Subject: RE: Tiny ant vs big Mammoths, was RE: [Simple] Using MSRP for real time text conversation

From: "Guido Gybels" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 08:25:57 +0100

Arnoud,

<<But their bosses..higher up pointed haired bosses are just dumb and
only see what they know.>>

There is hope! I'm a pointy haired boss but I sure can see ahead! ;o)

<<All mobile phones offer SMS (Europe, Asia). But most do not use it.>>

I don't know what audience you refer to, but ISTM that at least here in Europe *most* mobile phone users use SMS. And use it a lot.

As far as RTT is concerned: every single time we at RNID demonstrate the mobile textphone to the general public, people are thrilled by it. They want one. And I'm talking about mainstream public here.

So, yes, you are right when you say:

"My message to the vendors is simple: implement interactive text. Text/t140."

And it's up to us as a technical community to make sure that when the technology is build, it is build in a sound way, i.e. not a bunch of incompatible solutions, but something that is technically and economically viable AND that meets the needs of deaf and hard of hearing people while at the same time being able to offer something to the mainstream public. In that situation, everyone is a winner. You and I obviously understand that concept already, so let's make sure everyone else does too ;o)

Keep up the good work, Arnoud, you are making a *real* difference to people's lives!

As ever,

Guido

Guido Gybels
Director of New Technologies

RNID, 19-23 Featherstone Street
London EC1Y 8SL, UK
Tel +44(0)207 294 3713
Fax +44(0)207 296 8069

************************************************************************
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential
and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to
whom they are addressed. Any views or opinions expressed
are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent
RNID policy.

If you are not the intended recipient you are advised that any
use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this
email is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this email in error please notify the RNID
Helpdesk by telephone on: +44 (0) 207 296 8282.

The Royal National Institute for Deaf People  
Registered Office 19-23 Featherstone Street 
London EC1Y 8SL No. 454169 (England)
Registered Charity No. 207720
************************************************************************

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: "Arnoud van Wijk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 11:54:39 +0200

Guido,
Thanks for your comments.
When I said most do not use it..I meant
Most do not use it on a day to day basis. Thus sometimes they sent an SMS
message..or just receive an SMS message.

But the strong pojnt is that SMS is available in every GSM phone!
And many do not care if it is present..and then some day, they start using
it..since it is available and easy to use (depending on the user ofcourse). 
My boss never uses SMS, but I can tell him per SMS when I am late for a
meeting. He never replies. But mostly it works. He gets the message.

So.. Interactive text is just as useless as SMS. That is what people tell me
in those mails.
:-)

Greetz

Arnoud

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Guido Gybels
Sent: vrijdag 2 juli 2004 9:26
To: RNIDMAIL.GWIA."[email-masked]"; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Subject: RE: Tiny ant vs big Mammoths,was RE: [Simple] Using MSRP for real
time text conversation

Arnoud,

I don't know what audience you refer to, but ISTM that at least here in
Europe *most* mobile phone users use SMS. And use it a lot.

As far as RTT is concerned: every single time we at RNID demonstrate the
mobile textphone to the general public, people are thrilled by it. They want
one. And I'm talking about mainstream public here.

"My message to the vendors is simple: implement interactive text.
Text/t140."

And it's up to us as a technical community to make sure that when the
technology is build, it is build in a sound way, i.e. not a bunch of
incompatible solutions, but something that is technically and economically
viable AND that meets the needs of deaf and hard of hearing people while at
the same time being able to offer something to the mainstream public. In
that situation, everyone is a winner. You and I obviously understand that
concept already, so let's make sure everyone else does too ;o)

Keep up the good work, Arnoud, you are making a *real* difference to
people's lives!

As ever,

Guido

Guido Gybels