Subject: [Simple] SERVICE method

From: "Patrick Park" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:08:51 -0800

N. Deason suggested the SERVICE method in his draft (draft-deason-sipping-soap-sessions-00.txt), but it seems to be rejected. 

Microsoft is still using this SERVICE method between Windows Messenger and SIP Communications Server that are supposed to follow industry standard SIP/SIMPLE.

Why was this SERVICE method rejected?

Patrick Park

---

From: "Neil Deason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 12:24:18 -0800

The main technical concerns raised about this draft were 
the same as those that lead to the notion that MESSAGE should 
only be for paging style messaging and not for IM chat sessions.
Namely that due to the fact that SIP can be run over UDP there 
is not the necessary support for the congestion control 
required to preserve the stability of the Internet if SIP 
were to be widely used as a transport protocol for messaging. 
There are also issues due to UDP with the potential fragmentation 
of large messages. 

The design goal behind this work was to be able to leverage 
the combined benefits of SOAP and SIP. The later draft:

http://users.rcn.com/neildeason/docs/draft-deason-mmusic-sdp-soap-00.htm
l

defines a more 'proper', although more complex, way of achieving 
this.

- Neil.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Patrick Park
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 11:09 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Simple] SERVICE method

N. Deason suggested the SERVICE method in his draft
(draft-deason-sipping-soap-sessions-00.txt), but it seems to be
rejected. 
Microsoft is still using this SERVICE method between Windows Messenger
and SIP Communications Server that are supposed to follow industry
standard SIP/SIMPLE.
Why was this SERVICE method rejected?

Patrick Park

This message has been scanned for viruses by MailControl - www.mailcontrol.com

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: "Neil Deason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 12:24:18 -0800

- Neil.

-----Original Message-----

Patrick Park