Subject: [Simple] Managing XCAP Etags

From: Jari Urpalainen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 10:11:05 +0200

Hi all,

As entity tags should be updated according to current XCAP-draft by 
element/node/attribute basis, synchronization between the client and 
server is fairly complicated. While I understand that the aim is to 
allow fine-grained partial updates to the xml-documents, but after many 
partial updates one document may have a lot of "tree-like" ETag 
metadata.  The problem is how to get this metadata to the client ? If 
you havn't followed the history of the document, i.e you are fetching 
some new document with http get and you'll receive e.g. only the root 
Etag then. What about the other Etags within xml-tree ? Certainly, you 
could get them by XPATH-queries according to the document, but that is 
way too ugly. Instead, I'll propose that only document based Etag is 
used, as it allows a simple integrity test for partial updates and is 
also much simpler to implement.

BR,
Jari Urpalainen

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple