Subject: RE: [Simple] 3GPP Messaging requirements

From: "Milt Roselinsky" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 14:15:31 -0800

Aki,

Thank you for putting together this summary of messaging
requirements for 3GPP.  Sorry I didn't reply earlier but
I was informed of this activity very recently.

I participated in the 3GPP SA1 messaging sub-working group
that wrote the stage 1 requirements for 3GPP messaging.
I have a few suggestions that would make your ID more complete.

First, I suggest changing the word "wireless" in the title
to "3GPP" to more clearly reflect the contents of the ID.

Section 3.2 Message Content Requirements
Regarding the OPEN ISSUE on content sequencing.  The sequencing of media in
3GPP messaging is currently handled by a subset of the Synchronized
Multimedia Integration Language (SMIL).

As mentioned in Section 2, terminals are simple devices and there is often a
problem with terminals trying to exchange multimedia messages when the
media support in thesender and recipient don’t match up. There is a
requirement that says:
The recipient's network MUST be able to take into account
the recipient's terminal capabilities and translate
message content into a form that can be used on the recipient’s terminal.

NOTE: Although this isn’t a protocol issue, there are a minimum set of media
formats that MUST be supported in all 3GPP messaging clients, defined in
3GPP TS 26.140 and 3GPP TS 26.234.

Section 3.4 Message Delivery and Handling Requirements
There is an additional 3GPP requirement that says:
It MUST be possible for the UA be able to store immediate messages in a
persistent network-based message store and then to subsequently retrieve,
list, delete and forward immediate messages.

The statement of requirements for message filtering in section 3.4 is
incomplete.  Some filtering criteria from the 3GPP requirements were left
off of the list.

The original wording of 3.4 says:
   It MUST be possible to divert or block instant messages as part of a
   user configurable option.  Such mechanisms MUST support instant
   message diversion based on sender address, message size, message
   priority, message subject, message class and message content type.
   The mechanism MAY support instant message diversion based on other
   message properties.

The missing message filter criteria are message type and recipient’s
presence status.

There are also a number of required actions resulting from a filter
match beyond divert and block. These are:
1)	Store the message content and notify recipient.
2)	Store the message content for a specific time or until the recipient
requests delivery.
3)	Store and push the message content to recipient when available.

In the Normative References section, in addition to 3GPP TR 22.940 the ID
should also refer to 3GPP TS 23.340, "IMS Messaging Stage 1".

Best regards,
Milt Roselinsky
Openwave Systems
[email-masked]
+1.805.884.6207

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
> [email-masked]
> Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 2:37 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Simple] 3GPP Messaging requirements
>
>
> Hi All,
>
> Like promised in Yokohama, there is now a document available
> describing the 3GPP requirements to Instant Messaging. It lists
> requirements for both pager mode and session mode IM. Here's a
> link for your convenience:
>
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-niemi-simple-im-wireless
-reqs-00.txt

I'd especially like to draw your attention to the requirements for session
mode IM, as well as the requirements for data manipulation.

Note also, that when 3GPP talks about session based messaging, there is a
strong flavor of multiparty sessions to it. The conferencing aspects, and
the chat-room type aspects of this document should be considered already in
the current message session work.

Cheers,
Aki

_______________________________________________
simple mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.dynamicsoft.com/mailman/listinfo/simple

_______________________________________________
simple mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.dynamicsoft.com/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 01:44:19 -0500

This note is timely. I am about to submit an IM requirements I-D which 
incorporates some of the requirements from Aki's draft (those which we 
can't do and require SIP/SIMPLE work), in addition to some others that I 
believe we need to address.

Comments inline.

> message content into a form that can be used on the recipient’s terminal.

Content transcoding has been an active area of debate for sipping 
recently. I think we concluded it was out of scope in sipping. I think 
its out of scope here too; those requirements need to go to opes.

> The missing message filter criteria are message type and recipient’s

What is message type?

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---

From: "Milt Roselinsky" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 08:44:38 -0800

> > The missing message filter criteria are message type and recipient’s

immediate or session based message

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 11:50:31 -0500

> immediate or session based message

Just to be sure we are on the same page with terminology, "immediate" is 
page mode (i.e, RFC 3428, the MESSAGE method), and session-based are as 
per draft-campbell-simple-im-sessions?

-Jonathan R.

---

From: "Milt Roselinsky" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 09:08:05 -0800

> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Jonathan
> Rosenberg
> Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 8:51 AM
> To: Milt Roselinsky
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Simple] 3GPP Messaging requirements
>
>
>
>
> Milt Roselinsky wrote:

Session-based is covered well by draft-campbell-simple-im-sessions.

I think there are still some outstanding issues WRT using MESSAGE method
for immediate messaging.  It works well for short messages but for larger
multimedia messages there are still a lot of outstanding issues and
questions.

Best regards,
Milt

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 01:15:21 -0500

Milt Roselinsky wrote:

> multimedia messages there are still a lot of outstanding issues and

For larger messages, we have several answers:

1. use session mode,
2. use content indirection
3. congestion safety

-Jonathan R.