Subject: [Simple] Question about the Waiting state

From: Orly Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 12:05:40 +0300

Hi.

According to winfo-package-05: 
"If, while in the waiting state, the subscription is refreshed through
another Subscribe, it moves back into the pending state".

Also in the Subscription state-machine as defined in section 4.7.1, there is
a transition from state waiting to state pending in case of an incoming
Subscribe.

My question is:
How is it possible to handle a refresh request in the Waiting state, after
we already sent a Notify(terminated)? (when the state changed from Pending
to Terminated).
From what I understand, the Waiting state is an internal state, but the real
subscription has terminated.
If so, how can we change its state back to pending?

Thanks,
Orly Rosenberg.

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 11:24:27 -0400

inline.

> If so, how can we change its state back to pending?

You are correct. This is an error. By definition, in waiting state, 
the subscription has terminated. A new subscription from the watcher 
would result in a NEW instance of the state machine, which then 
transitions to pending. In this case, there are now two instances of 
the state machine - one in waiting, and one in pending. A good 
implementation would probably transition the machine in the waiting 
state to terminated, since the information it had captured isn't 
really needed anymore. The only case that both would be needed is if 
they contained filters asking for different information.

I believe the best way to address this is to add some 
clarifying/correcting text during authors 48 hours.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 11:24:27 -0400

inline.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.