Subject: [Simple] [MSRP chat] Issue 3: capability negotiation

From: Miguel Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 13:36:21 +0300

Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:
 > The draft worries about MSRP chatrooms negotiating the capability for
 > private and sidebar functions. Wouldn't it be easier to require all
 > MSRP mixers to support this functionality? Then you only need to worry
 > about conference-unaware participants.

This comes from the idea that not all MSRP mixers would implement
this document: one can easily build an MSRP mixer today that merely
forwards messages from one participant to the rest. If the UA does not 
learn whether private messages are implemented, the risk is that the 
MSRP mixer does not implement these functions; a user could send a 
private message that would be distributed to all the participants.

Also, as a side effect, the capability negotiation provides an 
indication of functions (nicknames, private messaging), which are 
enabled (by policy).

Honestly, I feel more comfortable if we don't assume anything and let 
the UA learn the features that are implemented.

/Miguel

-- 
Miguel A. Garcia           tel:+358-50-4804586
Nokia Siemens Networks     Espoo, Finland

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple