Subject: [Simple] XCAP xmlns minor questions

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 11:21:54 -0500

Assume we use xmlns(qual="uri") for defining namespaces.
Assume we set the default suitably.
Assume we stick with the current XCAP path syntax.
    Side note:  I prefer sticking with that rather than wrapping it up in
    an xpointer().  I am missing the value to us in the xpointer() reference.

Two minor questions:
1) Is the default name space document dependent?  It seems that making it 
document dependent would simplify references, but complicate processing 
significantly.
2) If the user wants to specify several name spaces, presumably several 
xmlns() declarations are used.  Are these separated by whitespace, slashes, 
or some other separator?

Thanks,
Joel

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: "Nelson Hung" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 11:37:35 -0800

Inline

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Joel M. Halpern
> Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 8:22 AM
> To: Simple WG
> Subject: [Simple] XCAP xmlns minor questions
>

If the xcap path's default namespace is document dependent, XCAP client
would then need to have another mechanism to found out the default namespace
(not the default namespace of the XCAP document) to be used on an xcap
path...

I do not quite understand what you mean by "simplify references". Can you
provide an example?
 
> xmlns() declarations are used.  Are these separated by whitespace,
slashes, 

They are separated by zero or more white space character

http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-xptr-framework-20030325/#syntax

[3]   	SchemeBased	   ::=   	 PointerPart (S? PointerPart)*
[4]   	PointerPart	   ::=   	SchemeName '(' SchemeData ')'

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#NT-S

[3]   	S	   ::=   	(#x20 | #x9 | #xD | #xA)+

> Joel

.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 14:56:25 -0500

I suspect the problem of knowing which namespace is the "default" makes per 
document defaults too painful.
But the reason for raising the question is that the XML for presence, 
privacy policy, and conference policy is defined in different 
documents.  if the default is global, we are going to end up requiring 
xmlns declarations most of the time.  Which is noisy and verbose.  But not 
fatal.

Yours,
Joel

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 01:15:29 -0500

I think the default would be per app usage.

So, in the case of presence authorization, that would presumably be 
urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:common-policy. Odds are good that many queries 
would also require urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:pres-rules to be defined in 
the URI.

In the case of the resource list application usage, it would presumably 
be urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:resource-lists. For the RLS services, it would 
be urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:rls-services, and most queries would also 
require urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:resource-lists to be defined in the URI.

-Jonathan R.

Joel M. Halpern wrote:

> I suspect the problem of knowing which namespace is the "default" makes 
> per document defaults too painful.
> xmlns declarations most of the time.  Which is noisy and verbose.  But 
> not fatal.
> 
> Yours,
> Joel
> 

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Director, Service Provider VoIP Architecture   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com