Subject: [Simple] MSRP-07 - Dropping Content

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 11:12:36 -0400

When dealing with multipart/mixed and multipart/alternative, especially for
gateway use, I would propose leveraging the Critical-Content work of RFC
3459.

One useful thing is that would answer the question Paul raised with what do
you do with a message that violates one quota:

Quota for text/plain: 128; quota for text/html: 1024

With a message with multipart/alternative and a text/plain of 256 and
text/html of 512, I would offer the gateway silently deletes the text/plain
alternative.  That is WHY the sender  specified multiplart/alternative in
the first place.

Now let's say the message is not multipart/alternative, but is
multipart/mixed.  Let us also assume that the sizes and quotas are the same.

We could reject the entire message, which is the current language.

I would offer that we introduce RFC 3459, critical-content, which allows the
sender to mark which parts, if any MUST get gatewayed, and which MAY be
silently deleted.

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple