Subject: [Simple] Pres URI

From: Martin Hynar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 12:40:52 +0100

Hello,

I have looked at the syntax of pres uri and one thing surprised me. Let
me cite the ABNF:

   PRES-URI         = "pres:" [ to ] [ headers ]

   to             =  mailbox
   headers        =  "?" header *( "&" header )
   header         =  hname "=" hvalue
   hname          =  *uric
   hvalue         =  *uric

Both "to" and "header" parts are optional, so the resulting Pres URI
might have form "pres:"? Was this some intention or is it just
combinatorial possibility? In addition, I am missing some use case even
for existence of Pres URI, can somebody put some light on this for me?

Thanks much in advance, Martin Hynar

+-------------------------------------+ 
  Martin Hynar 
  Software Specialist

  TietoEnator 
  Czech Software Center 
  Phone: +420 597 459 713 
  Mobile: +420 724 432 817 
  E-mail: [email-masked]

  Vystavni 292/13 
  CZ-709 16 Ostrava

www.tietoenator.com

Please note: The information contained in this message may be legally
privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader
of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any unauthorized use, distribution or copying of this communication
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in
error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and
deleting it from your computer. Thank You.
_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 09:33:49 -0400

We just copied the mailto URI scheme, which works exactly the same way. 
I think the idea there is that if you see a link like mailto: , clicking 
on it just brings up an email and you need to fill in everything.

For pres URI, it makes no sense to omit mailbox when the pres URI is, 
say, in a presence document, but one can imagine something like a web 
page has:

hey, click <a href="pres:">here</a> to subscribe to me!

and that would bring up your IM program's add buddy screen.

Of course, practically speaking, no one AFAIK is using pres URI at the 
moment. RFC 4479 says to set the presentity URI in the document to the 
URI scheme used to obtain the document, which is you are using SIMPLE, 
will be a SIP URI.

-Jonathan R.

Martin Hynar wrote:

> *+-------------------------------------+*
> *  **Martin Hynar*
>   Software Specialist
> 
> *  **TietoEnator*
>   Czech Software Center
>   Phone: +420 597 459 713
>   Mobile: +420 724 432 817
>   E-mail:*_ [email-masked]*
> 
>   Vystavni 292/13
>   CZ-709 16 Ostrava
> 
> *_www.tietoenator.com <file://www.tietoenator.com>_*
> 
> 
> /Please note: The information contained in this message may be legally 
> deleting it from your computer. Thank You./
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com