Subject: [Simple] clarification regarding 'Require' header usage in draft-ietf-simple-event-list-07.txt

From: "Shetti Shrinivas-Q16945" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 16:41:32 +0800

hi,
above draft has following statement in section 4.2
------------------------------------------------------------------------
   Including "eventlist" in a "Require" header field in a SUBSCRIBE
   request serves no purpose except breaking interoperability in certain
   cases, and is consequently NOT RECOMMENDED.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can anyone clarify why do we discourage use of 'Require' header?
My perception about this header being used in SUBSCRIBE is that, it is
not going to cause any harm or issue. I might be missing something.
I have following scenario in mind.
All the presence SUBSCRIBE messages land at a proxy. The proxy server
decides to route the request to either 'RLS server' or 1-1 presence
server.
Now, if client can use 'Require: eventlist', this is definite indication
for the proxy to route the request to RLS server. Rest of the
subscriptions can go to 1-1 presence server.
thanks and best regards,
Shetti
_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: "Shetti Shrinivas-Q16945" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 17:20:39 +0800

In the scenario I've mentioned, the assumption is that clients do have
knowledge about whether they are subscribing to list URI or NOT. 
So, is there any harm if they use 'Require:eventlist', when they know
that the request URI is a list URI?
 
thanks,
Shetti

________________________________

From: Shetti Shrinivas-Q16945 
Sent: Friday, June 09, 2006 2:12 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Cc: Kelley Sean-Q12059
Subject: clarification regarding 'Require' header usage in
draft-ietf-simple-event-list-07.txt

hi,