Subject: [Simple] Pres Data Model Issue #4, indicating the source of data

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 17:22:08 -0400

The data model draft spends a fair bit of time talking about conflicting 
data, and how a presence server can resolve the conflicts. One of the 
things it talks about is making use of presence meta-data, and in 
particular, the source of a piece of presence data, as a tool in 
deciding how to resolve conflicts.

The question is, do we want to do any work in defining ways of 
identifying the source of the presence information?

I am strongly inclined to say "no", and simply leave this as a potential 
future issue to address. I would modify the data model draft to talk 
about meta-data, but not say anything about future standardization or 
any specific specs where such meta-data are defined.

Comments?

Thanks,
Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 14:33:06 -0400

Similar work will have to be done for geolocation, as this is quite 
important for 911 services to debug when things go wrong. I suspect some 
of the considerations are similar. (You want to know, for example, 
whether the information is native or has been translated and combined in 
some way.)

Also, in general, different pieces of information are likely to have 
different types of sources. For location information, you want to know 
whether this is from GPS or LORAN. Other items will have different 
labeling requirements.

In short: not only out of scope for a general document for getting-done 
reasons, but likely to be highly content-dependent and best handled for 
each type of information.