Subject: [Simple] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-simple-xml-patch-ops-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 18:50:01 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the SIP for Instant Messaging and Presence Leveraging Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: An Extensible Markup Language (XML) Patch 
                          Operations Framework Utilizing XML Path 
                          Language (XPath) Selectors
	Author(s)	: J. Urpalainen
	Filename	: draft-ietf-simple-xml-patch-ops-01.txt
	Pages		: 22
	Date		: 2006-1-27
	
Extensible Markup Language (XML) documents are widely used as
   containers for the exchange and storage of arbitrary data in today's
   systems.  Updates to this data require transporting of the entire XML
   document between hosts, unless there's a mechanism that allows
   exchanging only the updates of XML documents.  This document
   describes an XML patch framework utilizing XML Path language (XPath)
   selectors.  These selector values and updated new data content
   constitute the basis of patch operations described in this document.

   In addition to them, with basic <add>, <replace> and <remove>
   directives a set of patches can then be applied to update an existing
   XML document.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-simple-xml-patch-ops-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-simple-xml-patch-ops-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-simple-xml-patch-ops-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Jari Urpalainen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:05:35 +0200

ext [email-masked] wrote:

>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
Changes since 00-version:
-Removed text patching which can be done separately if there's enough 
need for it. However, with document oriented models a <move> operation 
and text patching combined with move seems to be a necessity to produce 
really size-efficient diff documents. As one can imagine,  the 
complexity of such a process e.g. an auto diffing tool, increases a lot 
compared to this very basic set described in this i-d.
-Fixed schema: removed unnecessary default values for attributes, added 
"prepend" option, fixed "before/after" selections.
-Text nits: some restructuring of the document, added some descriptive 
text how e.g. namespace mangling has to be implemented in practice. 
Various small nits to fix possible "holes".

I'd really appreciate comments (and btw. open source implementation will 
be updated shortly)
br,
Jari