Subject: [Simple] Comment about draft-ietf-simple-event-list-07.txt

From: "MARJOU Xavier RD-MAPS-LAN" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 08:46:42 +0200

Hi,

In "Section 6 Example", the Presence document of some presentities is
sent directly by the RLS in F3. This must not possible because Privacy
Filtering is not executed at the RLS, but at the Presence Server of each
presentity. Thus immediate answer from RLS breaks "privacy filtering" of
those presentities.

I think this suggested by the sentence "RLS is also an authority for
presence information for the users in the vancouver.example.com
domain.", but I think it is worth underlying this "privacy filtering"
aspect.

Xavier

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:56:52 -0400

Xavier,

I differ with your interpretation of this. The RLS acts as a watcher for 
each element of the event list. The corresponding notifier must make any 
privacy filtering decisions based on the identity the RLS presents when 
subscribing. One would hope that the RLS will, if it can, use the 
identity of the subscriber to the RLS, or some identity that is uniquely 
associated to that of that subscriber. But the details of that are 
implementation issues.

If an RLS supports many subscribers but can only assert a single 
identity then information it gets may be distribted to many. When 
presentities set up their authorization rules they should be circumspect 
in what they disclose to an RLS.

This is no different than a person being careful not to tell secrets to 
someone known to gossip.

	Paul