Subject: [Simple] Why LDAP...

From: sreekanth <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 11:06:51 +0530

Hi,

Why LDAP or ACAP cannot be used instead of XCAP??

-The following is from the XCAP presentation prepared by Rosenberg..
LDAP, ACAP, SNMP, relational DB cover related spaces, none successfully deployed to broad end client bases 

Can anyone clarify on this???

Rgds,
Sreekanth
This e-mail and attachments contain confidential information from HUAWEI, which is intended only for the person or entity whose address is listed above. Any use of the information contained herein in any way (including, but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction, or dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient's) is prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by phone or email immediately and delete it!

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Dave Cridland <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 17:00:56 +0100

> Why LDAP or ACAP cannot be used instead of XCAP??
LDAP lacks some details of a configuration protocol that are thought 
to be, or were thought to be, useful. In particular:

1) It is geared toward data strongly bound to a schema, thought to be 
bad because clients generally have unique features, which in turn 
require schema support and maintenance.

2) It lacks "push" of change data, thought to be important to reduce 
the change lag of long-running clients (such as messaging clients and 
VOIP applications).

3) It lacks the more useful horizontal attribute inheritance, 
providing only vertical attribute inheritance (which in itself is 
little used, partly because it's not used as a configuration 
service). This is thought to be useful for site-wide configuration 
defaults.

ACAP does provide these (and misses out several key features of a 
directory, too - it's not that ACAP is better than LDAP, it's just 
better suited for this purpose).

XCAP doesn't provide any of them directly either, but instead 
supplies (2) by integrating the service with SIP, thus really 
providing a configuration bootstrap, rather than a full service. 
Apparently, though, XCAP is still thought to be suitable for use as a 
configuration service.

> LDAP, ACAP, SNMP, relational DB cover related spaces, none 
> successfully deployed to broad end client bases 
> 
ACAP has seen comparitively low deployment, although multiple clients 
and servers do actually exist, and are used in production 
deployments. LDAP, SNMP, and relational databases have all seen very 
high deployment, but are not as well suited to configuration and 
roaming data storage. Some deployment exists of LDAP as an 
internet-accessible roaming data/configuration protocol, whereas 
RDBMs are often used for site-wide configuration and data roaming.

While deployment levels of any of these are undoubtedly low compared 
to the levels of deployment of the protocols they support, it's 
certainly not true that they're zero, nor that the existing 
deployments are unsuccessful.

> Can anyone clarify on this???

I can't speak for Rosenberg, and of course any debate is pointless 
now, but I hope I've shed some light on this.

Dave.
-- 
Dave Cridland - mailto:[email-masked] - xmpp:[email-masked]
  - acap://acap.dave.cridland.net/byowner/user/dwd/bookmarks/
  - http://dave.cridland.net/
Infotrope Polymer - ACAP, IMAP, ESMTP, and Lemonade