Subject: [Simple] Binary XML format for Presence Information

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 16:51:27 +0530

Hi All,
 
  Problem: The Presence information for the presentity is too large if
represented in XML textual format. For the low bandwidth networks, it
would be better if we reduce the network bandwidth requirements for
presence information state change exchange.
 
 Current solutions: The current solution is uploading presence
information to HTTP content server and its HTTP URI is sent to the
watcher for the state information. In this case, user got to use another
protocol to download the content. Though different mechanism, the
network bandwidth requirement is same. This mechanism doesn't solve the
actual problem of reducing the bandwidth requirement.
 
  Proposed Solution: Coming up with binary format for representing the
presence information. Associating each of PIDF XML tag with a binary
code and using this mechanism to convey the presence information(state
change).
 
This is inspired from "DRM Rights in binary format
application/vnd.oma.drm.rights+wbxml
(http://www.openmobilealliance.org/release_program/docs/DRM/V1_0-2004062
5-A/OMA-Download-DRMREL-V1_0-20040615-A.pdf)".
 
Regards
Ajay Kumar Kasam
+919986016520
_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Dave Cridland <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 12:34:28 +0100

> Hi All,

Is Binary XML better than using a stateful general compression codec 
over a long-running connection?

The latter is, to some degree, provided by using TLS-based 
compression and HTTP persistent connections, although coverage is 
devices is low to non-existent. I'd be surprised if use of 
Binary-tokenized XML outperformed this.

Dave.
-- 
Dave Cridland - mailto:[email-masked] - xmpp:[email-masked]
  - acap://acap.dave.cridland.net/byowner/user/dwd/bookmarks/
  - http://dave.cridland.net/
Infotrope Polymer - ACAP, IMAP, ESMTP, and Lemonade

---

From: Gustavo García <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 14:07:09 +0200

Do you know this draft?

<http://tools.ietf.org/wg/simple/draft-garcia-simple-presence-dictionary-05.
txt>
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/simple/draft-garcia-simple-presence-dictionary-05.t
xt

I think it addresses the same problem you are trying to solve, but using the
standard SigComp framework (RFC3320).

BR,

G.

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: jueves, 28 de junio de 2007 13:21
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Simple] Binary XML format for Presence Information

Hi All,

  Problem: The Presence information for the presentity is too large if
represented in XML textual format. For the low bandwidth networks, it would
be better if we reduce the network bandwidth requirements for presence
information state change exchange.

 Current solutions: The current solution is uploading presence information
to HTTP content server and its HTTP URI is sent to the watcher for the state
information. In this case, user got to use another protocol to download the
content. Though different mechanism, the network bandwidth requirement is
same. This mechanism doesn't solve the actual problem of reducing the
bandwidth requirement.

  Proposed Solution: Coming up with binary format for representing the
presence information. Associating each of PIDF XML tag with a binary code
and using this mechanism to convey the presence information(state change).

This is inspired from "DRM Rights in binary format
application/vnd.oma.drm.rights+wbxml
(http://www.openmobilealliance.org/release_program/docs/DRM/V1_0-20040625-A/
OMA-Download-DRMREL-V1_0-20040615-A.pdf)".

Regards

Ajay Kumar Kasam

+919986016520

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 09:14:08 -0400

what is wrong with sigcomp?

[email-masked] wrote:
> Hi All,
>  
>   *Problem:* The Presence information for the presentity is too large if 
>  *Current solutions*: The current solution is uploading presence 
>   *Proposed Solution*: Coming up with binary format for representing the 
> This is inspired from "DRM Rights in binary 
> format application/vnd.oma.drm.rights+wbxml 
> (http://www.openmobilealliance.org/release_program/docs/DRM/V1_0-20040625-A/OMA-Download-DRMREL-V1_0-20040615-A.pdf)".
>  
> Regards
> Ajay Kumar Kasam
> +919986016520
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>