Subject: Re: [Simple] comments on rpids-01 <activity>, <idlesince>

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 10:36:54 -0500

Henning Schulzrinne wrote:
[...]
> Thus, for a cell phone, the useful bit of information is a *short* idle 
> time. A long idle time says very little, unless I happen to know that 
> you are a compulsive mobile phone user so that a long idle time might 
> tell me something is amiss.

Right; <idlesince> is a valuable piece of information that can
be leveraged not only for cell phones, but traditional ones as
well.  One could just as well represent a wired phone as a tuple in
a presence document.

One of the experiences we gleaned from prototyping the
presence/availability of a user using a wireline phone tuple
was exactly how long a user may be 'present and available' near a
phone once the conversation ended.  The <idlesince> element imparts
this information succintly to a watcher.

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani  vkg@{lucent.com,research.bell-labs.com,acm.org}
Wireless Networks Group/Internet Software and Services
Lucent Technologies/Bell Labs Innovations, 2000 Lucent Lane, Rm 6G-440
Naperville, Illinois 60566     Voice: +1 630 224 0216

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 10:36:54 -0500

- vijay