Subject: RE: [Simple] XCAP and Webdav (was: XCAP batching)

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 16:32:32 -0500

> Sure, but why wouldn't you use XPATH to change pieces of the 
> document on the client side then send the whole thing back to
> the server?  Over Internet latencies with files this small,
> this is likely to be faster for the user anyway.

When your access technology is CDMA 1xRTT or UMTS (or even current
deployments of GPRS), minimization of bytes sent is somewhat
more important than it is for, say, DSL or DOCSIS users.
Utilization of scarce radio channel resources (and the resultant
volume-based billing) is at least as important as the latency
induced by potentially low data rates.

Wireless presence is one of the many drivers behind the SIMPLE
work right now, so we need to take these constraints into account
when designing our protocols.

/a
_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 15:07:49 -0700

> induced by potentially low data rates.

These links suck pretty badly for latency as well.  Which is worse, 
consuming bw or RTTs?  I think you make a good case why using lots of 
bandwidth is a problem, but not why its more of a problem than having 
lots of delay.

thx,
-r

---

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 15:07:49 -0700

thx,
-r

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 22:19:22 -0400

Why couldn't you structure the buddy list like a logical directory, 
where retrieving the directory gets the whole list, but each 'file' is 
one entry? As in

example.com/buddy/
example.com/buddy/[email-masked]

etc. For typical operations, like adding and deleting buddy list 
members, you'd have one DELETE etc. operation. No need for XPath, 
fragment identifiers or anything else fancy.

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 22:19:22 -0400

example.com/buddy/

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 22:19:36 -0400

example.com/buddy/

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 22:19:36 -0400

example.com/buddy/