Subject: [Simple] Suggestion on MSRP connection model

From: "Xiang Ting" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 11:56:18 +0800

The MSRP draft describe connection initial under TCP as below:
[snip]
   When a new MSRP session is created, the offerer MUST act as the
   "active" endpoint, meaning that it is responsible for opening the
   transport connection to the answerer, if a new connection is
   required.  However, this requirement MAY be weakened if standardized
   mechanisms for negotiating the connection direction become available,
   and is implemented by both parties to the connection.
[/snip]

There is a new RFC 4415 named 'TCP-Based Media Transport in the
Session Description Protocol (SDP)'
give solution on how to create TCP based connection using SDP.

I suggest MSRP can also  use the method describe in RFC4415 to initial
it's connection, this is more flexible.

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 22:51:48 -0600

4415 is "IANA Registration for Enumservice Voice ". I assume you are  
referring to RFC 4145.

This RFC was still a work in progress at the time that the SIMPLE  
working group designed the connection management features of MSRP,  
and did not at that time meet the needs the MSRP requirement of  
positively identifying which session an incoming connection belonged  
to.  When 4145 was published, this part of MSRP was substantially  
complete, and the working group did not choose to redesign because of  
the completion of another RFC. You can understand how it becomes  
impossible to complete a specification if you reopen items for which  
the working group already has consensus each time a potentially  
related publication is completed.

My opinion on the matter is that we should complete MSRP as it is,  
and then if 4145 is determined to be a better approach MSRP we can  
write a new spec that updates that part of MSRP. That is the point of  
the statement saying that the MSRP connection direction may be  
overridden if a standardized approach for connection direction  
negotiation becomes available.