Subject: [Simple] Last Call: 'An Extensible Markup Language (XML) Based Format for Event Notification Filtering' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 16:35:35 -0500

The IESG has received a request from the SIP for Instant Messaging and 
Presence Leveraging Extensions WG to consider the following document:

- 'An Extensible Markup Language (XML) Based Format for Event Notification 
   Filtering '
   <draft-ietf-simple-filter-format-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the
[email-masked] or [email-masked] mailing lists by 2004-11-29.

The file can be obtained via
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-simple-filter-format-03.txt

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: jari urpalainen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 22:22:45 +0200

>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-simple-filter-format-03.txt
Hi !

I am sorry for "late" comments (and this many). I'll have some 
performance concerns that servers may suffer from DoS attacks e.g. 
because of many <trigger> conditions although they may well be quite 
useful in some cases. In order to minimize this I'll propose that at 
least examples avoid using anywhere "//" instead of absolute location 
paths that start from the document root.

I would understand the semantics of <what> and <trigger> better if they 
were instead <show> and <if>.

<include> could only have XPath expressions because "namespace" could be 
presented as well with a request like 
*[namespace-uri()="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:pidf"]. Then 'type' attribute 
could be removed. As unions "|" are also possible in XPath they could 
also be used  instead of many <include> or <exclude> elements.

<ns-bindings> element could be removed as <ns-binding> elements could 
just be the first elements below <filter-set>.

The "id" attribute could be of type xs:ID instead of xs:string.

The meaning of the "remove" attribute is unclear to me, doesn't the 
client always send the full filtering document ?

br,
Jari