Subject: [Simple] MSRP-07 - DSN codes

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 11:32:30 -0400

OK, so this isn't going away.  Here is why you DON'T want to just copy the
result code into the DSN status code, as stated in section 8.7.

Per RFC 3463 (1894 is Obsolete...), we MUST use the following error codes:

Section 10   DSN code         Meaning
200           2.0.0        Unknown success (probably OK)
400           4.0.0        Unknown persistent temporary failure (probably
OK)
403           4.5.1        Protocol error (5), invalid command (1)
415           4.6.1        Message/Media error (6), media not supported (1)
426           4.7.8        Security error (7), TLS required (proposed as 8)
481           4.4.2        Network error (4), excessive dropouts? (2, or new
code)
506           5.4.8        Network error (4), connection exists (proposed as
8)

So, do you want to change 403 to 451, 415 to 461, 426 to 478, 481 to 442,
and 506 to 548?  That works, but...

Per RFC 3463, the error type and specific error codes are three digit
numbers.  Thus SIMPLE response codes would be NXXXXXX, not NXX, where
N=[2-5] and X=[0-9].

Is that what we want?  It actually might no be so bad to have finer
structure to the error code.  Things are pretty ad hoc beyond the N in NXX.

It does mean that SIMPLE error codes would be more in line with SMTP error
codes and not necessarily in line with SIP error codes.

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple