Subject: [Simple] partial publications processing

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 09:46:22 +0100

Hello, 

I am trying to find out how partial publication processing should work.
In draft-ietf-simple-partial-publish-03, par. 4.2 (Generation of Partial
Publications) is written:

...

  o  The document in the body of the request is populated with a <pidf-

      full> root element that includes the 'entity' attribute set to

      identify the presentity, and a 'version' attribute that MUST be

      initialized by setting it to one.

...

In par. 4.3.1 (Processing of Partial Publications) is written:

...

  o  The compositor MUST initialize its local version counter, and set

      it to the 'version' attribute value of the <pidf-full> element.

...

The "server part" does not state that the initial publication must have
version 1, while "client part" does. My understanding is that the server
should not care about the version number in the initial publication, and
should accept it even if the version is not 1. Is it correct?

This problem leads to another, more general - I am not sure how to
interpret "client" and "server" parts of IETF specifications. If some
specification states that client MUST do something (e.g. set the version
number to 1 as in this example), does it affect the server behavior - so
the server MUST check if the version is 1? Or is client and server part
"separate", so if the "server" part does not state that the server MUST
check it (the version number, in this example), then the server does not
check it ...

Could someone bring light to this problem please?

Thank you,

Silvestr Peknik

Software Specialist

TietoEnator

Czech Software Center

Phone +420 599 096 027

E-mail [email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]>   

Vystavni 292/13

CZ-709 16 Ostrava

www.tietoenator.com <http://www.tietoenator.com/> 

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple