Subject: [Simple] "version" definition in partial PIDF

From: Miguel Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 12:08:46 +0200

Hi:

The discussion came in the SIPPING mailing list and is related to the 
"version" attribute counter that both the conference event package and 
the partical PIDF have.

Currently both drafts indicate in the text that the version info is a 32 
bit counter. However, the XML schemas do not have such restriction: 
Partial PIDF defines it as a nonNegativeInteger and conference event 
package as a string.

I think we should express as many restrictions as possible in the XML 
schema, so we can reuse standard XML schema validators, and we don't 
need to encode additional restrictions in the code itself. Therefore, I 
am suggesting to add a "maxInclusive" facet to the "version" attribute 
definition, whose value is 2**32 - 1.

      <xs:simpleType name="version-type">
              <xs:restriction base="xs:nonNegativeInteger">
                      <xs:maxInclusive value="4294967295" />
              </xs:restriction>
      </xs:simpleType>

Please synchronize with Orit, who is editing the conference event package.

Regards,

        Miguel
-- 
Miguel A. Garcia           tel:+358-50-4804586
Nokia Research Center      Helsinki, Finland

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Jari Urpalainen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 12:40:14 +0200

Miguel Garcia wrote:

> Currently both drafts indicate in the text that the version info is a 
> 32 bit counter. However, the XML schemas do not have such restriction: 
> need to encode additional restrictions in the code itself. Therefore, 
> I am suggesting to add a "maxInclusive" facet to the "version" 
> attribute definition, whose value is 2**32 - 1.
>

Probably unsignedInt datatype is the right answer ;)
--Jari

---

From: Miguel Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 14:20:27 +0200

Thanks, Jari.

Definitely, unsignedInt is an integer that ranges from 0 unil 2**32 -1, 
so it will do the same thing.

So the proposal then is to define "version" as:

      <xs:simpleType name="version-type">
              <xs:restriction base="xs:unsignedInt" />
      </xs:simpleType>

BR,

        Miguel