Subject: [Simple] [MSRP chat] Issue 10: Policies in the MSRP mixer

From: Miguel Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 17:05:10 +0300

Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:
 >> A policy in the
 >>    MSRP mixer determines whether avoidance of collisions between
 >>    nicknames and regular Addresses of Record is enforced.
 >
 > Practically speaking this is impossible to do. This is why I suggest
 > formal structure around the user part of the URI to guarantee this.

I see your point. So this is the reason for your suggestion of adding
an "msrp-nickname" string to the user part of the URI. I want to hear
if the "user=nickname" parameter is acceptable, which I believe is a
bit more elegant.

 >
 >> A policy in the conference
 >>    server determines whether a user who is participating in the
 >>    conference from various UAs is allowed to use the same nickname
 >>    across those UAs.
 >
 > This requires knowledge of this alias relationship which may be hard or
 > impossible to know. Why is this needed?

Because I may want to attend a chat room from different devices
simultaneously. I think I am still a single user, so, other
participants shouldn't need to know which device I am using. And they
should be able to send me private messages to both devices
simultaneously, if this is my wish.

This requires a policy in the server to allow it. I think it is
feasible, at the end of the day, both the focus and the MSRP mixer
already know the SIP AOR relation to nicknames.

/Miguel

-- 
Miguel A. Garcia           tel:+358-50-4804586
Nokia Siemens Networks     Espoo, Finland

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 10:37:21 -0400

In common usage the collisions probably won't happen. And in any case, 
why is it important to avoid collisions?

Two "participants" can legitimately have the same nickname if the same 
user connects twice. I don't see that it presents any further issues if 
one user uses the URI as a From-URI for session establishment and 
another uses it as a nickname. In either case a targeted message may 
need to go to multiple participants. So what?

	Paul