Subject: [Simple] Data model: idle

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 11:08:31 -0400

I believe that the distinction of device and service idleness is of 
limited use. Without detailed knowledge of how a device is set up 
(virtual, physical, idle metrics), one can't deduce much either way. It 
seems unlikely that a watcher would have this

As noted in the draft, a service can be active without human user 
interface (HMI) activity.

Similarly, a device can be in use without HMI activity.

Since only SIMPLE-based services are going to be publishing status, 
there is no problem with the service component reporting the reasoning 
for its indication of idle or activity, such as HMI activity, media 
input, active applications or some kind of physical presence sensor 
(there are security systems that log the user off when the RFID tag is 
removed from the vicinity).

The composer can then draw the right conclusion and deduce the 
presentity or service status by a logical merging or selection operation.

This seems much more explicit than trying to guess or proscribe how 
idleness is being detected.

Henning

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple