Subject: RE: [Simple] New I-D on presence states for phones

From: "MANSOOR Usama FTRD/DMR/LON" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 13:18:21 +0200

Hi Ashir,

Thanks for pointing me towards how to obtain the timezone info. Now, with this information, I would like a kind of 'presence state' (apologies if that's the wrong terminology) that shows quickly that I'm available, but, say, 5 hours ahead. So, a presence state that is the timezone. 

- Usama

-----Original Message-----
From: Ashir Ahmed [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 1:27 AM
To: MANSOOR Usama FTRD/DMR/LON; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Simple] New I-D on presence states for phones

Hi Mansoor,
A location object carries location information (geographic or civil)  of a
device.
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-geopriv-reqs-03.txt

Time-zone information can be included into the location object as a location
data type or can be calculated locally by the presence server or by the
endpoint.

Ashir

----- Original Message -----
From: "MANSOOR Usama FTRD/DMR/LON" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2003 6:57 PM
Subject: RE: [Simple] New I-D on presence states for phones

Knowing the link characteristics (bandwidth, delay, etc.) would certainly be
a useful thing for mobile networks, for services that adapt to the different
constraints.

What I'd also like to see, in addition to the roaming, is some kind of
indication of what time zone you're in. Hopefully this would allow telesales
people to know not to call me 3.00 am in the morning asking if I would like
buy some double glazing when I'm roaming in a different country :)

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 1:50 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Simple] New I-D on presence states for phones

Hi,

I think this draft defines bunch of useful information. However, I would
definitely take away the "signal-strength" attribute under the wireless
phone state. As already stated in the draft, this information is changing
frequently, so I think it is not sensible in the timescale that SIP events
work. And even if it would be possible to convey this information, what
would it mean in GPRS, WCDMA or WiFi? Is there any use case what any watcher
could in _practice_ benefit from this information?

What might be useful as an addition to "ran" is some more information on the
access-link, i.e. that the "downlink capacity class" is ~40 kbps, and "RTT
class" is ~500 ms. This _kind_ of information might give watchers some idea
what _kind_ of applications/media the device could be able to do at the
moment (although you could find that out also through PIDF/prescaps and SDP
negotiations). This kind of info is relatively static (in the order of
minutes rather than seconds), but still changing. In any case, this would be
more valuable than "signal-strength".

Markus

> -----Original Message-----
> From: ext Jonathan Rosenberg [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 08 July, 2003 09:42
> To: Simple WG
> Subject: [Simple] New I-D on presence states for phones
>
>
> Folks,
>
> In case folks havent seen it, I wanted to call your attention to:
>
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rosenberg-peterson-s
imple-pidf-phone-00.txt
http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/draft-rp-simple-pidf-phone-00.txt
http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/draft-rp-simple-pidf-phone-00.html

This draft, written by Jon and myself, defines some PIDF extensions
for describing phones, including traditional "black" phones, wireless
phones and enterprise phones. I think these will provide invaluable
for a device-centric view of a presentity.

Comments and questions welcome.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.
--
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 18:57:06 -0400

Location objects are being discussed in the GEOPRIV working group. You 
may want to follow the discussion there. (There are efforts in GEOPRIV 
that effectively extend the PIDF presence format.) I suspect that 
timezone is really a third 'coordinate system', next to geospatial and 
civil, as it is not clearly aligned with either. (Timezones are usually 
by country, sometimes by county, but just by longitude in international 
waters.)

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 18:57:06 -0400