Subject: [Simple] Review of draft-ietf-simple-message-sessions-08 - Byte Ranges in REPORTs

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 12:20:50 -0400

I am really confused about how byte ranges are supposed to work in
reports, and I suspect we are permitting a bunch of nonsense.

Fundamentally, a message can only be considered a success if all its
bytes are received successfully. If it is to be positively acknowledged
   with success reports, then there must be success reports covering
every byte. Is there any point in sending a success report for less than
the entire message? It doesn't help the receiver, and actually makes
more work because it then requires keeping track of what bytes have been
confirmed. And it doesn't ease the job of the sender, who could easily
just wait until all has been received before sending the success report.

The flip side is that a message fails if a single byte fails. At that
point it does no good to know that other parts succeeded or failed. So
while it makes sense to send a failure report based on problems with a
single chunk, there is little value in saying which byte range failed.

Bottom line: unless I have missed something, there is no reason for
Byte-Range in REPORT or responses. A success report should only be sent
after all the chunks of a message have been received. A failure report,
or an error status, can be sent at the time the failure of a single
chunk is known, but need not identify the byte range. (In that case,
maybe the Byte-Range could be optional for debugging purposes only.)

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 13:57:49 +0300

I agree. The situation is further complicated when a relay decides to re-chunk. The relay then has to consume the REPORTs and generate it own to pass upstream.

/Hisham

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf
> Of ext Paul Kyzivat
> Sent: 24.September.2004 19:21
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Simple] Review of 
> draft-ietf-simple-message-sessions-08 - Byte
> Ranges in REPORTs
> 
>