Subject: [Simple] Regarding the SIP register messages in SIP for Networked Appliances

From: "Faisal Adeem Siddiqui" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 21:02:48 +0900

I want to know why the To and From addresses are same in this (see below) Register message ? Do we really need the "To" address ? Shouldn't the "To" address be "[email-masked]" ? 
Please explain.

REGISTER [email-masked]
To: [slp:/d=alarmclock, r=bedroom,u=stanm]@ua.stan.home.net
From: [slp:/d=alarmclock, r=bedroom,u=stanm]@ua.stan.home.net 
Content-type: application/ddp
[Device Address]

Thanks in advance.
Faisal.

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 11:09:54 -0400

Faisal Adeem Siddiqui wrote:
> I want to know why the To and From addresses are same in this (see 
> below) Register message ? Do we really need the "To" address ? Shouldn't 
> the "To" address be "[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>" ?
> Please explain.

- The To-URI identifies the address of record that is to be modified
  by the registration.

- The Request-URI identifies the registrar that is intended to process
  the registration. Often it is obtained by stripping the user part from
  the To-URI. But it is up the the UAC to do this, or otherwise
  determine what it is.

- The From-URI identifies the Address of record of the UAC that is
  sending the REGISTER message. It is certainly a very common case
  for this to be the same as the To-URI, but it need not be the
  case.

The technique of deriving the Request-URI is indeed odd and inconsistent
with what is typically done for other sip messages. I believe it is just
an artifact of the way that sip has evolved. But that is the way it is.

	Paul

> REGISTER [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>