Subject: [Simple] Advanced IM requirements

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 01:16:45 -0500

Folks,

As I noted earlier, I resubmitted the advanced IM requirements draft. It 
specifies a bunch of advanced IM functions we havent yet tackled here. 
They are:

* delivery reports for IM
* is-typing indicator (Henning had an I-D on this that has expired)
* capabilities indications of maximum desired message sizes for IM
* page mode groups (under discussion in the context of exploders in sipping)
* invitations to non-real time sessions

The last of these is particularly interesting. One use case is "call 
alerts" in PTT. There, I send you a request to have a PTT chat. The 
request is not answered in real time. Rather, its stored by the 
recipient as if it were an IM, and can be answered at any time later. 
"Answering it" merely involves setting up a PTT call back to the caller. 
Its also possible to cancel the call alert at any time.

There are some interesting ways to accomplish this function. The one 
I've been thinking about is taking a SIP INVITE message, and sending it 
in the body of a MESSAGE request as a message/sip content. I'm sure 
there are other ways.

Are these topics for which there is still group interest in working on? 
I think all of them remain quite important.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 09:39:23 -0500

> * is-typing indicator (Henning had an I-D on this that has expired)

After discussion with the SIMPLE chairs, this draft will be resubmitted 
after the IETF blackout (i.e., work prevention) period. I've already 
updated references and such, so I just need to mail it in.

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 09:39:23 -0500

---

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 14:23:55 -0600

Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:

> Folks,
> 
> As I noted earlier, I resubmitted the advanced IM requirements 
> draft. It specifies a bunch of advanced IM functions we havent yet 
> tackled here. They are:
> 
[...]
> Are these topics for which there is still group interest in 

Yes.

I have some additional feedback on a couple of the above items.
I will send the feedback in separate threads with a new
subjects for easier tracking.

Thanks,

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani  vkg@{lucent.com,research.bell-labs.com,acm.org}
Wireless Networks Group/Internet Software and Services
Lucent Technologies/Bell Labs Innovations, 2000 Lucent Lane, Rm 6G-440
Naperville, Illinois 60566     Voice: +1 630 224 0216

---

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 14:23:55 -0600

[...]

Yes.

Thanks,

- vijay