Subject: [Simple] Presence Authorization Discussion F: To what does a document apply

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 04:46:00 -0400

We went through a debate on the list about what the authroization 
document applied to. Does it apply to the entire document, or to tuples 
individually? Henning had advocated the position that we could add 
components to the <condition> that selected specific tuples that a 
document applied to. I had argued that this complicated things, and made 
it difficult to do things like adjust the <note> which was not specific 
to a tuple.

On the list, there was some consensus that the authorization documents 
should apply to the entire presence document.

One of the things that the data model does is to make service, person 
and device "first class citizens", and give them well-defined 
identifiers (the service URI and device ID) that make useful handles for 
specifying policies. THus, the model would argue that there is probably 
value in being able to say something about the information revealed for 
a specific service.

Indeed, it occurs to me that there is no particular reason why these are 
mutually incompatible approaches. If there is no <condition> that says 
otherwise, an authorization document applies to the entire presence 
document. We could have <conditions> which identify a specific tuple - 
in that case, that authorization document would apply to just the tuple. 
  The document-wide authorization policies are combined, applied, and 
then the per-tuple ones are combined and applied to each tuple in turn.

So, I would propose that the *model* allow for such a condition. 
However, given our lack of clear understanding in what privacy policies 
we really need, I would suggest punting entirely on the definition of 
conditions that would select a service or device. Thus, nothing would be 
provided in the presence authorization specification to support this.

Comments?

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple