Subject: Re: [Simple] Comments on XCAP List Usage

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 22:52:58 -0400

Jari Urpalainen wrote:
> Hi!
> 
> In chapter 3.4.6 there must be a typo, instead of If-None-Match If-Match
> is needed.

Right. THanks. I always seem to mix them up.

> 
> I have some trouble understanding why the service document can contain
> also the list data with entrys etc.. If the document split is being done
> why not use this referencing always ?

Thats a good question. Originally, I had it this way. However, it meant 
that there wasn't a simple case where all I want is a list for my buddy 
list; I don't care about sharing of resource lists. I thought it would 
be valuable to therefore allow the RLS services document to be 
self-contained.

A related benefit is that a self-contained document can be modified and 
you never have referential integrity problems. That is, I never have the 
problem that the RLS services document refers to a resource list that 
doesn't exist.

> 
> Furthermore, if indexing is meant only to find service element for a
> particular uri, I would propose a simpler format, i.e.
> 
> <service uri="sip:[email-masked]">
> joe/services.xml/~~/services[@uri=...</service>
> <service uri="sip:[email-masked]">
> jim/services.xml/~~/services[@uri=...</service>

The reference to the resource-list isnt' the only thing though. There is 
also the set of supported packages. I expect that in the future there 
could be lots of other things - the authorization policies to apply, 
whether or not filters get forwarded, usernames/passwords to use in 
back-end subscriptions, etc.

Really, the RLS services document is meant to encompass all of the 
provisioned data that an RLS needs to get access to in order to process 
an event-list subscription. I think that set could potentially be quite 
large, and I think we need to design for extensibility.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple