Subject: [Simple] updated presence data model draft

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 16:58:20 -0400

Folks,

I've just submitted an updated presence data model draft. Until it 
appears in the archives, you can pick it up as:

http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/draft-ietf-simple-presence-data-model-00.txt

There are a number of changes since the last version, which I will send 
in a separate note. The most important one to note is that, instead of 
using <tuple> to encode device and person information (person is the new 
term for user data, like "in a meeting" and "sad"), it is encoded using 
a separate <device> and <person> element which are defined in the 
document, including schema. The reason for this is:

1. its backwards compatible with existing pidf implementations, whereas 
the former approach would have caused problems
2. its the natural way to do this if you were designing the schema from 
scratch anyway
3. it avoids the need for the "ugliness" of a separate <tuple-type> 
element to tell you what the tuple actually was

The drawback is that it will require modification of the partial 
publication and partial notification drafts. However, as these are still 
I-D it doesnt seem so troubling, as compared to the more real issues above.

This revision doesn't include the latest discussions on tel URI and 
service identification.

Most of the revisions are based on conclusions reached by the design 
team when we met during IETF. In particular, we believe that there is 
sufficient agreement on the document that we can go ahead and update 
rpid, cipid and related spcifications to be in line with the model, and 
proceed with those documents at this time.

There are some open issues in the data model, which I will send out 
notes on shortly. I don't think any of these gate rpid/cipid from 
proceeding. Henning has given me source for those documents, and I'll be 
modifying and submitting updates to those shortly.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple