Subject: [Simple] niemi-simple-chat

From: "Cullen Jennings" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 10:19:37 -0400

Just and idle thought that I suspect has been discussed in the past...

If the CPIM To header was used to carry the names (or nicknames) of all the
desired recipients of the message, could we avoid adding a new method? Not
sure this is a good idea but what I am trying to achieve is to allow
baseline MSRP clients that don't understand the extensions in the "chat
specification" to be able to participate in a chat session where it just
looks like a robot. Clients that did understand chat would be able to do the
additional functionality of targeting messages at just a subset of the
users.

Cullen

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Aki Niemi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 17:37:06 +0300

Hi Cullen,

Thanks for the comments.

> additional functionality of targeting messages at just a subset of the

The previous version actually talked about this; all messages sent from 
the MSRP switch/mixer were SENDs. That way non-chat-aware clients could 
render them in the normal manner.

However, I think there is a privacy aspect to this. Replying to a note 
that was originally only supposed to be seen by a subset would be bad, 
so I think there would have to be some way to avoid that. The new method 
solves this, as those clients that don't support the method would reject 
the messages.

Another option could be a CPIM Require token for this, althogh I suspect 
it isn't widely supported. That's why a new method might stand a better 
chance of avoiding the information leakage.

Then there are many other, non-protocol means to solve the privacy 
issue, like prepending some [private] token to CPIM Subject, etc. So I'm 
open to any solution here that works, really.

Cheers,
Aki

---

From: "Cullen Jennings" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 12:30:47 +0200

Ok, as dean says, there are many ways to skin a cat. I guese an approach
that mangled the URI would be my least favorite way to skin this one.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Aki Niemi [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2005 4:37 PM
> To: ext Cullen Jennings
> Cc: Simple WG
> Subject: Re: [Simple] niemi-simple-chat
>
> Hi Cullen,
>
> Thanks for the comments.
>