Subject: RE: [Simple] Event header params in event list subscriptions

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 14:32:41 -0600

From: Robert Sparks [mailto:[email-masked]]

> Step away from the example he gave and look at the question
> again. Suppose an event carries parameters on the Event header
> that somehow affect processing the subscription. Suppose further
> that there might be an effect that can't be characterized as
> "filtering". What then? The answer certainly isn't going to
> come out of the filtering work.

It's not obvious to me that such parameters could be characterized
as anything other than filtering. Can you provide an example?

/a
_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Mar 2003 14:50:27 -0600

Off the top of my head, no. But, we put an extension point on the
Event header field. Are you comfortable saying that no one will
ever find a use for it that isn't an expression of a filter? I'm
not.

If you convince me that such parameters can only be filters, and
we determine that bodies are the right place to express filters
(which is the direction I think we're taking) then I'll argue to
remove the ability to carry parameters in that header field.

I don't think you're disagreeing with the action plan to remove
the point that started this thread from the document though, right?

RjS