Subject: [Simple] Please Comment: proposed SIMPLE charter

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 10:41:38 -0500

All -

Based on the feedback at and since IETF66, we've updated the proposed  
new charter
and milestones for the SIMPLE working group.

You'll find the result below (it's also at http://www.nostrum.com/ 
~rjsparks/charter.txt)

Please read this over and comment. If there is no objection or  
substantive comment
by the next two weeks (Aug 24), we'll ask Jon to start the process of  
making it official.

Thanks,

RjS

-------

Description of Working Group:

This working group focuses on the application of the Session Initiation
Protocol (SIP, RFC 3261) to the suite of services collectively known  
as instant
messaging and presence (IMP). The IETF has committed to producing an
interoperable standard for these services compliant to the  
requirements for IM
outlined in RFC 2779 (including the security and privacy requirements  
there)
and in the Common Presence and Instant Messaging (CPIM) specification,
developed within the IMPP working group. As the most common services  
for which
SIP is used share quite a bit in common with IMP, the adaptation of  
SIP to IMP
seems a natural choice given the widespread support for (and relative  
maturity
of) the SIP standard.

This group has completed the majority of its primary goals and will  
focus
on the remaining tasks documented here and concluding. Any proposed new
work should be socialized with the chairs and AD early to determine if
this WG is an appropriate venue.

The primary remaining work of this group will be to complete:

1. The MSRP proposed standard mechanism for transporting sessions of  
messages
    initiated using the SIP, compliant to the requirments of RFC  
2779, CPIM
    and BCP 41.

2. The XCAP framework for representing and carrying configuration and  
policy
    information in SIMPLE systems.

3. A mechanism for representing partial changes (patches) to XML  
documents
    and extensions to the SIMPLE publication and notification  
mechanisms to
    convey these partial changes.

4. An annotated overview of the SIMPLE protocol definition documents.

Any SIP extensions proposed in the course of this development will,  
after a
last call process, be transferred to the SIP WG for consideration as  
formal SIP
extensions.

The working group will work within the framework for presence and IM  
described
in RFC 2778. The extensions it defines must also be compliant with  
the SIP
processes for extensions. The group cannot modify baseline SIP  
behavior or
define a new version of SIP for IM and presence. If the group  
determines that
any capabilities requiring an extension to SIP are needed, the group  
will seek
to define such extensions within the SIP working group, and then use  
them here.

Goals and Milestones:
Done	  	Submission of event package for presence to IESG for  
publication as Proposed Standard
Done	  	Submission of watcher information drafts to IESG for  
publication as Proposed Standards
Done	  	Submission of proposed event list mechanism to the SIP  
working group
Done	  	Submission of requirements for event publishing to the IESG  
for publication as Proposed Standard
Done	  	Submission of proposed mechanism for event publishing to the  
SIP working group
Done	  	Submission of SIMPLE PIDF profile to IESG for publication as  
Proposed Standard
Done	  	Submission of base XCAP draft to IESG for publication as  
Proposed Standard
Done	  	Submission of indication of instant message preparation using  
SIP to IESG for publication as a Proposed Standard
Done	  	Submission of XCAP usage for manipulation of presence  
document content
Done	  	Submission of XCAP usage for setting presence authorization  
to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard
Done	  	Submission of Filtering mechanisms to IESG for publication as  
a Proposed Standard
Done	  	Submission of instant messaging session draft to IESG for  
publication as a Proposed Standard
Done	  	Submission of instant messaging session relay drafts to IESG  
for publication as Proposed Standards
Done		Submission of Partial Notification mechanism to IESG for  
publication as a Proposed Standard
Sep 2006  	Submission of an Instant Message Disposition Status  
Notification mechanism to the IESG for publication as a Proposed  
Standard
Dec 2006  	Submission of proposed mechanisms meeting the advanced  
messaging requirements to the IESG or appropriate working group
Dec 2006  	Submission of XCAP event package to IESG or appropriate  
working group targeting publication as Proposed Standard
Mar 2007	Submission of a performance and scalability analysis of the  
SIMPLE presence mechanisms to the IESG for publication as Informational
Jun 2007  	Submission of SIMPLE protocol annotated overview draft to  
IESG for publication as Informational
Jul 2007		Conclusion of SIMPLE

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Avshalom Houri <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 16:29:23 +0300

Regarding:

Mar 2007                 Submission of a performance and scalability 
analysis of the 
SIMPLE presence mechanisms to the IESG for publication as Informational

Does it mean that we stop at that analysis or we try and create some 
optimizations
to solve issues that are found in the analysis?

I think that we will need to go behind analysis only.

--Avshalom

Robert Sparks <[email-masked]> 
10/08/2006 18:41

To
[email-masked]
cc
[email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject
[Simple] Please Comment: proposed SIMPLE charter

All -

Thanks,

RjS

-------

Goals and Milestones:
Done                             Submission of event package for presence 
to IESG for 
publication as Proposed Standard
Done                             Submission of watcher information drafts 
to IESG for 
publication as Proposed Standards
Done                             Submission of proposed event list 
mechanism to the SIP 
working group
Done                             Submission of requirements for event 
publishing to the IESG 
for publication as Proposed Standard
Done                             Submission of proposed mechanism for 
event publishing to the 
SIP working group
Done                             Submission of SIMPLE PIDF profile to IESG 
for publication as 
Proposed Standard
Done                             Submission of base XCAP draft to IESG for 
publication as 
Proposed Standard
Done                             Submission of indication of instant 
message preparation using 
SIP to IESG for publication as a Proposed Standard
Done                             Submission of XCAP usage for manipulation 
of presence 
document content
Done                             Submission of XCAP usage for setting 
presence authorization 
to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard
Done                             Submission of Filtering mechanisms to 
IESG for publication as 
a Proposed Standard
Done                             Submission of instant messaging session 
draft to IESG for 
publication as a Proposed Standard
Done                             Submission of instant messaging session 
relay drafts to IESG 
for publication as Proposed Standards
Done                             Submission of Partial Notification 
mechanism to IESG for 
publication as a Proposed Standard
Sep 2006                 Submission of an Instant Message Disposition 
Status 
Notification mechanism to the IESG for publication as a Proposed 
Standard
Dec 2006                 Submission of proposed mechanisms meeting the 
advanced 
messaging requirements to the IESG or appropriate working group
Dec 2006                 Submission of XCAP event package to IESG or 
appropriate 
working group targeting publication as Proposed Standard
Mar 2007                 Submission of a performance and scalability 
analysis of the 
SIMPLE presence mechanisms to the IESG for publication as Informational
Jun 2007                 Submission of SIMPLE protocol annotated overview 
draft to 
IESG for publication as Informational
Jul 2007                                 Conclusion of SIMPLE

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 15:18:55 -0500

Here are the only comments I've received (paraphrased):

Hisham: remove the word Status from the IMDN milestone
Avshalom: consider adding a milestone for creating new mechanism to  
optimize SIMPLE traffic based on the analysis milestone.

Making Hisham's change is trivial.

I think we'd be better off waiting until we get deeper into the  
analysis before we add milestones for optimizing mechanics. We'll
certainly be able to do that if/when we identify some and determine  
that SIMPLE is the right place to build them.

I'll be submitting this (with the trivial change) for IESG approval.

RjS

On Aug 10, 2006, at 10:41 AM, Robert Sparks wrote:

> All -
>
> Based on the feedback at and since IETF66, we've updated the  
> proposed new charter
> by the next two weeks (Aug 24), we'll ask Jon to start the process  
> of making it official.
>
> Thanks,
>
> RjS
>
> -------
>
> Protocol (SIP, RFC 3261) to the suite of services collectively  
> known as instant
> outlined in RFC 2779 (including the security and privacy  
> requirements there)
> developed within the IMPP working group. As the most common  
> services for which
> seems a natural choice given the widespread support for (and  
> relative maturity
> of) the SIP standard.
>
> 1. The MSRP proposed standard mechanism for transporting sessions  
> of messages
> 2. The XCAP framework for representing and carrying configuration  
> and policy
> last call process, be transferred to the SIP WG for consideration  
> as formal SIP
> extensions.
>
> The working group will work within the framework for presence and  
> IM described
> any capabilities requiring an extension to SIP are needed, the  
> group will seek
> to define such extensions within the SIP working group, and then  
> use them here.
>
> Goals and Milestones:
> Done	  	Submission of proposed mechanism for event publishing to  
> the SIP working group
> Done	  	Submission of SIMPLE PIDF profile to IESG for publication  
> as Proposed Standard
> Done	  	Submission of indication of instant message preparation  
> using SIP to IESG for publication as a Proposed Standard
> Done	  	Submission of Filtering mechanisms to IESG for publication  
> as a Proposed Standard
> Done	  	Submission of instant messaging session relay drafts to  
> IESG for publication as Proposed Standards
> Mar 2007	Submission of a performance and scalability analysis of  
> the SIMPLE presence mechanisms to the IESG for publication as  
> Informational
> Jun 2007  	Submission of SIMPLE protocol annotated overview draft  
> to IESG for publication as Informational