Subject: [Simple] MSRP: Wrapped types

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 14:52:53 -0600

Another issue came up during the discussions several of us had a SIPIT. 
I am separating this out from the MSRP/SIMS harmonization email, as it 
is orthagonal to that.

Several people commented that the existing "accept-types" and 
"accept-wrapped-types" were overly confusing and error prone. To recap, 
the point of this mechanism is to allow an MSRP device to accept a 
number of formats, but require them to be wrapped in an envelope of some 
sort. The motivation behind this is that a CPIM gateway may allow any 
number of content-types, but insist that everything be wrapped in a 
message/cpim envelope.

The existing mechanism says that any format listed in "accept-types" can 
occur anywhere in a body, including at the root. Formats listed in 
"accept-wrapped-types" cannot occur at the root; that is, they must be 
wrapped inside of some format listed in "accept-types". This solves the 
problem, but it is pretty complicated and difficult to understand.

Two possible alternatives were offered:

1) Get rid of the "accept-wrapped-types" attribute, and instead add an 
attribute that means "I require CPIM". This would mean that all content 
must be wrapped in message/cpim envelopes.

2) Generalize option 1 a little bit by adding an "envelope" attribute. 
This attribute would contain a single format entry. All content must be 
wrapped in that format.

And of course, there is an implied item 3: Leave it as is.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Ben.

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 03:54:56 +0200

My vote is to leave it as is. This is a solution that we were comfortable with after a long debate. The new proposals add no benefit.

/Hisham

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
> ext Ben Campbell
> Sent: 27.February.2004 22:53
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Simple] MSRP: Wrapped types
> 
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 03:54:56 +0200

/Hisham