Subject: [Simple] Question on the <device-id>

From: "Zisimopoulos, Haris, VF-Group" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 23:38:24 +0100

Hello,

I think there might be some problems related to the <device-id> element
in the latest versions of the PDM and RPID.
In the past the <device-id> was defined in the "rpid-tuple" namespace
and the <deviceID> in the "data-model-device" namespace. 
Now as I see the <deviceID> is correctly transfered to the new
"data-model" namespace, but the <device-id> is missing. The data model
I-D gives examples with the <device-id> in the "data-model" namespace,
but it is not defined in the namespace itself.
On the other hand RPID-08 ignores the <device-id> from the examples
using the <deviceID> element under <tuple> instead (prefixing it based
on the PDM namespace), although it mentions the <device-id> in the
element definitions. 
Is there something I miss here?

Best regards,
Haris

Haris Zisimopoulos
Vodafone Group Research & Development - UK

Telephone: +44 (0)7919994709
E-mail: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 00:24:53 -0400

You are correct that there is a problem here. I mentioned this during 
the last IETF meeting, where I had proposed that we should define the 
<deviceID> element in common-schema.xsd. However, since the meeting I 
have realized this won't work. It would result in the <deviceID> element 
actually being defined twice, with the same local name but in two 
different namespaces - data-model and rpid. That is a recipe for disaster.

So, my proposal is to define the <deviceID> element once in the 
data-model schema, and let rpid just reuse it.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Director, Service Provider VoIP Architecture   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com