Subject: [Simple] MSRP NAT traversal (again)

From: Rémi Denis-Courmont <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 10:18:42 +0200

Hello,

We gave TCP simultaneous open a quick try with off-the-shelf NAT boxes, and it 
did not quite seem to make it. Well, it did work sometimes, but the success 
rate was around 20% (of course, we'd need a much larger test base, so don't 
take the number as granted). As such, I am not so sure if MSRP-ICE will bring 
much. draft-niemi-simple-msrp-ice is indeed expired.

In the mean time, we've been considering adding baseline COMEDIA to MSRP, so 
we can at least get reliable MSRP connection establishment when the inviting 
party is not NATted (e.g. a chat server inviting a possible NATted user), 
without the requirement for a dedicated relay.

The document is there:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/drafts/draft-denis-simple-msrp-comedia/

In principle, we could also have both MSRP-COMEDIA and MSRP-ICE, with the 
latter an extension to the former, if it is deemed valuable.

Comments welcome,

[CC'ing Christer as he raised a related issue a while ago]

-- 
Rémi Denis-Courmont

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple