Subject: [Simple] comments on winfo-history

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 05:31:19 -0500

A comment on:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-niemi-simple-winfo-history-00.txt

My apologies for not reading this and commenting sooner.

The problem described in this draft is the exact reason why the
waiting state exists in the current winfo specifications. If a user is
pending, and then their susbcription expires, the information goes
into the waiting state, where it remains for a long time. The purpose
of that is for a user to find out who attempted to subscribe when they
were offline.

Quoting from the winfo package:

> The waiting state is similar to pending, in that no notifications are
>    generated. However, if the subscription is approved or denied, the
>    FSM is destroyed. The purpose of the waiting state is so that a user
>    can fetch watcherinfo state at any time, and learn of any
>    subscriptions that arrived previously (and which may arrive again)
>    which require an authorization decision. Consider an example. A
>    subscribes to B. B has not defined policy about this subscription, so
>    it moves into the pending state. B is not "online", so that B's
>    software agent cannot be contacted to approve the subscription. The
>    subscription expires. Let's say it were destroyed. B logs in, and
>    fetches its watcherinfo state. There is no record of the subscription
>    from A, so no policy decision is made about subscriptions from A. B
>    logs off. A refreshes its subscription. Once more, the subscription
>    is pending since no policy is defined for it. This process could
>    continue indefinitely. The waiting state ensures that B can find out
>    about this subscription attempt.

I believe this meets your needs as specified.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Aki Niemi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 19:36:26 +0200

Hi Jonathan,

That's actually a good point. The retroactive authorization (also 
mentioned in the draft) can clearly be solved by looking for the 
watchers whose state is "waiting".

However, the 3GPP requirement reads:

        It must be possible for the presentity to fetch the list
        of the watchers who have accessed (by subscription or
        fetch) his presence information during a well-defined time-
        period (e.g. last 7 days).

Event though there is no use case attached, I belive this is referring 
to something a bit different, like a "missed calls" type of log. And the 
draft also talks about winfo-history including events where a watcher 
entered the "terminated" state, with a timestamp of when it happened.

So ther is clearly overlap and I think we need to discuss this bit in 
the SIMPLE session.

Cheers,
Aki

---

From: Aki Niemi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 19:36:26 +0200

Hi Jonathan,

Cheers,
Aki