Subject: RE: [Simple] comments on rpids-01 - <placetype>

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 15:08:29 -0400

Hi Henning,

question inline.

>-----Original Message-----
>From: ext Henning Schulzrinne [mailto:[email-masked]]
>Sent: Friday, June 27, 2003 11:32 AM
>To: Peterson, Jon
>Cc: 'Rosen, Brian'; Simpletons (E-mail)
>Subject: Re: [Simple] comments on rpids-01 - <placetype>
>
>
>
>
>Peterson, Jon wrote:
>
>
>
>
>> Well, I think it's pretty unlikely that, say, geoloc will be 
>able to be
>> transformed into a <placetype> anytime soon, and even 
>setting cell-phone
>> profiles is user entry. It seems to me that these have a realistic
>> dependency on user provisioning. 
>
>In addition to the real-life BlueTooth example I gave in an earlier 
>note, the transformation from geoloc into placetype isn't all that 
>difficult, at least for the common cases. All I need is a trivial 
>mapping that says "if geoloc is within polygon X, I'm at home; if in 
>polygon Y (covering the area between 110 and 120th Street and Broadway 
>and Amsterdam), I'm at my office; otherwise, default to public". This 
>doesn't deal with all cases, such as visiting other places, 
>but it will 
>be correct at least 90% of the time, with no central database, new 
>protocols or anything else beyond basic geoloc.

Would a watcher be able to obtain each (seemingly individual) definition of the
<home> and <work> semantics (like the one you gave for your definition of home and work
within your presence information)? 

Dirk

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 15:38:10 -0400

> within your presence information)? 

I'm not sure I completely understand your question, so please try again 
if I'm not answering it. Each tuple could have a separate <placetype> 
definition. In our prototype, each device can individually discover that 
property, either by inference from the location or by a short-range 
'placetype/privacy/location' beacon for indoor environments.

It is up to the presentity to decide whether this information is then 
delivered to the watcher or not, or is simply used by the compositor to 
filter tuples, but not actually delivered to watchers.

In a different context (geopriv), I have proposed a mechanism how a 
presentity can easily set policies on the propagation of individual 
RPIDS (and PIDF) elements to particular watchers.

Henning

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 15:38:10 -0400

Henning