Subject: [Simple] xcap/geopriv alignment issue 2: validity

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 01:02:46 -0500

Folks,

The geopriv policy document has a validity condition. This validity 
conditions defines a start and stop time wherein the policy statement 
applies. There are no repeats; that is, you can't have a statement be 
valid from 9am to 5pm every day.

An example is:

<applies-to>
   <domain>example.com</domain>
   <valid-from>2003-08-15T10:20:00.000-05:00</valid-from>
   <valid-until>2003-09-15T10:20:00.000-05:00</valid-until>
</applies-to>

<accept/>

Of course, an alternative to having this validity condition is that 
the client simply remove the statement at the appointed time. This is 
more or less what we would have to do today in xcap to support any 
time limited policies.

However, there is a privacy advantage to the geopriv approach. If, for 
some reason, the client got disconnected, it would not be able to go 
an explicitly remove the document. Thus, information might get leaked 
because the user couldnt reconnect to stop it from being leaked. If a 
validity condition is included in the statement itself, the client can 
be sure their privacy is maintained.

Another benefit is, for cases where the client does want to set 
policies that apply from 9am-5pm each day, the client could reconnect 
each morning and simply change the valid-from and valid-until dates, 
instead of uploading a whole new document (which is what they would 
need to do now in xcap-auth). Also, to be clear, once the document is 
no longer valid, the server DOES NOT remove it. It stays, and is 
simply ignored.

As such, I would propose to adopt the validity condition element. I 
think its valuable, independent of any desire to align with geopriv.

Comments?

Thanks,
Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 17:16:42 +0200

<snip/>
 > I agree.

I also agree. Also, this would seem to fulfill one of the things discussed in the on-demand authorization draft in SIPPING.

Cheers,
Aki

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 17:16:42 +0200

<snip/>

Cheers,
Aki