Subject: [Simple] Comments on draft-roy-simple-presencerss-00

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 15:52:52 +0900

As I see it, there are two things to work out.  The first is rather easy and
straightforward: determine the format and ontology of the RSS feed.  The
second is a bit harder: how do we handle the data access entitlements?  We
have a rich set of policy enforcement at the SIP SUBSCRIBE level.  Would we
try to replicate that at the RSS level, use RSS equivalents, or punt and say
that a different access protocol results in a different policy enforcement
regime?  I would offer that would open up a bunch of security
considerations.  None the least would be a stricture to enforce the user's
data access policy across all access modalities.

Some comments on the introduction:
There is a fundamental misconception that percolates through in a few places
dealing with information sharing between two providers participating in a
mash-up.

For example:
      ...  if provider 'B' were build a new application on top
      of a service provided by 'A', B would only access content from A
      using well known Web Standards and would not need to host A's
      content in its own domain. Similarly, A does not need to access
      any more data in B's domain beyond what is needed to make the
      service work.

A key feature of Mash-Ups is Domain A has *NO* need to access ANY data in
Domain B to provide the service.  Of course, the caveat is Domain A may
require authentication and authorization of the users of Domain A's web
service.  However, that still imposes no burden on Domain A to access Domain
B to provide a service to Domain B.  Having such interdependencies means
that in order to create a Mash-Up, you would have to somehow educate the
component providers about your service.  This is a combinatorial and
economically infeasible situation.

I would also offer that one not get hung up on being browser-centric.  Lots
of interesting applications may use Web Portal technologies, but do not have
actual browser-based displays.

I also would not focus exclusively on "Provider Generated" mash-ups.  The
whole point of Web 2.0 are user-generated applications!

Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by email and then delete it.

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple