Subject: [Simple] Question on winfo

From: "Arjun Roychowdhury" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 16:59:19 -0500

Hi,
RFC 3857 (winfo) does not specify any package parameter in its
specifications.

We have a proprietary event package defined, call it 'foo'

'foo' requires a mandatory package parameter, say X

So when a person subscribes, the Event Header looks like this:
Event:foo;X=123

Now, we need to provide this X=123 even if it is a winfo template for my
event

Therefore, is it legal to do this:

Event:foo.winfo;X=123

thx
arjun

--
Arjun Roychowdhury
_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 17:54:38 -0500

No, event package parameters are not inherited by winfo.

-Jonathan R.

Arjun Roychowdhury wrote:

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

---

From: "Arjun Roychowdhury" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 18:36:32 -0500

Thanks, I feared so :-)

Since 3265 says "Event package parameters" can modify the behaviour of an
event package, it can be expected that the parameters are a critical part of
further sub-classification of a particular event, in which case, it would
also be useful if winfo allowed any package parameters to pass along as
well.

Consider an example:

An event package X allows each user to maintain several 'event objects'
(therefore here, there is a n:1 relationship between the number of 'items'
that a single user [email-masked] can PUBLISH to the Event Server. Each
'item' is therefore uniquely differentiable, as a further subclassification
to [email-masked]

Now, if Bob, wants to know if any other user subscribed to one of his items,
it would useful if he could just do:

Event:X.winfo;item=item-id

Anyway, since 3265 allows us to  create our own events, and winfo is defined
to provide a ready template-event for subscribing to the state of another
event , the Event Server which specified the package parameter in the first
place is going to be responsible for the winfo handling as well and can
interpret the item parameter, which can be passed on 'blindly' to the 'X
handler' in the Event Server.

regds
arjun