Subject: [Simple] Knowing which tuples to select

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 10:29:36 -0500

Folks,

As I mentioned in a previous note, per list discussion I removed 
transformational permissions from xcap-auth. Instead of havgin the 
xcap server apply the transformations, the idea proposed by Henning 
and others is to have a separate "application" in the network publish 
tuples for me that contain whatever information I wish to distribute. 
Indeed, the application itself might live in the endpoint as well.

THere are still some open questions about achieving interoperability 
in such an environment, particularly if the application lives in the 
network:

* how does the user configure the behavior of this application? I 
think this is out of scope; we are not going to try and provide 
standardized interfaces for this control - thats the whole idea.

* assuming the user controls the application somehow, it will begin 
publishing tuples. How does the client know the RPID class of those 
tuples, so that it can control their distribution via xcap?

I see only a few choices for the second issue:

* ignore the problem - presumably the application will tell the user 
through some kind of UI which class to select

* agree on a standardized naming convention for tuples published by 
such applications

* treat this as a configuration problem. The device needs to be 
configured with RPID class corresponding to tuples published by 
applications. In that case, we might be able to place this data into 
xcap itself, so that it can be read by the client device. This would 
presumably be a separate application usage.

I'm inclined to go for the third option.

Thoughts?

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple