Subject: [Simple] assignment of nicknames in niemi-simple-chat

From: "Jeroen van Bemmel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 01:49:35 +0200

Aki,

Regarding the selection / assignment of nicknames:

1) Wouldn't it make sense to start with an initial nickname proposed as part 
of the SDP? similar to codec negotiation. The server could propose an 
alternative if the desired nickname is already taken. The common scenario 
would probably be that the desired nickname is obtained

Say:

a=nickname:alice;display="Alice"

and if it's already used, the server could answer

a=nickname: alice_1

2) Referring to my earlier mail, if we split the definition of "nickname" as 
"identifier" (alice) and "scope" ( [email-masked] ), the user 
has no choice in selecting a scope (it's always a particular chat session 
(active) at a specific server). Therefore there's lots of redundant 
information in the example in 9.2.

Suggestion:

MSRP d93kswow NICKNAME
   To-Path: msrp://chat.example.com:12763/kjhd37s2s20w2a;tcp
   From-Path: msrp://client.atlanta.example.com:7654/jshA7weztas;tcp
   Set-Nickname: "Alice" alice -------d93kswow$The above also does not tie 
things to "sip:", and does not depend on the UA knowing the structure of 
URIs used by the server (better not to have a dependency)Regards,Jeroen 
_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: "Jeroen van Bemmel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 02:06:16 +0200

In fact, it would probably be better to let the server assign the complete 
URI, and only allow users to select / change their displayname.
And you could perhaps reuse the "i=" attribute for this purpose ( RFC4566: 
The "i=" field is intended to provide a free-form human-readable description 
of the session or the purpose of a media stream.  It is not suitable for 
parsing by automata.)

So:
m=message 7654 TCP/MSRP *
i=Alice
a=accept-types:message/cpim text/plain text/html
a=path:msrp://client.atlanta.example.com:7654/jshA7weztas;tcp
a=chatroom:private-messages

Set-Nickname would then simply become:

Set-Nickname: "Alice"

or perhaps this could be done using UPDATE or reINVITE, without a need for 
MSRP messages

Regards,
Jeroen

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Jeroen van Bemmel
  To: Aki Niemi
  Cc: [email-masked]
  Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2007 1:49 AM
  Subject: [Simple] assignment of nicknames in niemi-simple-chat

  Aki,

  1) Wouldn't it make sense to start with an initial nickname proposed as 
part of the SDP? similar to codec negotiation. The server could propose an 
alternative if the desired nickname is already taken. The common scenario 
would probably be that the desired nickname is obtained

  Say:

  a=nickname: alice_1

  2) Referring to my earlier mail, if we split the definition of "nickname" 
as "identifier" (alice) and "scope" ( [email-masked] ), the user 
has no choice in selecting a scope (it's always a particular chat session 
(active) at a specific server). Therefore there's lots of redundant 
information in the example in 9.2.

  Suggestion:

MSRP d93kswow NICKNAME

------------------------------------------------------------------------------