Subject: RE: Tiny ant vs big Mammoths, was RE: [Simple] Using MSRP for realtimetext conversation

From: "Arnoud van Wijk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 17:30:46 +0200

Hello Paul,

Quite interesting and a very good point.
Perhaps we can ask the SIMPLE WG to make this a WG charter.

<<Having said all that, I think that every SIMPLE IM client that supports 
MSRP probably SHOULD also support text/t140 over RTP. That won't solve 
the interop problem, but it is a low hurdle, and it will probably make 
the problem easier to solve.>>

Yes, that is the first goal. IM clients SHOULD support text/t140 over RTP.

<<The next step is to figure out how to negotiate a suitable session 
between a pair of SIMPLE clients. As I have said, this is already an 
open problem because of MESSAGE vs MSRP. It may make sense to add in 
text/t140 right from the start of that process.>>

I completely agree here! So, we talk about support for text/t140 on 2
levels.
1. interface, thus you can use the same client somehow to type a text/t140
conversation.
2. More importantly, at the negotiation phase, the IM client should be ready
to accept text/t140. When choosing between MESSAGE or MSRP..it can choose
text/t140. 

<<Dealing with the best general multimedia session is a generalization of 
that problem. In that case we assume we have a pair of endpoints that 
support some combination of voice, video, IM, RTT, and maybe other 
media. We would like to arrive at the most mutually satisfactory 
combination of media in use. I think the general position on this is 
that you simply offer everything you can and negotiate down the the set 
both ends are able to support. But as we can see, the reality is more 
complex. Transcoders may be required even for a single medium. In some 
cases converters between media may be needed, and at least in the case 
of IM, different media types or protocol elements may be chosen for the 
same element (text) in the UI. Ultimately, I think it is here where the 
most complete integration of RTT will be found.>>

This is what we need to describe in the ToIP draft I think.
Working with SIMPLE on that part.
Gateways..PSTNs, legacy Textphones... quite complex jungle here. But we will
try.

If we can get a positive signal from SIMPLE for text/t140 support at
negotiation of a session between SIMPLE clients. Then we have many more
possibilities! And we can focus on that instead of changing MSRP to support
text/t140 in a non RTP way.

Greetz

Arnoud

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple