Subject: RE: [Simple] Urgent: Event Lists Open Issue

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 15:12:01 -0600

Jonathan Rosenberg [mailto:[email-masked]] writes:

> Filters are specific to the type of resource you are subscribing
> to. Thus, if you subscribe to a list, the filters have to know its
> a list.

Because of the change we decided to make in Atlanta,
the subscriber does not know whether the resource is a
list. Since the subscriber is specifying the filters,
you *can't* send one type of filter for a single resource,
and a different type for a list; you don't know which one
you're subscribing to.

You might argue that the UAC sitting in front of a user
*will* generally know whether the resource is a list,
the RLS to which it subscribes may need to create
back-end subscriptions to service the subscription.
By the very nature of the change that we agreed to in
Atlanta -- that subscriptions can have arbitrary
nesting -- the RLS cannot know whether this backend
subscription is for a list. We cannot have one type of
filter for a list, and a different type for a single
resource.

/a
_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 17:26:01 -0500

inline.

> and a different type for a list; you don't know which one

Right. So, that means that our filters for presence need to work for 
lists too. I think thats pretty easy. In the most common case, your 
filters are things like "dont send me geoloc" or "send me notifications 
only when the basic status goes to open". These kinds of filters make 
perfect sense for a single user subscription, and also for a list 
subscription. In the latter case, they simply apply to each element in 
the list. The only problematic case is where you want to specify 
different filters for each presentity. I think we need only leave hooks 
for such a mechanism in the filter work, and then we can work the 
details later.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Scientist                             Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com