Subject: [Simple] [MSRP chat] Conference scoped Nicknames

From: Miguel Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 11:00:08 +0300

Hi:

Having trying to follow the discussion about nicknames, I have the 
feeling that we are going in circles, and this makes me think that we 
are making a wrong assumption or we have a wrong requirement here.

Let me be frank. All the complexity of nicknames is not in the encoding 
part, but it is in the requirement to make it work with generalized 
nicknames that can be issued by any service provider. Assuming you have 
a service provider that allows you to choose your SIP URI, I don't see 
much difference between requesting a new SIP URI or requesting a general 
nickname. I think we are mixing both.

I would like to remind people what is our approved charter:

     4. A mechanism for initiating and managing Instant Message group chat.

    Any mechanisms created for managing Instant Message group chat are
intended to provide a bridge to the conferencing protocols that will
be defined in XCON. They will be limited in scope to address only
simple Instant Message chat with nicknames and will not attempt
to address complex conferencing concepts such as sidebars. Their
design must anticipate operating in conjunction with the conferencing
protocols XCON is working towards.

I therefore propose to reduce our scope to provide a solution that works 
with nicknames that are issued and consumed by the chat room server 
only. Furthermore, I propose that we take the assumption that chat room 
servers have a limitation in that they can only accept nicknames which 
are used by the chat room server itself. This does not preclude any work 
on generalized nicknames, rather, we say that they are not applicable to 
chat rooms.

I would encourage people to think this as a compromise that does not 
limit our mobility for generalized nicknames, but makes a deployable 
solution today for MSRP chat. Can we, for the the nth time, try to agree 
on this limitation and re-instantiate the discussion restricted to MSRP 
chat nicknames?

/Miguel

-- 
Miguel A. Garcia           tel:+358-50-4804586
Nokia Siemens Networks     Espoo, Finland

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple