Subject: [Simple] PUBLISH: Facet header needed?

From: "Peterson, Jon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 19:20:30 -0500

It has been argued that the Facet header of the PUBLISH method is
superfluous. Facet describes "the intended destination or grouping of event
state from the publishers point of view" in order to allow the compositor to
apply per-destination policies to published presence information. However,
the Data Manipulation Requirements draft also (draft-ietf-simple-data-req)
outlines a mechanism for establishing user policies about what information
various subscribers should receive. So Facet provides a similar service, and
it has been argued that the only real difference is that Facet specifies
these policies at publication time. 

Anyone feel strongly that we need Facet?

Jon Peterson
NeuStar, Inc.

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 00:51:27 -0500

I think it should go.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com