Subject: [Simple] xcap/geopriv alignment issue 4: authentication

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 01:12:54 -0500

Folks,

Currently, xcap-auth defines an authentication condition. This allows 
you to decide whether to accept or reject a subscription based on the 
type of authentication used in the SUBSCRIBE request.

The geopriv policy specification currently has no such mechanism.

This was discussed during the geopriv meeting in Minneapolis. If you 
think about it for a bit, its not clear how this would actually get 
used. Remember, it is end users that will set these policies. What 
kind of meaningful information can be provided to a user about the 
differences between p-asserted-id and sip-identity and digest 
authentication? What would make a user give permission for one type or 
authentication, and not another? Practically speaking, it doesnt seem 
like its easy to use at all.

As a result, I would propose to remove the authentication condition 
from xcap-auth.

Comments?

-Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 14:57:28 -0600

Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:

> used. Remember, it is end users that will set these policies. What kind 
> of meaningful information can be provided to a user about the 
> As a result, I would propose to remove the authentication condition from 
> xcap-auth.
> 
> Comments?

I agree.

---

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 14:57:28 -0600

I agree.