Subject: [Simple] XML schema validation

From: Miguel Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 12:50:20 +0300

Hi:

As you know the SIMPLE WG is specifying a bunch of documents that define 
some kind of XML schema. We have seen in the last days that documents 
which almost concluded WGLC include schemas that do not validate with 
common validation tools.

I have the feeling that there might be a few of these WG documents where 
the XML schema contain some errors. I am really worried with the 
potential publication of an RFC where the schema is not valid.

I would like to propose some procedure to guarantee that the documents 
that we send to the IESG for review contain a well-formed and valid 
schema definition. As a minimum I propose that the authors of the draft 
are responsible for validating the schema before the document is 
published as an I-D.

I also proposed that the chairs get confirmation from the authors about 
the validity of the schema prior to submitting the document to the IESG.

I also encourage folks with validating tools to provide feedback to the 
mailing list and authors about XML schemas defined in WG documents. I 
think this feedback should be both positive (yeah, Tool Foo says is a 
valid schema) and negative.

How about it?

Regards,

         Miguel

-- 
Miguel A. Garcia           tel:+358-50-4804586
Nokia Research Center      Helsinki, Finland

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 09:06:07 -0700

Completely agree - we should catch this in NITs review if not sooner. I
think there is some work going on of a NITS review style document for XML
stuff similar to checking ABNFs and MIBs - not sure where. Does someone have
a pointer to the XML nits stuff?

---

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 09:06:07 -0700

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 09:55:47 -0400

There is an update coming to I-D nits which includes a bunch of XML 
related things, including the ones suggested below. Should be available RSN.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 09:55:47 -0400

-Jonathan R.

---

From: Miguel Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 21:27:15 +0300

It is already available now. See the e-mail from the IESG:

     As you probably all know, we have used the ID-nits for a few
     years to help you all to prepare your Internet-Drafts such that
     they will process faster through the AD-review, IETF Last Call
     and IESG approval process.

     The name was somewhat wrong in that it is more a serious checklist
     than merely "nits" (however, there are some nits too).
     The IESG, RFC-Editor and IANA have evaluated the checklist, and
     a new (improved) ID-Checklist is now available at

             http://www.ietf.org/ID-Checklist.html

     Please help us all by actually CHECKING your Internet-Draft BEFORE
     you pass it on to your AD and the IESG via a "request to publish".
     It will help to make the process go faster and reduce the workload
     on all of us if your document has been checked and complies with
     the guidance/rules in the ID-Checklist.

     Thanks, the IESG

---

From: Miguel Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 21:27:15 +0300

Thanks, the IESG