Subject: [Simple] Question on draft-ietf-simple-presence-10 and Allow-Events

From: "Drage, Keith (Keith)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 00:05:26 -0000

RFC 3265 section 3.3.7 indicates:

   Any node implementing one or more event packages SHOULD include an
   appropriate "Allow-Events" header indicating all supported events in
   all methods which initiate dialogs and their responses (such as
   INVITE) and OPTIONS responses.

The SUBSCRIBE request to an event package surely falls into the category of a method initiating a dialog.

If I look at draft-ietf-simple-presence-10 then I find no mention of the Allow-Events header, even though examples are given for the contents of SUBSCRIBE and NOTIFY methods to subscribe to the presence event package (section 8).

So should these examples contain an Allow-Events header value of "presence" or is the acceptance of a subscription to a package meant to be one of the cases when the SHOULD in RFC 3265 does not apply. 

regards

Keith

Keith Drage
Lucent Technologies
[email-masked]
tel: +44 1793 776249

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 00:14:46 -0500

inline.

Drage, Keith (Keith) wrote:

> appropriate "Allow-Events" header indicating all supported events
> in all methods which initiate dialogs and their responses (such as 
> The SUBSCRIBE request to an event package surely falls into the
> category of a method initiating a dialog.
> 
> If I look at draft-ietf-simple-presence-10 then I find no mention
> of the Allow-Events header, even though examples are given for the
> contents of SUBSCRIBE and NOTIFY methods to subscribe to the
> presence event package (section 8).
> 
> So should these examples contain an Allow-Events header value of
> "presence" or is the acceptance of a subscription to a package
> meant to be one of the cases when the SHOULD in RFC 3265 does not
> apply.

Thats a good question. I don't think the omission of Allow-Events from 
simple-presence was a purposeful one. However, assuming a server only 
supports presence, placement of the Allow-Events header field in a 
NOTIFY or 200 OK to SUBSCRIBE with the value of "presence" seems to be 
redundant. I think the text in 3.3.7 is primarily considering INVITE 
initiated dialogs, whereby one can learn about the packages supported 
by the peer. Therefore, I would be inclined to say that their omission 
from the examples is appropriate, and a proper case where the SHOULD 
doesnt apply.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 00:14:46 -0500

inline.

-Jonathan R.