Subject: [Simple] comments on rpids-01

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 10:10:46 -0400

From the abstract:

>   presentity and its contacts. This information can be translated into
>    call routing behavior or be delivered to watchers. 

You might want to add "for example" to the end. It makes it sounds 
like those are the only two things you can do with presence.

section 6.1:

> [7], using the namespace identifier 'ietf' defined by [8] and
>    extended by [9]:
> 
> 
>       urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:sip-rpids

I think it makes sense to define these within the pidf namespace. 
Thats what I did in the phone state draft. So, it would be:

urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:pidf:sip-rpids

However, as Jon had mentioned in his notes to the list, I think it 
makes more sense to perhaps break these up into groups of attributes, 
with differing namespaces for each. Namespaces are a very convenient 
way to group attributes, and to use for specifying filter and 
authorization policies. In xcap, we have permissions which allow for a 
watcher to see specific namespaces.

section 6.2:

>       Sleeping: This activity category can often be generated
>              automatically from a calendar or local time information.

or from the pressure of ones face on the keyboard when you fall asleep 
when working :)

>   In-transit: The presentity is riding in a vehicle, such as a
>              car, but not steering.

I think we might want more granularity here. I think there are useful 
distinctions between riding in a car and a plane, for example. So, I'd 
prefer to have a few vehicle-specific versions of this (obviously you 
need to draw the line somewhere, and I wouldnt include things like 
hovercraft or UFO...)

Also, there is "headset" which says that the user is wearing their 
headset on their wireless phone. Its also a common wireless handset 
style that can be automatically derived.

> 6.3 Card
> 
>    The <card> element provides a URI pointing to a business card, e.g.,
>    in LDIF or vCard format.

Don't we need to mandate a particular format?

> 6.5 From Element
> 
>    The <from> element indicates how long the current status has been
>    valid, expressed as an absolute time.

Wouldnt it make sense to apply this to a particular attribute 
(placetype, activity, etc.) rather than to the status element as a whole?

> 6.9 Type of Place Element
> 
>    The <placetype> element describes the type of place the presentity is
>    currently at. This offers the watcher an indication what kind of
>    communication is likely to be appropriate. We define an initial set
>    of values below:

Another one that appears on wireless handsets as a "style" is 
"Outdoors", which says that you are out and walking around. I think 
thats a useful one to add.

In the IANA registration for the sip-rpids namespace, the XML says:

>         <body>
>                     <h1>Namespace for SIMPLE rich presence extension</h1>
>                     <h2>application/cpim-pidf+xml</h2>

<h2> should contain the URN, not a content-type. This bug has been 
present in all of my XML-registering drafts for some time, and seems 
to have propagated.

You should register the schemas as well. This allows IANA to assign a 
stable URI that can be used in the schemaLocation attribute of import 
statements in schema declarations.

And one last nit:

>  Jonathan Rosenberg
>    dynamicsoft
>    72 Eagle Rock Avenue
>    First Floor
>    East Hanover, NJ 07936
>    USA
>    Email: [email-masked]

my address has changed, see sig below for updated info.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple