Subject: [Simple] -05 MESSAGE and Expires header

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 07:39:12 -0500

Ben:

Any reasons why -05 MESSAGE I-D overloads "Expires: 0" to mean
immediate attention.  Maybe we can use "Priority: Urgent" instead; since
the Priority header is defined in 3261 and "may be factored into
decisions about call routing and acceptance".

I think that overloading the Expires header here is confusing; 3261's
use of "Expires: 0" in conjunction with REGISTER means something
entirely different -- that this registration is invalid.  From a
semantic point of view, "Expires: 0" with REGISTER to mean
deregistration appears to make sense; but "Expires: 0" with MESSAGE to
mean immediate delivery appears incongrous.

If it is not too late, maybe you can consider using the Priority header.
I won't be able to make it to simple WG meeting tomorrow, so I just
wanted to bring this to you attention.

Thanks,

- vijay

_______________________________________________
simple mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.dynamicsoft.com/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: "Cullen Jennings" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 17:15:50 -0700

To quote the honorable Mr. Sparks "leave it alone"

I don't think that it is fundamentally broken (other than of course the lame
name). Priority is definitely not the right thing to use. I would vote for
just going with it as it is.

Cullen

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Vijay K.
> Gurbani
> Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 5:39 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Simple] -05 MESSAGE and Expires header
>
>
> Ben:
>

---

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 19:29:22 -0500

Yes--this was pretty much the mood of the room in the SIMPLE wg meeting. 
It was also mentioned that this is a SIP draft, and any decisions must 
be made on the SIP list. (I am copying this message to SIP).

So, my current plan is to leave it alone. If others disagree, please 
express that on the SIP list.

Thanks!

Ben.