Subject: [Simple] New xcap authorization documents

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 14:45:45 -0500

Folks,

We've completed the major first step of integrating the geopriv and 
simple authorization specifications. -00 drafts have been submitted to 
both geopriv and simple supporting this unification.

In geopriv, the main draft to look at is this one (available in the 
archives shortly:)
http://ecotroph.net/~anewton/resources/geopriv/draft-ietf-geopriv-common-policy-00.txt

This is the common policy specification. It outlines the framework for 
representing policies, and defines some basic elements, such as 
confirming subscriptions and identifying watchers. At this time, it 
includes support for the "exception" clause against domains.

This specification is extended (and in particular, the abstract 
condition, action, and transformation elements are made concrete) with 
presence specific data in:

http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/draft-rosenberg-simple-rules-00.txt

which should also appear in the archives shortly. This draft will 
replace draft-ietf-simple-xcap-auth-usage-01.txt once the group is happy 
with the approach.

Another change is the removal of "supported permissions" from 
xcap-auth-usage. That, like authorization rules, is now broken into a 
common core document and a presence specific one.

http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/draft-rosenberg-simple-common-policy-caps-00.txt

specifies the common document, and:

http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/draft-rosenberg-simple-pres-policy-caps-00.txt

contains the capabilities specific to presence.

These are both very simple specifications.

I think the resulting document set is much cleaner and easier to 
understand than before. Put together, beyond a split, here are the major 
changes:

* all conditions are part of a rule-wide selector (the conditions 
element) rather than specific to permissions. As such, the accept-if 
condition is gone.

* only domain's have except clauses. There is no longer an "any" 
condition or the ability to reference a list.

* The "sphere" element is now present as a condition

* There is a "validity" condition which allows you to temproally scope 
the validity of a document

* Removed "can-encrypt" condition - trying to keep things minimal.

* You can now explicitly ask for subscription confirmation using the 
confirmation action from the common document

* You can explicitly accept or reject subscriptions with the 
accept-subscription action in the presence specific document.

* You can now explicitly polite block. The behavior of the server when 
the user requests polite blocking is not defined - its implementation 
specific.

* There is no longer an "encrypt" action for requesting the server to 
send encrypted notifications.

* There is now an "anonymous" condition which allows you to specify 
policies based on whether the subscription was anonymous

* Specific treatment for identity matching is defined for SIP digest 
authentication, P-asserted-ID and sip-identity

* There are three content transformations defined - show-tuple, 
show-namespace and show-element. Each of these is applied INDEPENDENTLY, 
so if an item is filtered by any one of these, its filtered out of the 
document.

* show-note and show-contact have been removed to simplify

* defaults were established for the above three transformations

* The documents are much less xcap-centric. They talk about document 
formats, and have a small section at the end which defines the usage for 
xcap. The title and filenames have also changed to reflect this. This 
clarifies that these documents can be used outside of xcap.

Please take a look and send comments.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple