Subject: AW: [Simple] RPID - moods

From: Schmidt Christian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 08:43:11 +0200

Hi Henning, Peter

yes, self-assessment is needed in this case. But this is also valid for sphere. If
you are for example working at home, you have to become active as well.

On the other hand, this feature would be helpful for both sides:
- The presentity can signal, that he want to be contacted only in certain 
cases (I am angry - contact me only for good news, I am sleepy - contact me
only for important things, which can not wait).
- The watcher can check the mood of the presentity, before contacting him.
Perhaps it is more efficient, to wait a few hours with a call.

The JEP paper show a big number of mood values (about 60). We do not 
need this big number of different moods. The Wireless Village approach,
with 11 moods (happy, sad, angry, jealous, ashamed, invincible, in love,
sleepy, bored, excited, anxious) seems to be sufficient for the purpose.

Mood is an important aspect for the ability and willingness to accept an
incoming call (presence service). Therefor it would be good, to have
this in the RPID draft.

Regards,
Christian

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] Im Auftrag von Peter Saint-Andre
Gesendet: Montag, 17. Mai 2004 18:14
An: Henning Schulzrinne
Cc: [email-masked]
Betreff: Re: [Simple] RPID - moods

On Sun, May 16, 2004 at 07:52:29PM -0400, Henning Schulzrinne wrote:

> This is something I've always talked about in jest...  The problem I 
> have is that I can't see a good automated way of determining moods, so 
> we'd have to exclusively rely on people's self-assessment.

Unfortunately, self-assessment seems necessary here, unless someone has
invented an introspection machine.

> I did find
> 
> http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0107.html
> 
> which proposes something like that for Jabber and references a listing 
> of mood values in Wireless Village.
> 
> I'm happy to include it, but I'm worried and anxious that this will lead 
> to extended discussions whether the list is sufficiently complete.

That protocol attempted to be complete but, naturally, someone will
always claim that some important and essential mood was excluded. I'm
of the opinion that getting 80% or 90% coverage is sufficient in this
context.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
Jabber Software Foundation
http://www.jabber.org/people/stpeter.php

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 10:44:12 -0400

I agree that mood can be useful. Given the need to interoperate with 
other systems, it seems easiest to just have the superset of values in 
the Jabber paper. That way, translation from Jabber to SIMPLE is easy 
and does not require many-to-one mappings. Whether user interfaces will 
actually allow users to generate the 60 moods is a different issue.

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 10:44:12 -0400

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 10:21:34 -0500

> sleepy, bored, excited, anxious) seems to be sufficient for the purpose.

I'm amazed, annoyed, confused, cranky, curious, depressed, disappointed,
disgusted, frustrated, grumpy, humiliated, hurt, lonely, moody, nervous,
offended, restless, shocked, sick, stressed, surprised, and worried that 
you would say such a thing. ;-)

But I shall try to stay calm. So I ask seriously: do you think that the
range of human moods can be limited the 11 moods listed in the Wireless
Village protocol? "No one should ever feel more than 11 moods"? It seems
to me that many of the moods we included in that XMPP extension do have
a bearing on one's ability and willingness to communicate. Furthermore,
people who use these protocols (many of whom are much more beholden to
their teenage hormones that us protocol designers) might want to let
others know about their moods in ways that we have not imagined. So
limiting the mood set to a mere 11 moods seems short-sighted, as well as
contrary to psychological research on human emotion, mood, and affect.

Peter

P.S. Since when is "invincible" (included in the WV 11) a core human
emotion?

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 10:21:34 -0500

Peter