Subject: Re: [Simple] Slides for this afternoon's discussions on publish

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 11:43:15 -0400

I didn't participate in the discussion on PUBLISH, but some questions on 
possibly related HTTP mechanisms:

- In the interest of having methods that mean what they say, why not 
follow the HTTP/1.1 lead and use DELETE to remove a publication?

- Entity-Tags (RFC 2616, Section 14.19) provide content identification.

Since PUBLISH is a kin of WebDAV and the HTTP content model, might as 
well at least consider the existing solutions...

Robert Sparks wrote:

> http://www.nostrum.com/~rjsparks/simple-interim-may03-publish.ppt  
> http://www.nostrum.com/~rjsparks/simple-interim-may03-xcap.ppt
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Simple mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 11:43:15 -0400

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 13:20:07 -0400

> follow the HTTP/1.1 lead and use DELETE to remove a publication?

Published state is soft-state. So far, everywhere else in SIP 
(registrations, subscriptions), we have used Expires:0 to delete 
soft-state. Seems better to be consistent with that.

> well at least consider the existing solutions...

The proposal I had made in the slides was to use the 
If-Unmodified-Since header from here; not clear to me how etags is 
better or worse.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Scientist                             Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 13:20:07 -0400

-Jonathan R.