Subject: Re: [Simple] A omment to draft-olson-simple-publish-01

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 00:33:00 -0500

inline.

[email-masked] wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > Thanks for the much improved -01. One comment though:
 >
 > Although the draft says that 489 (Bad Event) should be sent in case
 > the composer doesn't understand the published event state, there is
 > no mention of Allow-Events used in that case. Allow-Events is
 > mandatory in 489 according to RFC 3265. If it is also mandatory for
 > 489 to a PUBLISH, it would seem logical that it is also (optionally)
 > used with OPTIONS (for one). Would then Allow-Events in a 2xx to
 > OPTIONS indicate support for SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY, or PUBLISH, or both?

Neither. The Allow header indicates whether SUB/NOT and/or PUBLISH are 
supported. Allow-Events indicates the event packages supported. It may 
be that a UA doesn't permit outside elements to PUBLISH for a specific 
event package it supports, but thats really a policy issue, not an issue 
of whether some package or method is implemented.

 >
 > Why not a new pair of headers, which share the event-type (for
 > packages) namespace with Event/Allow-Events, something like what's
 > described in
 >
 > http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-niemi-simple-publish-framew-
 > ork-00.txt
 >
 > AFAIK, we are not running out of space with header names ;)

No. However, I really don't see the need for defining another entire 
package concept for publications. I would propose that any "publication" 
not tied to events (such as uploading a CPL) is probably not going to 
have the same requirements that event publication has, and probably is a 
better fit for the data manipulations being discussed in the data 
requirements document and Markus's semantics draft.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
simple mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.dynamicsoft.com/mailman/listinfo/simple