Subject: RE: [Simple] IMDN?

From: "Burger, Eric" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 00:47:11 -0500

Thanks for the feedback!

For question 1:
The IMDN, from the perspective of the IM network, is simply an IM.  Thus
it requires its own, unique message identifier.  Thus we have a data
element with the message identifier of the original message.  This way
the sender can determine the identity of the original message.

For question 2:
One of the differences between transport delivery (REPORT) and user
disposition (IMDN) is that transport delivery occurs pretty much in
real-time, with the exception of store-and-forward.  We can impose
timers on transport delivery, because we have an idea, by design, how
long it should take for a message to deliver.  Once we introduce
store-and-forward, the best the protocol (i.e. MSRP) can do is let the
sender know "the network" reliably has the message.  At that point the
IMDN mechanism can kick in.

The problem is the user's disposition has absolutely no deterministic
time-out.  There are many, many situation where a disposition notice
(IMDN) will correctly never come.  Thus we can neither specify a retry
interval (time-out) nor require the user agent server to issue an IMDN.

For question 3:
The "D" in IMDN is for Disposition, not Delivery.  "Read" is one of the
dispositions, but there are a host of other dispositions.

Thank you SO much for reviewing the draft - I hope this starts a dialog
on the open issues on the list!

Regards,
Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: Lunjian Mu [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2006 10:36 PM
To: Burger, Eric; Simple WG
Subject: Re: [Simple] IMDN?

Hi Burger,
    In OMA MWG IM will use the IMDN, I have some comments on it:
1.From the example, the imdn.Message-ID of request is not the
response's,  and the ID of request is the same as the
original-message-id in xml of IMDN. By my understanding one request to
one user only receives one response from  the user, why not the response
Message-ID is the same as the request's and whether the
original-message-id is needed? 

2.whether the IMDN should include the mechanism of timer to wait for the
notification.

3. Generally question: why the IMDN is not named as IMRN(instant
messaging readed notification)? Because delivery notification is known
as the report of successful delivery to the UA.

Best regards,
 
Lunjian Mu

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple