Subject: [Simple]Does IM need a REPORT?

From: "Xiang Ting" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 23:21:29 +0800

In RFC 3428 - Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Extension for Instant
Messaging, there is no mechanism to ensure an Instant Message deliver
to terminal UE from original UE successfully. The protocol only define
a 202 Accept response code indicating that a server has received the
message, but had no way to let orignal UE know whether a delivery is
successful. The RFC 3428 describe this problem as follows:
[snip]
If confirmation of delivery is required for a message
   that has been responded to with a 202 Accepted, that confirmation
   must be delivered via some other mechanism, which is beyond the scope
   of this specification.
[/snip]

I want to know whether a success/failure report in telecom network is
necessary? And has anyone done such a work yet? Or we need to do such
work as a supplement to RFC 3428?

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 10:58:42 -0500

It depends on your architecture.

If you can deliver to the final destination immediately, you can use  
the SIP 200 response, which immediately tells you that the message  
was successfully delivered.

If there is some intermediary device such a store and forward server  
that accepts the message with a 202, and then delivers later, you may  
optionally want some sort of delivery notification when the delivery  
actually happens. This is the sort of notification that 3428 is  
talking about being out of scope. There is currently work going on in  
the SIMPLE work group on defining a mechanism for this.

---

From: "Xiang Ting" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 22:51:13 +0800

I am appreciated for your reply.

> the SIMPLE work group on defining a mechanism for this.

I want to know which ieft-draft describe this requirement?
Thanks.

---

From: Hisham Khartabil <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 18:03:42 +0200

> I want to know which ieft-draft describe this requirement?

There are 2 proposals for this. Within the next week or 2, I will be 
submitting a converged version. I hope that's not too late for you.

Regards,
Hisham