Subject: [Simple] updated xcap-diff spec

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 02:46:49 -0400

Folks,

I submitted an update to the xcap-diff spec. Until it appears in the 
archives, you can pick up a copy at:

http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/draft-ietf-simple-xcap-diff-01.txt

The biggest change here is that, based discussion at last ietf, I 
separated this from patch-ops and reverted back to the previous 
appraoch, which represents the changes via a list of the xcap operations 
that took place.

Other changes:

* added additional motivations - namely that content indirection is
less useful for xcap content, since the content-ID is not the same as
the etag.

* allow for addition and removal of entire documents by making the
node-selector attribute of the put and delete event reports to be
optional. the previous-etag is also optional.

* allow for the xcap-diff document to indicate that a document has
changed, and the new etags are provided, but the changes themselves
are not in the document. The recipient of the xcap-diff would still
need to fetch the content. This is really handy for config
framework. A client PUTs an update, gets the new etag. Each client
gets a NOTIFY indicating the new and old etags, but no change log. The
client that did
the PUT notices that it has the most recent copy already (since it did
the PUT that caused the update), and is done. Others fetch the new
document.

* added terminology section and cleaned up terminology throughout the
spec

There aren't any open issues per se, except whether we want to continue 
with the separation of xcap-diff from the partial-publish and other 
drafts. I would like to do that.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Director, Service Provider VoIP Architecture   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple