Subject: [Simple] xcap/geopriv alignment issue 6: subscription confirmation

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 01:42:11 -0500

Folks,

In the current xcap-auth model, there is an important assumption that 
if there are no statements that apply to a watcher, the implication is 
that their subscription is pending, and that the presentity should get 
a winfo notification about the fact that its pending, so that they can 
make a policy decision. This assumption is based on another assumption 
I made, which is that the ONLY reason that a watcher would go into the 
pending state, is if you have not specified a policy for them yet.

However, geopriv doesnt make this assumption. They have an element 
called "confirm-subscription". If present, it means that the 
presentity should be alerted about the subscription, and asked for 
confirmation. As a result, there is a way to EXPLICITLY say "let me 
know if this person subscribes".

I think there are legitimate use cases for this, which came up during 
the geopriv meeting in Minneapolis. In particular, I may grant my boss 
permission to subscribe during the day, but during the evening, I want 
to be prompted each time, to see if I will grant it or not.

To do this, we could follow their lead and add a 
"confirm-subscription" boolean, which would explicitly place the 
watcher into the pending state.

I think this makes sense, and I would suggest adding this capability 
to xcap-auth.

-Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple