Subject: Re: [Simple] New draft on music, video, game, web status

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 16:33:07 -0500

I think this is a good draft, and a valuable thing to do. I'd like to 
see it move forward. Its also one of those things that, I would hope, 
does not require extensive scrutiny (especially given it builds on XMPP 
work already done), we can just move it along without spending a ton of 
time micro-tuning it.

My only comment is that, on the topic of showing what website users are 
looking at, that this might be used for shared web browsing. I do not 
believe it will work for that, because cookies and other things would 
cause both users to actually see different content. So I'd suggest 
removing that sentence.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

Henning Schulzrinne wrote:
> I just submitted
> 
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-schulzrinne-simple-ami-00.txt
> 
> It's a blatant rip-off of the functionality found in XMPP, for 
> indicating the music, video and games that the presentity is enjoying 
> (one hopes) and the web pages he or she is browsing, with a few minor 
> extensions. Given Twitter and Facebook, there's clearly a demonstrated 
> need for this type of functionality. Almost all modern IM clients, such 
> as AIM and iChat, support at least the what-am-I-listening-to 
> functionality.
> 
> The draft was motivated by earlier work, draft-zhao-simple-aipid-00, and 
> replaces it.
> 
> Before I fill in items such as the schema and examples, I'd appreciate 
> comments on whether this is perceived to be on the right track.
> 
> Henning
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Simple mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple
> 

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   499 Thornall St.
Cisco Fellow                                   Edison, NJ 08837
Cisco, Voice Technology Group
[email-masked]
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (408) 902-3084
http://www.cisco.com

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 11:36:06 -0500

The major unresolved issue for the draft (*) is whether to make this  
an event package or a PIDF extension. My inclination is to use an  
event package, following the example of the very vaguely related draft  
draft-garcia-sipping-file-event-package-01 (A Session Initiation  
Protocol (SIP) Event Package and Data Format for Describing Files).  
I'd appreciate input on this question.

Henning

(*) http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-schulzrinne-simple-ami-00.txt