Subject: [Simple] Comments on IANA registration at MSRP

From: Miguel Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 16:41:56 +0200

Hi:

During the SIMPLE WG meeting we have a short discussion of the IANA 
registration section in MSRP. Here are more detailed comments. I am 
basing these comments on the IANA registration section of 
draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-new-21.txt Section 8.2.8, which contains 
instructions for registration of SDP parameters.

SDP defines the m= line with the following format:

       m=<media> <port> <proto> <fmt> ...

And a typical MSRP m= line in SDP looks like:

    m=message 9 msrp *

So the actions that are needed to the MSRP draft are:

- MSRP needs to register "message" as a <media>

- MSRP needs to register "msrp" as a <proto>

- Editorial: the registration text in Section 15.3 should follow the 
template in sdp-new. This requires things like contact information, one 
paragraph explanation, etc.

Regards,

        Miguel

-- 
Miguel A. Garcia           tel:+358-50-4804586
Nokia Research Center      Helsinki, Finland

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 15:46:11 -0600

I did a bit more research into the registration of "message", and find 
that the IANA sdp-parameters registry does not currently include media 
values. SDP-New proposes a registry for sdp media field values, and 
registers the "audio", "video", "text", and "application".

Since "message" is a registered top-level MIME type, does it really 
make sense for MSRP to register it? It seems to me to make more sense 
to include it in sdp-new, if it is not to late to do so.

Or does it make more sense for us to use "application" rather than 
"message"?

On Nov 11, 2004, at 8:41 AM, Miguel Garcia wrote:

> template in sdp-new. This requires things like contact information, 
> one paragraph explanation, etc.
>
> Regards,
>
>        Miguel
>
>
>
>
>
> --

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:33:46 +0100

Hi Ben,

I think Colin Perkins will include "message" into the next version of 
SDP-new. I included him in this message so that he can verify it.

Cheers

Magnus

-- 

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]

---

From: Miguel Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:56:21 +0200

Probably it makes more sense that sdp-new registers the top-level 
"message" MIME type.

Colin, since you are editing SDP-new, can you add the "message" registry 
to the next version?

- Miguel

Ben Campbell wrote:

> Since "message" is a registered top-level MIME type, does it really make 
> sense for MSRP to register it? It seems to me to make more sense to 
> include it in sdp-new, if it is not to late to do so.
>

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 09:00:34 +0000

On 29 Nov 2004, at 08:56, Miguel Garcia wrote:
> Colin, since you are editing SDP-new, can you add the "message" 
> registry to the next version?

It's in -sdp-new-22, which I submitted a couple of days ago.

Colin