Subject: [Simple] The "both" timer

From: "David Partain (LI/EAB)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 17:49:42 +0100

Greetings,

I don't understand the timer associated with the both direction
attribute (page 11 in the -02 version).  I'd be really grateful
if someone could explain to me how it works.

The text says that this timer specifies how long the "answerer"
should wait before giving up on the connection and trying to
take over has host for the session.

If I send an INVITE with "both" and set the timer to 45 seconds,
I've also supplied an MSRP URL that the answerer can use to
VISIT me.  Does the timer start when the answerer sends the
VISIT to the offerer at the MSRP URL?  It doesn't make much
sense to me that the offerer should tell the answerer to wait
after sending the VISIT, but I'm probably missing something.

And if the answerer doesn't get an OK for the VISIT within
the alloted 45 seconds, what then?  How is it expected to take
over as host?

Is "answerer" above really supposed to be "offerer"?  I don't
see how that works either, though, since the offerer has no
URL to VISIT.

I'm just generally confused and don't understand the timer.
Would some kind soul please enlighten me?

Thanks much.

David

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple