Subject: RE: [Simple] IMDN issue #10: More than one IMDN for an IM

From: "Burger, Eric" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 15:35:10 -0500

REPORT method tells you the IM was received.
ACK of the MESSAGE tells you the IM was received.

IMDN is for user-level read, not transport.  This is the distinction
between user-level (IMDN, MDN) and transport-level (MESSAGE, ACK, SMTP
DSN) reporting.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Hisham Khartabil
Sent: Friday, January 27, 2006 10:19 AM
To: Simple WG
Subject: [Simple] IMDN issue #10: More than one IMDN for an IM

The draft states:

"The Reporting UAS MUST NOT send more than one final IMDN in response
    to an IMDN request.  That is, once an IMDN has been issued on behalf
    of a recipient, no further IMDNs may be issued on behalf of that
    recipient, even if another disposition is performed on the message.
    For example, if the user reads and then deletes the message, the UAS
    will send a single read notification.  The delete operation in this
    case will not generate an additional IMDN."

I do not agree. I would like to know when the message is delivered, 
then when the message is read and when whatever future state we come up 
with for an IM happens.

Regards,
Hisham

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Aki Niemi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 10:58:07 +0200

> ACK of the MESSAGE tells you the IM was received.

No it doesn't, if it is a 202. For that you need a delivery report that 
is sent when the message actually gets forwarded to the final recipient.

Cheers,
Aki

---

From: Hisham Khartabil <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 10:11:52 +0100

I dont understand your point here. what ACK for the message? do you 
mean 200 ok?

While 200 ok is transport level delivery, IMDN is user level delivery 
notification. A GW, for example, can generate a 2xx response before it 
has been guaranteed that the final recipient has actually received the 
message.

Hisham