Subject: RE: [Simple] IMDN Issue 4: Disposition Notification Types

From: "Burger, Eric" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 12:37:28 -0400

I don't buy the stored state, but I do buy processed.  I again offer
there is no value to the user asking for failure reports.  The only
useful thing to ask the UAS is "tell me the disposition of the message."
That disposition may include "message got to me (UAS) but it I know the
message is going elsewhere, and I haven't gotten to it yet" -
"processed".

That is, I wouldn't build the UI they way you are building it.  That's
my choice.  My way doesn't have the complexities of your way. :-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Hisham Khartabil [mailtMS-TNEF-Correlator: 
From: "Burger, Eric" <[email-masked]>
To: "Hisham Khartabil" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

Go for it.

-----Original Message-----
From: Hisham Khartabil [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 3:28 AM
To: [email-masked]' WG
Subject: [Simple] IMDN Issue 3: Schema vs RelaxNG

I have not started creating the schema yet. I'm thinking of having a go 
at using RelaxNG since the XML document is a simple one and would be a 
good way to get into RelaxNG. Does anyone object?

Regards,
Hisham

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: "Burger, Eric" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 12:37:28 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Hisham Khartabil [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 4:26 AM
To: [email-masked]' WG
Subject: [Simple] IMDN Issue 4: Disposition Notification Types

In the draft, we have 2: delivered and read. There has been suggestions 
to add a least 2 more, namely processed and stored.

Stored is sent by a store-and-forward server to indicate that an IM has 
been stored.
Processed is sent by intermediaries to indicate that the IM has been 
processed (like a 202).

I personally am against those additions.

The sender of the IM is the one that requests any type of IMDN. So, 
through the UI, the user has to answer all the following questions for 
every IM:

- Do I want to know if the IM is delivered
- Do I want to know if the IM has failed
- Do I want to know if the IM is read

and the new states you are asking for:

- Do I want to know if the IM is processed
- Do I want to know if the IM is stored

Of course these can be global settings, but still, too many.

when sending a SIP MESSAGE request, you will get the transactional 
response 202 if the MESSAGE has been processed. I don't see the need 
for IMDN to indicate so. I also don't see why a user would want to know 
if a message is stored or not. In any case, isn't this the same as 
processed?

Hisham

o:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 4:26 AM
To: [email-masked]' WG
Subject: [Simple] IMDN Issue 4: Disposition Notification Types

In the draft, we have 2: delivered and read. There has been suggestions 
to add a least 2 more, namely processed and stored.

Stored is sent by a store-and-forward server to indicate that an IM has 
been stored.
Processed is sent by intermediaries to indicate that the IM has been 
processed (like a 202).

I personally am against those additions.

The sender of the IM is the one that requests any type of IMDN. So, 
through the UI, the user has to answer all the following questions for 
every IM:

- Do I want to know if the IM is delivered
- Do I want to know if the IM has failed
- Do I want to know if the IM is read

and the new states you are asking for:

- Do I want to know if the IM is processed
- Do I want to know if the IM is stored

Of course these can be global settings, but still, too many.

when sending a SIP MESSAGE request, you will get the transactional 
response 202 if the MESSAGE has been processed. I don't see the need 
for IMDN to indicate so. I also don't see why a user would want to know 
if a message is stored or not. In any case, isn't this the same as 
processed?

Hisham

o:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 4:26 AM
To: [email-masked]' WG
Subject: [Simple] IMDN Issue 4: Disposition Notification Types

In the draft, we have 2: delivered and read. There has been suggestions 
to add a least 2 more, namely processed and stored.

Stored is sent by a store-and-forward server to indicate that an IM has 
been stored.
Processed is sent by intermediaries to indicate that the IM has been 
processed (like a 202).

I personally am against those additions.

The sender of the IM is the one that requests any type of IMDN. So, 
through the UI, the user has to answer all the following questions for 
every IM:

- Do I want to know if the IM is delivered
- Do I want to know if the IM has failed
- Do I want to know if the IM is read

and the new states you are asking for:

- Do I want to know if the IM is processed
- Do I want to know if the IM is stored

Of course these can be global settings, but still, too many.

when sending a SIP MESSAGE request, you will get the transactional 
response 202 if the MESSAGE has been processed. I don't see the need 
for IMDN to indicate so. I also don't see why a user would want to know 
if a message is stored or not. In any case, isn't this the same as 
processed?

Hisham