Subject: [Simple] xcap/geopriv alignment issue 7: actions and transformations

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 01:48:55 -0500

Folks,

In the current xcap-auth document, the spec describes two different 
types of permissions. These are "acceptance" permissions and "content" 
permissions. The former are permissions about who can or cannot 
subscribe in the first place. The latter are permissions about what 
they will see when they do subscribe.

In geopriv, they instead have "actions" and "transformations". The 
actions are things to do  - accept a subscription, confirm a 
subscription. Other possible actions in the future might be to log the 
event, send an IM, etc. Then "transformations" specify operations on 
the data that the watcher will receive. This is equivalent to what we 
call content permissions.

The geopriv document separates these types of elements within the 
document through an enclosing "actions" and "transformations" tag. In 
xcap-auth, its flat, and no syntactic distinction is made between the 
two types.

I would propose we adopt the geopriv terminology and xml syntax. Using 
the syntax has the benefit that, with the xcap protocol, you could 
change all of the actions or all of the transformations in one 
operation. The terminology is apparently more consistent with other 
policy languages that exist.

As an example of what this change would mean, here is a document in 
the current xcap-auth format:

<applies-to>
   <uri>sip:[email-masked]</uri>
</applies-to>

<accept/>
<show-namespace>rpid</show-namespace>

and with this change, would look like:

<applies-to>
   <uri>sip:[email-masked]</uri>
</applies-to>

<actions>
   <accept/>
</actions>

<transformations>
   <show-namespace>rpid</show-namespace>
</transformations>

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 14:39:24 -0600

Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:

> subscribe in the first place. The latter are permissions about what they 
> will see when they do subscribe.
> 
> event, send an IM, etc. Then "transformations" specify operations on the 
> data that the watcher will receive. This is equivalent to what we call 
> content permissions.
> 
> As an example of what this change would mean, here is a document in the 
> current xcap-auth format:
> 
> <applies-to>

This sounds reasonable to me. It seems to future-proof things a little 
better than the original xcap-auth syntax.

---

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 14:39:24 -0600