Subject: RE: [Simple] some thoughts on "warnings"

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Mar 2003 16:46:14 -0600

On Sat, 2003-02-22 at 20:09, Cullen Jennings wrote:
> Can you trust Henning's PA to correctly tabulate warns that warn against
> Henning?
> 

I have similar concerns, as it is hard for me to imagine such an
approach being useful outside of a walled-garden provider environment. I
think this is a place where we would definitely be well served to
thoroughly understand the requirements prior to building the
mechanism--in particular, the trust models involved.

> This seems like a push mechanism where every time someone adds a warn on
> somebody the message broadcast all over the place. It might be better to
> have it more a pull mechanism so that when you want to find out if you
> should trust AOR trying to contact you, you can query some set of people to
> get a warning for the AOR. The set of people could be random or a set or
> people you trust. (I have no idea what trust means in this context :-)

One model that comes to mind is some sort of third-party, trusted
clearing house for warning information, where my relationship with the
clearing house is unrelated to the other party's relationship with their
service provider. Or maybe something like an anti-spam black-hole list.
It is not obvious to me that PUBLISH is the solution for either of those
architectures.

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 02:38:56 -0500

OK, I am convinced that this is sufficiently difficult to do correctly 
that we should not attempt to address it at this time.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com