Subject: Re: [Simple] xcap/geopriv alignment issue 8: exceptions

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 15:57:56 -0500

I wanted to float a proposal that Ben made to me privately. Not sure 
if it will help here.

The suggestion is to move the domain and on-list elements into this 
separate specification as well. The logic here is that, if you do 
support policies based on domains or lists, you need exception 
processing for them to work. Since the two go hand in hand, but them 
in a separate spec. Thus, the main spec would just deal with 
permissions granted to specific users, and the extension spec deals 
with group and domain permissions.

Would people be comfortable with that?

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

Robert Sparks wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-11-26 at 08:41, [email-masked] wrote:
> 
>>>-----Original Message-----
>>>From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
>>>ext Robert Sparks
>>>Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2003 1:36 AM
>>>To: Ben Campbell
>>>Cc: Khartabil Hisham (NMP-MSW/Helsinki); [email-masked];
>>>[email-masked]
>>>Subject: Re: [Simple] xcap/geopriv alignment issue 8: exceptions
>>>
>>>
>>>(speaking from the floor)
>>>
>>>In the presence/IM systems I've been using on a daily basis for
>>>some time now, I do not have a way to say "Allow everybody in
>>>foo.com except bar" and I still find these systems useful.
>>>
>>
>>Shall we conclude from this that current restrictions of systems is a useful measure to build future systems?
> 
> 
> You should conclude from this that there are environments in which
> being able to state exceptions is not a requirement. 
> 
> 
>>I do believe that exceptions would be useful, in particular in inter-domain and interoperable systems. Since I believe that's what is tried to be built, exceptions should be considered. 
> 
> 
> I also believe exceptions would be useful. Very useful. I'm not arguing
> against supporting them. I am suggesting that it would be acceptable to
> have a base system that _didn't_ have them and an extension that does.
> 
> 
> 
>>Dirk
> 
> 

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 15:57:56 -0500

Thanks,
Jonathan R.