Subject: [Simple]Question on MESSAGE

From: Ren-Huang Liou <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 13:04:26 +0800

Hi,

Do I need to send INVITE in order to establish session, before I send MESSAGE request?
Two internet drafts about this issue has been expired for a long time.
(SDP Extensions for SIP Instant Message Sessions, SIP Instant Message Sessions)

Does it mean that I don't need to send INVITE, before I send MESSAGE?

Thanks in advance

Best regards,
Ren-Huang Liou

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: "jp.yi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 14:09:47 +0900

Yes..

You don't need to use INVITE message for MESSAGE session.

BEST, JP.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ren-Huang Liou [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2006 2:04 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Simple]Question on MESSAGE

Hi,

Do I need to send INVITE in order to establish session, before I send
MESSAGE request? Two internet drafts about this issue has been expired
for a long time. (SDP Extensions for SIP Instant Message Sessions, SIP
Instant Message Sessions)

Thanks in advance

Best regards,
Ren-Huang Liou

---

From: Michael Zhou <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 00:38:57 -0500

If you want to do session mode IM, then you need to establish the
session using INVITE and send IM inside the INVITE dialog. Microsoft
Mesenger implements session mode IM.

There is another mode, called pager mode IM, where you don't have to
send INVITE prior to MESSAGE. All MESSAGE's in this case are out of any
dialog. Gaim and Sametime and others implements pager mode IM.

Michael

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 12:45:32 -0600

> dialog. Gaim and Sametime and others implements pager mode IM.

Note that sending sequences of MESSAGE inside an INVITE dialog is NOT  
the preferred way to do session-mode IM. The preferred way to do  
session-mode IM is to use the INVITE transaction to establish an MSRP  
session. MSRP sessions are mostly documented in draft-ietf-simple- 
message-sessions-13.txt, which is nearing completion.

--
Dean

---

From: Avshalom Houri <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:08:15 +0200

Note also that by design there is no contact header in MESSAGE. 
This was done to prevent creating a session via MESSAGE.

--Avshalom

Dean Willis <[email-masked]> 
27-02-06 08:45 PM

To
Michael Zhou <[email-masked]>, Ren-Huang Liou <[email-masked]>
cc
Simple WG <[email-masked]>
Subject
Re: [Simple]Question on MESSAGE

--
Dean