Subject: [Simple] XCAP comments

From: Aki Niemi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 19:06:13 +0200

Hi,

Overall, I like XCAP - it's elegant and well written. My comments are 
nothing major, but mostly nits and such.

Cheers,
Aki

---

- Chapter 4, paragraph beginning with "Resource Interdependencies", last 
sentence says:
	
	Concretely,
       this means that, after the server modifies the data, the entity
       tags are updated as if the client had made the change itself.

Does this mean that if the server changes something as a result of the 
XCAP operation, the change will show as one made by the client? Is that 
the right way to do it, because in effect this would not require the 
client to fetch this data, as it would seem like something already 
up-to-date?

I think the proper thing to do would be to make the etag different from 
the one given to the client.

- Chapter 5, 1st paragraph, last sentence seems to be missing text in 
the beginning which is a little confusing.

- Ch. 5.1, 4th paragraph, 1st sentence "identifies a documents".
                                                    ^^

- Ch 5.2 begins with "The second component". Isn't it rather the third 
component after the services root URI and AUID+users/global subtree?

- Ch 5.2, grammar: The document should give references to the XML 
specifications. Currently only XPath and XML Schema seem to be there.

- Ch 5.2, 3rd paragraph (not counting grammar), s/To determne/To determine/

- Ch 6.5, last paragraph, 2nd s., "...is up the local file..."
                                            ^ to

- Ch 7.2, 4th paragraph, 4th s., "...matches an ent within..." I guess 
should be "an existing attribute"?

- Ch 7.5, There was already a comment about etags usage on the list, so 
just to resonate that, it isn't immediately clear what the benefits are 
for having each attribute in an element have an etag that is independent 
of that element's etag.

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 03:54:52 -0500

inline.

Aki Niemi wrote:

> Hi,
> 
> Overall, I like XCAP - it's elegant and well written. 

Thanks!

> My comments are 
> XCAP operation, the change will show as one made by the client? 

No. This text is not clear at all (I think Hisham commented on it 
too). It means that, the server effectively acts like *another* 
client. So, if the actual client tried to do a PUT with If-Match on 
the Etag, it would fail. It needs to fetch the doc to get the update.

> Is that 

The client is required to fetch it, but the etags will make it clear 
that the client does not have an up to date copy.

> the one given to the client.

Yes. That is what is meant.

> the beginning which is a little confusing.

Stray text from lots of cut/paste. I removed it.

> - Ch. 5.1, 4th paragraph, 1st sentence "identifies a documents".

Fixed.

> component after the services root URI and AUID+users/global subtree?

I see why this is confusing. The document talks about root services 
URI, but it also says that the overall URI is divided into the 
Document URI and the node selector. The "2nd component" is referring 
to the "node selector" in the latter breakdown.

I clarified the wording.

> specifications. Currently only XPath and XML Schema seem to be there.

I know. I didnt get around to filling in the references.

> - Ch 5.2, 3rd paragraph (not counting grammar), s/To determne/To determine/

Fixed.

> - Ch 6.5, last paragraph, 2nd s., "...is up the local file..."

Fixed.

> should be "an existing attribute"?

Yup, fixed. More copy/paste errors.

> for having each attribute in an element have an etag that is independent 

Yes, I have posted on this separately.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 03:54:52 -0500

inline.

Thanks!

Fixed.

I clarified the wording.

Fixed.

Fixed.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.