Subject: [Simple] Advanced IM Reqs: Invitations to non real-time sessions

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 14:27:52 -0600

Jonathan:

Re: requirements for invitations to non real-time sessions
     in <draft-rosenberg-simple-messaging-requirements-01>

A question that struck me while reading REQ-NRT-2 to
REQ-NRT-5 is how extensive can this list be?  If we allow
sending an IM to have the recipient to add another user
to their buddy list, should we also allow sending of an IM
to let the recipient >remove< an existing user from their
buddy list?

If we go this route, does the use of IMs to accomplish
adding/deleting users to/from buddy lists intersect with
XCAP?  Is it the case that the IM way is geared more towards
end users while XCAP allows automata to update state (at
least that's what I think -- I have not been keeping
up in depth with XCAP, so apologies if this is not
the correct model).

We obviously cannot create a universal set of all things
one user can ask another one to do.  But what is the
genesis of attempting to codify a few capabilities (REQ-NRT-2
to REQ-NRT-5)?  Just trying to understand the requirements,
that's all.

Also, one last thought on the following:

> The last of these is particularly interesting. One use case 
> is "call alerts" in PTT. There, I send you a request to 
> have a PTT chat. The request is not answered in real time. 
> Rather, its stored by the recipient as if it were an IM, 
> and can be answered at any time later. "Answering it" 
> merely involves setting up a PTT call back to the caller. Its 
> also possible to cancel the call alert at any time. 

This struck me with one of the services enabled by SPIRITS -
receiving an alert (through an IM, say) of calls coming in
to your phone (cell phone or desk phone) when you are
physically not near your phone.  Of course, unlike the
PTT case, you can't cancel the alert, but you do have instant
information on who tried to talk to you.

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani  vkg@{lucent.com,research.bell-labs.com,acm.org}
Wireless Networks Group/Internet Software and Services
Lucent Technologies/Bell Labs Innovations, 2000 Lucent Lane, Rm 6G-440
Naperville, Illinois 60566     Voice: +1 630 224 0216

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple