Subject: [Simple] updated XCAP spec

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 01:58:55 -0400

Folks,

I've just submitted an update to the core xcap spec. Until it appears in 
the archives, you can pick up a copy at:

http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/draft-ietf-simple-xcap-07.txt

This is based on IESG comments made during the review of the document. 
The changes are:

* new text in the security considerations section:

Because XCAP is a usage of HTTP and not a separate protocol, it runs
    on the same port numbers as HTTP traffic normally does.  This makes
    it difficult to apply port-based filtering rules in firewalls to
    separate the treatment of XCAP traffic from other HTTP traffic.
    However, this problem exists broadly today because HTTP is used to
    access a wide breadth of content, all on the same port, and XCAP
    views application configuration documents as just another type of
    HTTP content.  As such, separate treatment of XCAP traffic from other
    HTTP traffic requires firewalls to examine the URL itself.  There is
    no foolproof way to identify a URL as pointing to an XCAP resource.
    However, the presence of the double tilde (~~) is a strong hint that
    the URL points to an XML element or attribute.  As always, care must
    be taken in looking for the double-tilde due to the breadth of ways
    in which a URI can be encoded on-the-wire [30] [31].

* bug in the schema which was using urn:ietf:xml:params:ns:xcap-caps for 
the namespace instead of urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xcap-caps

* fixed bug in the examples, which were missing the double-tilde in a 
few places (!!)

* updated reference to xcap-package to xcap-diff based on filename change

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Director, Service Provider VoIP Architecture   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple