Subject: RE: [Simple] SIMPLE - IM

From: Silvi Kates <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 12:19:48 +0300

Thanks for your answer.
 
I have another small question.
Does the known format of IM and Presence (MESSAGE, SUBSCRIBE, NOTIFY ...)
used the same way on wireless networks and on wired networks?
 
If not, can anyone point me to some document about the difference between
those networks?
(or documents of how it being handled on wireless networks?)
Thanks again.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 12:13 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Simple] SIMPLE - IM
 
Hi Silvi,
 
There will be two different paradigms for SIP IM: one-shot messages using
MESSAGE method, and messaging sessions using MSRP as the transport protocol
for messages. MSRP does not run on top of SIP but directly on top of TCP.
SIP INVITE & BYE are just used to setup the messaging session (using normal
SDP negotiation). The justification for the two paradigms is quite well
presented in the first two chapters of the draft mentioned in your mail. 
 
SIP MESSAGE is already an RFC 3428: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3428.txt
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3428.txt> , and supported by many
implementations. Messaging Sessions and MSRP are still in a draft phase, but
getting quite close to be ready. This means that they should appear in the
"real world" in the next few months.
 
Rgs,
    Markus 
-----Original Message-----
From: ext Silvi Kates [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 22 July, 2003 11:49
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [Simple] SIMPLE - IM
Hi,
So far on all the documents and applications of Instant message the Method
for sending IM messages was
MESSAGE.
Now I came across this draft:
http://www.potaroo.net/ietf/ids/draft-ietf-simple-message-sessions-01.txt
<http://www.potaroo.net/ietf/ids/draft-ietf-simple-message-sessions-01.txt> 
Which I found in here: http://www.potaroo.net/ietf/ids-wg-simple.html
<http://www.potaroo.net/ietf/ids-wg-simple.html> 
 
That's suggests that instead of using the MESSAGE method, there are now new
methods (SEND , VISIT, BIND)
Of the  MSRP (message session relay protocol) that are carried over SIP.
Is this only a suggestion, or does it really used in real life, on SIP IM
applications?

Thanks
 Silvi