Subject: [Simple] SIMPLEt Report

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 May 2003 10:41:28 -0600

This week's SIMPLEt was very successful. We had around a
dozen implementations from 9 attending teams.

We successfully exercised many Event: presence subscription
use cases, including
- use of TLS between 4 implementations
- interoperable exchange and use of application/cpim-pidf+xml
  documents with private extensions
- Subscriptions established by a NOTIFY arriving before the
  2xx-SUBSCRIBE
- servers shortening subscriptions in NOTIFYs beyond the
  initial NOTIFY
- Forked SUBSCRIBEs

We successfully exercised text-plain MESSAGE exchange.

We also successfully exercised a pair of early implementations
of PUBLISH.

We discovered a need to clarify the definition of
"dialog-establishing NOTIFY" and build a better description
of when a subscriptions should be terminated based on NOTIFY
error responses. (Recoverable errors such as 401 or 420 should
not destroy the subscription).

We addressed an interesting question: What do you do when the
set of types in the Accept: set for dialog changes and you find
yourself needing to send a NOTIFY but can no longer generate an
Accept-able document. The consensus was to terminate the subscription
with reason="deactivated" to stimulate a new SUBSCRIBE so a new
Accept set can be established.

There were a few client implementation errors handling the
NOTIFYs generated by a forked SUBSCRIBE, resulting in 
multiple dialogs being established. The consequences of those
errors were shown to be contained within the erroneous element.

There was no significant testing of Event: presence.winfo and
there was no testing of event-lists or RPIDs at this event.
Having sufficient implementations to focus on those concepts
at SIPIT 13 looks promising.

RjS

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple