Subject: [Simple] Presence Rules Issue 1: Provide Contact URI defaults

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 15:30:19 -0400

There is currently a permission called provide-contact-uri that 
specifies which tuples the contact-uri should be provided in. Like many 
of the other permissions, you can specify which tuples to include it in 
  based on the values of a few other rpid parameters.

The problem is that, for privacy safety, the default of all of these 
sets needs to be the empty set. As a result, the default will be that 
you never include a contact URI. If you want one in every tuple, you'd 
have to add this:

<provide-contact-uri>
   <all-tuples/>
</provide-contact-uri>

in every permission statement. Or, you could turn it on "globally" by 
specifying a rule that applied to everyone (i.e., all domains you 
communicate with), which granted just this specific permission.

There is also no way to say that the contact URI is to be provided in 
"barebones" tuples that have no other RPID information in them.

My concern is that I think that, in practice, it will be expected that 
contact is nearly always provided, and so you'll have to have this 
permission pretty much all the time. The "real" default - in terms of 
what a user might expect - is not the same as the default of the 
permission itself.

Our options are:

1. who cares, its fine, just add the permission
2. remove the provide-contact-uri permission, and always include a 
contact uri

My proposal is (1). Thoughts?

-Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple