Subject: AW: [Simple] RPID - moods

From: Schmidt Christian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 08:43:11 +0200

Hi Henning, Peter

yes, self-assessment is needed in this case. But this is also valid for sphere. If
you are for example working at home, you have to become active as well.

On the other hand, this feature would be helpful for both sides:
- The presentity can signal, that he want to be contacted only in certain 
cases (I am angry - contact me only for good news, I am sleepy - contact me
only for important things, which can not wait).
- The watcher can check the mood of the presentity, before contacting him.
Perhaps it is more efficient, to wait a few hours with a call.

The JEP paper show a big number of mood values (about 60). We do not 
need this big number of different moods. The Wireless Village approach,
with 11 moods (happy, sad, angry, jealous, ashamed, invincible, in love,
sleepy, bored, excited, anxious) seems to be sufficient for the purpose.

Mood is an important aspect for the ability and willingness to accept an
incoming call (presence service). Therefor it would be good, to have
this in the RPID draft.

Regards,
Christian

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] Im Auftrag von Peter Saint-Andre
Gesendet: Montag, 17. Mai 2004 18:14
An: Henning Schulzrinne
Cc: [email-masked]
Betreff: Re: [Simple] RPID - moods

On Sun, May 16, 2004 at 07:52:29PM -0400, Henning Schulzrinne wrote:

> This is something I've always talked about in jest...  The problem I 
> have is that I can't see a good automated way of determining moods, so 
> we'd have to exclusively rely on people's self-assessment.

Unfortunately, self-assessment seems necessary here, unless someone has
invented an introspection machine.

> I did find
> 
> http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0107.html
> 
> which proposes something like that for Jabber and references a listing 
> of mood values in Wireless Village.
> 
> I'm happy to include it, but I'm worried and anxious that this will lead 
> to extended discussions whether the list is sufficiently complete.

That protocol attempted to be complete but, naturally, someone will
always claim that some important and essential mood was excluded. I'm
of the opinion that getting 80% or 90% coverage is sufficient in this
context.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
Jabber Software Foundation
http://www.jabber.org/people/stpeter.php

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 10:04:15 +0300

I agree.

/Hisham

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
> ext Henning Schulzrinne
> Sent: 18.May.2004 17:44
> To: Schmidt Christian
> Cc: 'Peter Saint-Andre'; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: AW: [Simple] RPID - moods
> 
> 
> I agree that mood can be useful. Given the need to interoperate with 
> other systems, it seems easiest to just have the superset of 
> values in 
> the Jabber paper. That way, translation from Jabber to SIMPLE is easy 
> and does not require many-to-one mappings. Whether user 
> interfaces will 
> actually allow users to generate the 60 moods is a different issue.
> 
> Schmidt Christian wrote:
> 
> > Hi Henning, Peter
> >

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 10:04:15 +0300

I agree.

/Hisham

---

From: Schmidt Christian <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 14:43:46 +0200

Hi Henning,

I agreee, let´s do it this way. Could you please include "moods" in the
next version of your RPIDs Draft? Should I provide some text?

Regards,
Christian

P.S. Perhaps "invincible" in this context mean, I am in the mood
to hide me somehow.

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Henning Schulzrinne [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Gesendet: Dienstag, 18. Mai 2004 16:44
An: Schmidt Christian
Cc: 'Peter Saint-Andre'; [email-masked]
Betreff: Re: AW: [Simple] RPID - moods

I agree that mood can be useful. Given the need to interoperate with 
other systems, it seems easiest to just have the superset of values in 
the Jabber paper. That way, translation from Jabber to SIMPLE is easy 
and does not require many-to-one mappings. Whether user interfaces will 
actually allow users to generate the 60 moods is a different issue.

---

From: "Sharon Fridman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 16:48:29 +0300

> (1) Addition of a very helpful new RPID Element:
> 
> MOOD Element
> 
> The <mood> element describes the current mood of the presentity, for
> example angry, tired, happy and aggressive. This information could be
> very helpful to a watcher, especially if he want to achieve something
> from the presentity.
> 
> The <mood> element could be handled according to the <sphere>
> element. There are allready good experiences with mood in the IM
> area.

As both XMPP and OMA-IMPS provide some existing usage patterns for mood,
if only for interoperability, it is advisable to allow <mood> as
presence information, such as suggested for extending RPID. RPID also
looks like the proper relevant I/D for this.

The exact values to consider, can perhaps be evaluated:
1) What are the expected user patterns? User to buddies, presence aware
services leveraging this presence information?
2) Granularity - being very descriptive traded for capturing those moods
that has a real offering or value for the watchers to act upon.
3) Need for extensibility.
4) Possibility to be mapped to icons.

As probably both (and more) usage patterns may be considered, being
descriptive rather then categorized moods, allows best user-2-user
description, and allows iconic representation (albeit requiring too many
icons - mapping can be used for reduction).
These can be mapped through interoperability GW to perhaps small number
of moods (categorization in a sense). 
In addition, services can "switch" among similar moods (from their
perspective) and handle them with the same behavior, and still be able
to exploit fine mood definitions (such as playful for gaming services,
or flirtatious for dating services).

Overall, the fine-grained approach for mood, seems suitable to answer
the concerns above, 

--Fridy / Followap

---

From: "Sharon Fridman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 16:48:29 +0300

--Fridy / Followap