Subject: [Simple] general questions on presence information format

From: youngsun song <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 02:14:06 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
I just started looking at documents related to presence information and have a few questions.
 
The draft-ietf-impp-cpim-pidf document seems to define a baseline presence format that is to be extended for use by various presence applications. The documents that extend the pidf seem to be: draft-ietf-simple-rpids-01.txt, draft-rosenberg-peterson-simple-pidf-phone-00.txt, draft-lonnfors-simple-prescaps-ext-01.txt, etc.
Are these extensions considered fairly stable? If not, are there any timeframes by when these are expected to become stable?
Also, for the SIP-based presence applications currently implemented, are they then using private extensions of the pidf (or private presence formats)?
 
Thanks for any help you can provide.
YoungSun

---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 01:50:30 -0400

youngsun song wrote:

> The draft-ietf-impp-cpim-pidf document seems to define a baseline 
> presence format that is to be extended for use by various presence 
> applications. The documents that extend the pidf seem to be: 
> draft-ietf-simple-rpids-01.txt, 
> draft-rosenberg-peterson-simple-pidf-phone-00.txt, 
> draft-lonnfors-simple-prescaps-ext-01.txt, etc.
> Are these extensions considered fairly stable?

rpids is somewhat stable; I expect some more changes but its been 
through the ringer quite a bit already.

pidf-phone is very unstable - that was just the first proposal, and 
the scope will be substantially reduced in the next rev.

I think prescaps-ext also has some work to do, hasn't gotten a lot of 
air time yet really.

> If not, are there any 
> timeframes by when these are expected to become stable?

I'll let the chairs comment on that...

> Also, for the SIP-based presence applications currently implemented, are 
> they then using private extensions of the pidf (or private presence 
> formats)?

I think there are some private extensions. I know of deployments that 
use the baseline pidf though.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 01:50:30 -0400

-Jonathan R.