Subject: [Simple] comments on rpids-01 <displacement>

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 17:13:40 +0300

I know this element does not exist, but I was wondering if its useful to have an element that indicates how far a user is from his/her device. This might help when, for example, I move any from my device or when I'm sitting right next to it, but having my lunch. I could indicate if I'm far from or near to the device. This overlaps a little with the current <activity> element.

Just a thought.

Hisham

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 15:20:57 -0400

Your employer might be in a position to build such a device, but I'm a 
little confused how you'd keep this information current. Also, it may 
well be that the geoloc PIDF extensions can provide this information. 
One model is that each tuple has geoloc information and that one tuple 
somehow indicates "this is the person" (if the presentity does indeed 
represent a single human being). The tuple may well be associated with a 
device, e.g., a cellphone carried by the user that has access to (A-)GPS 
data. See http://www.gadgeteer.org/ for an example.

That would allow the watcher to derive distance information, but does 
reveal somewhat more information.

[email-masked] wrote:

> I know this element does not exist, but I was wondering if its useful
> to have an element that indicates how far a user is from his/her
> device. This might help when, for example, I move any from my device
> or when I'm sitting right next to it, but having my lunch. I could
> indicate if I'm far from or near to the device. This overlaps a
> little with the current <activity> element.
> 
> Just a thought.
> 
> Hisham
> 
> _______________________________________________ Simple mailing list 
> [email-masked] https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 15:20:57 -0400