Subject: [Simple] draft-ietf-simple-presence-10.txt

From: Surya Gogineni <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 10:07:45 -0400

Is draft-ietf-simple-presence-10.txt still valid? The doc indicates it 
expires in July 2003. Is there any follow up doc for this?

-- 
Thanks & Regards,
Surya Gogineni

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 12:36:28 -0400

Yes, it is still valid. This is a source of confusion for many people, 
as its an oddity in the IETF process (IMHO).

Once an Internet Draft is submitted to the IESG for consideration for 
publication as an RFC, the document will remain in the IETF archives 
until it is published as an RFC, even if the expiration date passes. In 
the case of draft-ietf-simple-presence, the document was approved for 
publication as RFC quite a long time ago (over a year!!). However, it is 
stuck in the RFC editor's queue due to document dependencies. In 
particular, IETF has a rule that says that document X cannot be 
published if it normatively references document Y and document Y hasn't 
been published yet. SIMPLE is dependent on PIDF, which is in turn 
dependent on draft-ietf-smime-rfc2633bis, which should be done shortly. 
Once the smime draft is done, the whole dependency chain is resolved, 
and the core simple specs (draft-ietf-simple-presence, the watcherinfo 
drafts) along with PIDF and the IMPP documents, can all get published.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 12:36:28 -0400

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

---

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 14:32:11 -0700

At 12:36 PM -0400 05/17/2004, Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:
>  Once the smime draft is done, the whole dependency chain is 
>resolved, and the core simple specs (draft-ietf-simple-presence, the 
>watcherinfo drafts) along with PIDF and the IMPP documents, can all 
>get published.

The S/MIME draft was approved on the last telechat, and the IESG
has asked the RFC Editor to expedite processing, given the logs
behind this jam.
			regards,
				Ted Hardie

---

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 14:32:11 -0700