Subject: [Simple] Update to xcap package

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 17:32:04 -0500

Folks,

I've submitted a revision to the xcap event package. Until it appears in 
the archives, you can pick it up at:

http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/draft-ietf-simple-xcap-package-01.txt

The changes from the last version:

1. Notifications contain the before and after etags

2. Inclusion of the schema

3. defined a mechanism for subscribing to documents in the global tree
- define a well known user name to subscribe to.

4. changed MIME type of change documents to use +xml convention in rfc 3023.

There are really two major open issues.

The first is alignment with the config framework. Indeed, there has been 
some attempt at some alignment, and this will be reflected in the config 
framework revision that is pending. With documents in place, we will be 
able to have a look at how it might look so a decision can be made 
shortly. I am personally on the fence on this topic.

The second open issue is, what is the scope of this event package. That 
is, what is it that you are subscribing to? There are three possible things:

The first is that subscription is to the document itself, in which case 
a full state update in a NOTIFY contains the current document. The 
second is a subscription to the revision history, which gives you 
changes, but not the full state of the document. The third option is to 
just subscribe to the etag, so that you know that something changed, but 
the notifications don't tell you anything about what changed. Which do 
we need? The latter is the simplest, good for the case where third
party modification of documents is rare. If xcap is utilized in the 
scope for which it was proposed - management of a user's provisioned 
data, I do believe these events would be rare, and that this would be 
the ideal design choice. As such, my own preference would be to do that.

Thoughts?

-Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple