Subject: RE: [Simple] Discovery of an MSRP relay

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 10:56:06 -0500

Miguel A. Garcia [mailto:[email-masked]] writes:

> ...but if by policy, I 
> have to use the MSRP provided in my home network, and I am 
> roaming, it 
> won't work.

I don't see why not. Your home MSRP relay would be provisioned
in your terminal, so it would know to go there.

As an aside: what are you trying to do? The purpose of MSRP
relays is to solve issues with firewalls and/or NATs. Why would
you be tromboning back to your home network to find an MSRP
relay? I mean, if you can get to your home network, it's a
pretty good bet that you can hit the Internet as well, which
should give you a clear shot to the other participant (or
at least his relay).

/a

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: "Miguel A. Garcia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 10:49:54 +0300

Adam:

As an example of today's behavior. Most of us in Europe using GPRS are 
provided with a private IPv4 address when we use the service. 
Additionally, every home network will provide a firewall. So an MSRP 
relay might be needed for the purpose of NAT/firewall traversal.

The current practice indicates that, even in the case a user is roaming 
to another network, the public IP address belongs to the home network 
operator address space.

So I was thinking of how to make the MSRP relay, perhaps provided in a 
home network, available to the UA. You suggested that the UA should be 
provisioned with such address. And obviously this solution works, but I 
would like to explore some automatic configuration mechanism, as 
experience reveals that users don't know how / don't bother to configure 
applications.

As pointed out, the work done in SIPPING to configure or provide 
policies to the UA may solve the problem.

/Miguel

-- 
Miguel-Angel Garcia                     Oy LM Ericsson AB
                                         Jorvas, Finland
mailto:[email-masked]     Phone:  +358 9 299 3553
mailto:[email-masked]        Mobile: +358 40 514 0002

---

From: "Miguel A. Garcia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 10:49:54 +0300

Adam:

/Miguel