Subject: [Simple] Open issues and changes to prescaps

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 12:52:34 +0300

Hi,

Here is a list of open issues and changes that were agreed in Seoul. If
I have missed something please let me know. We should get consensus on
open issue(s) quite soon (hopefully within a week or so). 

Open issues:
- Extension mechanism. Currently draft contains two extension
mechanisms. One is XML extension mechanism (mechanism 1) and the other
one is based on XML elements token, string, boolean, and numeric which
allow usage of other tags that are not specified in callee caps
(mechanism 2). We have had some list discussion about this topic and
below I try summarize discussion so far:
Arguments for having mechanism 2 have been that for some applications it
might be easier to use. Using this mechanism applications would not need
to define new XML namespaces for every new attribute. For applications
which can 'dynamically' use or come up with new attributes this
mechanism would be good.
Argument for having only XML extension mechanism have been that for
having two extension mechanisms may lead to some inconsistencies like
same extension attribute could be applied using both mechanisms
simultaneously. It has also being argued that applications cannot or
should not use new attributes unless their semantics has been clearly
defined. Also mechanism 1 may have some problems with presence
authorization and filtering. 

Personally I think we can live with only XML extension mechanism
(mechanism 1). For applications that would like to use extension tag
this means defining a new XML schema. However, this may be a good thing
because applications must in any case define some kind of semantics for
new attributes and as far as I know this doesn't need to involve any
standardization.

Changes:
- remove <type> elements from all media type tags (voice, video,
application, data, control, text) and change these to be of boolean type

- Add separate <type> element into XML schema

- Remove text from section 5 which talks about adding Accept-Contact
header based on prescaps into SIP requests.

- Mikko

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple