Subject: [Simple] xcap/geopriv alignment issue 3: spheres

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 01:09:28 -0500

Folks,

In the current geopriv policy document, there is a condition called 
"sphere". This allows a presentity to tell the server that this policy 
statement only applies if the current sphere of the presentity has 
some value. Sphere refers to an RPID element (which, afaik, is not in 
the current rpid document, and would need to be added for this to be 
useful) that describes my current situation - whether I am at work, at 
home, sleeping, etc. Its a dynamic context, for which my privacy rules 
vary as the context varies.

As an example, I could define a policy thusly:

<applies-to>
   <domain>example.com</domain>
   <sphere>work</sphere>
</applies-to>

<accept/>
<show-all/>

and:

<applies-to>
   <domain>example.com</domain>
   <sphere>home</sphere>
</applies-to>

<accept/>
<show-element>basic</show-element>

This would have the effect of showing my example.com colleauges my 
full presence when I'm at work, but only my basic status when I'm at home.

So, the question is, do we adopt this in xcap-auth?

I am inclined to NOT adopt it, and indeed, to encourage geopriv to 
remove it, in order to reduce scope.

Comments?

Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:06:02 -0600

Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:

> statement only applies if the current sphere of the presentity has some 
> value. Sphere refers to an RPID element (which, afaik, is not in the 
> current rpid document, and would need to be added for this to be useful) 
> that describes my current situation - whether I am at work, at home, 
> sleeping, etc. Its a dynamic context, for which my privacy rules vary as 
> the context varies.
> 
> This would have the effect of showing my example.com colleauges my full 
> presence when I'm at work, but only my basic status when I'm at home.
> 

I have mixed emotions on this one, as I have heard a lot of discussion 
of people wanting to do things that this would enable. At the same time, 
I am willing to defer it for the future. I can accomplish something 
similar by simply having a separate identity for home and work--although 
many existing clients make this inconventient.

---

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:06:02 -0600