Subject: [Simple] XCAP draft questions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 06:13:00 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

Some very basic doubts.
1. How is the user first created in the xcap server?
"PUT /services/resource-lists/users/bill HTTP/1.1"
Will this associate a directory name-service "bill" in the xcap server
Or
"PUT /services/resource-lists/users/bill/fr.xml HTTP/1.1"
will this associate a directory name-service "bill" in the xcap server.
It has been recommended not to create sub-directories (in specific case of
a file system) for the document selector and create a single file.
Maybe the use of term "directory" at places is a bit mis-leading.

2. In example in Section 6.4
<ns2:baz xmlns:ns2="urn:test:namespace2-uri"/>
should be
<ns2:baz xmlns:baz="urn:test:namespace2-uri"/>
Looks like a typo.

3. As mentioned earlier the schema instance hints if removed would be nice.

4. In case of positional inserts, if a position specified is more than the
existing node count, should this be treated as an error case or should
insert happen at the last location?

Regards
-Anurag

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 01:39:30 -0400

answers inline.

> 1. How is the user first created in the xcap server?

Administratively. It is assumed that, for all valid users in the system, 
their home directory exists.

> Will this associate a directory name-service "bill" in the xcap server

No.

> will this associate a directory name-service "bill" in the xcap server.

No, not if it already exists.

> <ns2:baz xmlns:baz="urn:test:namespace2-uri"/>

No, I believe that part is correct. ns2 is the namespace prefix and is 
defined by the xmlns:ns2 attribute.

There is an error there, though, and its in the next line:

     <ns3:hi xmlns:hi="urn:test:namespace3-uri">
        <there/>
      </ns3:hi>

this should be xmlns:ns3="urn:test:namespace3-uri". I'll fix that. It 
doesnt actually impact any of the discussion that follows, but its 
misleading.

> insert happen at the last location?

Its an error, since its not possible to perform an insertion such that, 
after insertion, the URI refers to the recently-inserted element.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Director, Service Provider VoIP Architecture   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com