Subject: [Simple] DSN/MDN and MSRP

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 14:10:09 -0600

We've had a pretty long thread on DSN and MDN for instant messages. this 
brings me to an MSRP requirements question. How much specification of 
either of these belongs in the MSRP base spec? A while back, we were 
leaning towards leaving them as an extension.

Adding SIMS style relays changes my opinion on this somewhat. MSRP 
transactions would be hop-by-hop. A transaction response merely tells 
you the message was successfully submitted to the next hop. If that hop 
is a relay, then we have a failure mode similar to that of email. That 
is, the relay may discover that it cannot forward the request for some 
reason _after_ it sent an OK response to the previous hop. This tells me 
that DSN, at least, is very important for MSRP relays to work.

We could defer that work to the relay specification. However, we are 
trying to make it so that an MSRP endpoint that does not implement the 
relay specification can still interoperate with another that wishes to 
use relays. So it seems to me that the base MSRP spec should at least 
include the ability to _receive_ failure DSN reports, if not generate them.

I am less sure about MDN. I see the value in allowing them, but I am not 
sure they need to be discussed in the base specification.

Thoughts?

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple