individual SUBSCRIBEs) has to
convert from PIDF to PLIDF when receiving individual NOTIFYs spaced out in
time. Section 3.5 may need some changes to clarify this.

Thanks,

Sriram
__________________________________________
Sriram Parameswar              Phone: 972-685-8540
Interactive Multimedia Server (IMS) Fax: 972-684-3986
Nortel Networks, Richardson USA  Email: [email-masked]

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 02:11:55 -0400

inline.

Sriram Parameswar wrote:
> operation of the PLS. The PLS can simply pass on any presence documents
> it receives from the presentities in a notification, without
> modification."
> 
> Does this mean in a presencelist of A, B and C. If the Notify from B
> comes back to the PLS with a PIDF body, it is passed on unmodified? 

The idea was that this should be allowed, yes.

> The
> reason I ask is that in section 4.2 (Constructing Coherent Presence
> State)there is extensive discussion on the use of version and state -
> which is available only in PLIDF.

True. However, the spec also talks about handlign the case of PIDF and 
multipart/mixed, in which case the version is "faked" to be one higher 
than the previous, and the state is assumed to be partial.

> convert from PIDF to PLIDF when receiving individual NOTIFYs spaced out
> in time. Section 3.5 may need some changes to clarify this.

It was my hope to avoid needless conversions of formats. Amongst other 
things, they will break any e2e signatures.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
simple mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.dynamicsoft.com/mailman/listinfo/simple