Subject: [Simple] MSRP: Administrative shutdown of relays

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 15:43:45 -0500

I just realized that we had one more subject brought up in Vienna where 
we decided to "take it to the list". Which of course has not yet happened.

The question was brought up that, in the previous version of MSRP where 
we refreshed state with BIND and VISIT, we had an implied mechanism by 
which a relay could shed load for shutdown. That is, is starts refusing 
refreshes until all sessions have expired.

Since we have moved to a keep-alive approach rather than the refresh 
approach, this is not as clean. A couple of approaches come to mind:

1) Start refusing _any_ SEND requests, then assume all the sessions are 
gone when the timeout period expires.

2) Just close all TCP connections and let the endpoints deal with it.

I find myself leaning toward 2, as 1 does not allow the endpoints to do 
anything useful on the session anyway.

Thoughts?

Ben.

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple