Subject: [Simple] RE: draft-brok-simple-regulate-publish

From: "Brok, Jacco (Jacco)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:27:12 +0200

Hi,

So far, there has not been much interest in this I-D. This is surprising
given that SIMPLE and SIPPING don't offer an adequate solution for 
regulating the number of presence-related messages over an expensive, 
narrow-band mobile channel. Protocol level solutions for throttling 
help, but not as much as this draft.

I indend to create a new revision as soon as the RPID and PDM work is 
settling down. Needles to day I will update the examples according to 
the latest I-Ds.

Regarding your MIME type question, you drew the right conclusion. At 
first, I thought of a different filter format for the SUBSCRIBE body. 
Due to the similarities with the NOTIFY body, I figured that reuse is 
better (too many document formats in this world already).

Section 4.2 also says that the SUBSCRIBE body as defined in the draft 
SHOULD be used, but there MAY be others in future.

Hope this helps,
Jacco

-----Original Message-----
From: Fridy Sharon-Fridman [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: woensdag 13 juli 2005 15:06
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: draft-brok-simple-regulate-publish

Hi,
 
What is the status of interest of SIMPLE in this I/D? Do you plan a revision?
 
The MIME type of an event package, usually defines the NOTIFY body, and in presence - the PUBLISH body as well.
For the SUBSCRIBE body, it is usually defined to be a filtering request and is NOT having the same structure as the information above.
 
In 4.2, it seems you try to re-use the same MIME (by adding a limitation "<constraint> should be ignored by the server"). This practice seems not to fit the other event packages defined, and also creates ambiguity what exactly the MIME corresponds to. Did you specify this for simplicity?
 
Cheers,
--Fridy / Followap

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple