Subject: [Simple] Content type header for binary files

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 11:51:37 +0800

Hi All,

Can someone please clarify what should be the default Content-Type
header value for transferring binary payloads in MSRP SEND request? 

Thanks in advance,
Reshma

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 23:40:57 -0500

There is not a default content-type header value. If the request  
contains content, the Content-Type header must be present and must  
indicate the MIME media type for the content.

Hope this helps!

Ben.

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 13:19:24 +0800

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the reply. 

I have one more query. If we want to support all file types dynamically,
and say want to send a file for which the MIME media type is not known,
what is the default Content-Type header value that needs to go. Can we
make use of 
"application/octet-stream" as the MIME media type for such binary files.

Best Regards,
Reshma

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Campbell [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2007 10:11 AM
To: Prabhakar Reshma (IFIN SW WS IMS)
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Simple] Content type header for binary files
Importance: High

Hope this helps!

Ben.

---

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 00:49:57 -0500

> "application/octet-stream" as the MIME media type for such binary  

I don't see why not, as it's a valid type for when you don't know  
anything except that it's binary data. I would avoid that unless all  
attempts at inferring more about the content have been exhausted,  
though.