Subject: [Simple] Conflict in draft-ietf-simple-xcap-12

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 13:38:35 +0200

Hello, 

I have a problem with draft-ietf-simple-xcap-12. In my opinion following
parts of the draft are in conflict:

7.11 Conditional operations
...
In another example, a client may wish to insert a new element into a
   document, but wants to be sure that the insertion will only take
   place if that element does not exist.  In other words, the client
   wants the PUT operation to be a creation, not a replacement.  To
   accomplish that, the client can insert the If-None-Match header field
   into the PUT request, with a value of *.  This tells the server to
   reject the request with a 412 if resource exists.
...

8.2.6.  Conditional Processing

   A PUT request for an XCAP resource, like any other HTTP resource, can
   be made conditional through usage of the If-Match and If-None-Match
   header fields.  For a replacement, these are processed as defined in
   [6].  For an insertion of an element or attribute, conditional
   operations are permitted.  The entity tag that is used for the
   procedures in [6] is the one for all of the resources within the same
   document as the parent of the element or attribute being inserted.
   One way to think of this is that, logically speaking, on receipt of
   the PUT request, the XCAP server instantiates the etag for the
   resource referenced by the request, and then applies the processing
   of the request.  Because of this behavior, it is not possible to
   perform a conditional insert on an attribute or element conditioned
   on the operation being an insertion and not a replacement.  In other
   words, a conditional PUT of an element or attribute with an If-None-
   Match: * will always fail.

The former part says that I can use "If-None-Match: *" in PUT request to
ensure creation. The latter says that PUT request with "If-None-Match:
*" always fails.

Could you please comment on this?

Thank you, 

Silvestr Peknik
Software Specialist
TietoEnator Czech s.r.o.

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple