Subject: [Simple] MSRP DSN Status codes

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 02:33:08 -0400

I still don't get it.  The purpose of a DSN status code is to let you know
that the delivery failed and why in an environment where you don't have a
*direct* connection to the recipient.

Clearly, DSN is a relay ONLY thing.  Why?  Because section 6.6.5.7 goes to
great lengths to say that a 200 OK response becomes a 2.0.0.

This is insane.  You would get the 200 OK response, and know the message was
delivered.  End of story.

In a failure mode, you would get the 500 response, or just not get one.

If we're talking relays here, then why are relays not proxies, issuing
100-class responses to message accepted for relay and 200-, 500-, timeout,
or whatever they get from upstream upon failure?  That would make the whole
REPORT thing obsolete and keep everything within MSRP.

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 10:20:07 -0500

> REPORT thing obsolete and keep everything within MSRP.

Failure reports are primarily a relay thing, but all endpoints have to 
know to expect them.

Relays do not wait for downstream transactions because we wanted to 
avoid the timing issues that crop up in SIP for long relay chains. MSRP 
relays work more like SMTP relays than they do SIP proxies.