Subject: [Simple] RE: [Geopriv] Individuals, hats and spheres

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 13:44:04 -0400

>Thus, my proposal: RPID adds a <sphere> element that has a few 
>standard 
>labels, such as 'home' and 'work', with other labels that can 
>be added. 
>The primary purpose of this information is not so much in the NOTIFY, 
>but in the PUBLISH phase. The idea is that I can publish my 
>'sphere' and 
>this will automatically switch between different modes of visibility, 
>different sets of rules. In the rule language being discussed in 
>GEOPRIV, this might take the form
>
>Person        sphere    access
>-------------------------------------------------------
>boss@work     work      location,activity
>friend        home      busy/idle
>spouse        home,work location
>bowling buddy bowling   location
>
>Note that this is not a group as traditionally understood - the same 
>person may well share multiple spheres with me. Also, unlike 
>groups, the 
>visibility depends on my activity, not just a membership in a list.
>
>While the sphere information would often have to be derived 
>manually, it 
>is plausible that external hints can be used. Sometimes location will 
>do, but only in the narrowest sense ("at work site"). Time 
>will only be 
>useful if users are meticulous about keeping calendars and have very 
>regular schedules. Other hints are probably better, such as 
>being logged 
>into a VPN for work, or wearing a work badge.
>
>The current RPID <placetype> and <activity> come close, but are not 
>quite the same.
>

I like the idea of enabling a certain set of rules (as opposed to have conditional single
rules, the condition being e.g., the identity of the watcher) based on a certain condition. 
However, I was wondering whether this is intended to be bound to the <sphere> element? 
Let me try to describe the underlying, general method that I understood from your proposal:
   Allow for enabling a defined set of rules based on a certain condition, in which the
condition would be a certain value/range of an RPID element. 

Hence, with this understanding of your proposal in mind, would it be possible/desirable to
use other RPID elements? In this, I could define a set of rules that is enabled when 
<placetype> is "work" or <activity> is "meeting". 

Dirk

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 23:52:46 -0400

> condition would be a certain value/range of an RPID element. 

That is indeed the general problem. However, here, my objective is far 
narrower. I'm trying to capture one aspect of the 
condition/context/state of the presentity, namely its role-based 
interaction with other humans. There are many other variables, such as 
time, space, other physical measurements ("it's hot, so don't bother 
me") - all of which may be combined to select a certain set of 
permissions. Indeed, the core ruleset discussed in GEOPRIV contains some 
of these conditions (time, space).

I just happen to believe that for access to information about human 
activities, our relationship to humans and how we divide our life is one 
of the more important items.

> <placetype> is "work" or <activity> is "meeting". 

That is certainly possible and useful, in my view. I wanted to start 
small, with a broad brush. It might again be helpful to enumerate some 
plausible examples of privacy policies that real people are likely to 
use. I found that in many cases, the <placetype> or <activity> is really 
just a stand-in for "a part of my world that has distinct assumptions, 
expectations, obligations and conventions". I'm not a sociologist, so 
maybe there's a better term for this than sphere.

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 23:52:46 -0400