Subject: [Simple] MSRP chat version -06

From: Miguel Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 09:05:27 +0200

Yesterday we submitted version -06 of the MSRP chat draft. It may take a 
few hours/days until it is officially available. In the meantime, you 
can get a copy from:

http://people.nokia.net/~miguel/drafts/draft-niemi-simple-chat-06.txt
http://people.nokia.net/~miguel/drafts/draft-niemi-simple-chat-06.html

This version tries to put a scope on the draft to solve only two issues: 
nicknames and private messaging. We added a bunch of examples as well, 
so hopefully this will increase readability.

Comments, as usually, are welcomed.

/Miguel
-- 
Miguel A. Garcia           tel:+358-50-4804586
Nokia Research Center      Helsinki, Finland

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: "Salvatore Loreto (JO/LMF)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 13:59:46 +0200

Hi,

some comments on the draft:

REQ-9 states that "it must be possible that a participant is only known
by their nick name and not their real identity to the rest of the
conference".
Maybe I din't understand well the mechanism, but because the nickname is
set by NICKNAME MSRP method, even if it is reserved as soon an user
joins the chat room, prior to send any message, there is no way to
prevent the SIP conference event package to send out the real identity
information before the NICKNAME has been set. 
So for me the Req-9 seems not to be fulfilled.

Another comment is about the second last paragraph in the section 6.1.
It seems MUST contain a Proposed-Nickname in anyway, even if in the
Set-Nickname there is a valid nickname.
Can you clarify this point?

thanks a lot
Sal

---

From: Miguel Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 14:46:48 +0200

Sal:

Thanks for your comments. Let's discuss inline.

> So for me the Req-9 seems not to be fulfilled.

There are several issues here:

1) A participant wants to remain anonymous to the rest of the 
participants in the conference. The solution for that is indicated in 
RFC 4575 (Conference Event Package), Section 5.6. To cut a long story 
short: the participant chooses an anonymous From header and an 
appropriate level of anonymity in the Privacy header. With this, the 
focus will not disclose his URI to other participants through the 
conference event package.

2) How to setup a nickname? Using the NICKNAME method. The conference 
server could, afterwards, send an update to the conference event package 
indicating the nickname of this user. Other participants will know this 
user by his nickname, not by his real URI.

So, to me Req-9 is fulfilled.

> Can you clarify this point?

I guess you are pointing a problem with this sentence:

"Set-Nickname header field MUST only be included in a NICKNAME request."

I think the above text is not correct. The Set-Nickname header may 
include one *or more* nickname proposals. So, the 200 OK response needs 
to include another Set-Nickname header that contains the selected 
nickname, otherwise the participant won't know which nickname has been 
chosen by the MSRP switch.

Fortunately the example in Section 9.2, in particular flow F4, seems to 
be correct.

I will fix that text in the next version.

Thanks,

       Miguel