Subject: [Simple] other parameters around gaming for the AMI document

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 13:44:44 -0500

A few suggestions for additional parameters that would be useful for 
games in draft-schulzrinne-simple-ami, specifically MMOs (massively 
multiplayer online games):

guild: string, indicating the guild or clan or equivalent of the user

location: string, name of the realm or zone that the character is in 
(i.e., Stormwind)

coordinates: in-game coordinates for the location

grouped: boolean, whether the character is currently in a group

instanced: boolean, whether the character is currently in an instanced 
area (i.e., Sunken Temple)

lfg: looking-for-group - whether the character is seeking a group. 
contains a list of strings with quests or instances that the user is 
looking to find a group for

class: string, the class of the character (i.e., druid, priest, warrior)

race: string, race of the character (i.e., night elf, gnome)

faction: "side" or faction for the character (i.e., alliance vs. horde)

idle: int, amount of time the character has been idle

dead: boolean, whether the character is dead or not

I can think of a bunch more too. This does start to raise the question 
about whether this is presence or another package. One can imagine 
having a minimal amount of information in presence, and having more for 
a specific event package for gamers. So for example the gaming package 
would be implemented perhaps in clients like steam, xfire or xbox live. 
Now whether any of those possible clients CARE about a standard in this 
area - well thats a good question.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   499 Thornall St.
Cisco Fellow                                   Edison, NJ 08837
Cisco, Voice Technology Group
[email-masked]
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (408) 902-3084
http://www.cisco.com

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: "Thomson, Martin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 15:50:13 -0600

Someone is playing too much WoW ;)  There's a rathole here, but I'd suggest that some of those (race, class) presuppose too much about the particular game design.  Obviously, as optional elements they don't hurt.

A few more for music that I'm surprised don't exist in the XMPP format.

Disc (for albums this is easy, but a more generic name might be appropriate for other audio like podcasts - to use a dead-tree analogy you could use "volume" instead if you consider a "track" as a chapter, but unfortunately that implies something else when talking about audio)
Year (or release date)
Album Artist (for collections, or where individual tracks have specific collaborators)
Publisher
Rating (itunes, winamp use a 1..5 star system, but 1..10 would allow for half stars)

It occurs that audio and video share many components.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jonathan Rosenberg [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, 7 December 2007 5:45 AM
> To: Simple WG
> Subject: [Simple] other parameters around gaming for the AMI document
> 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is for the designated recipient only and may
contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information.  
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender
immediately and delete the original.  Any unauthorized use of
this email is prohibited.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[mf2]
_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: "Hisham Khartabil" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 14:12:33 +1100

> location: string, name of the realm or zone that the character is in

You mean "e.g" :)

---

From: "Hisham Khartabil" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 14:18:01 +1100

I'm not a game player so I have a silly questions: Are these generic
parameters for all games? or are they specific to a certain game?

This list have the potential to grow for ever if we are to cover all
games. I would propose that what is in Henning's draft now will
suffice for presence and someone needs to look into a separate gaming
draft for a fully fledged game info (as Jonathan suggests).

Hisham

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 21:16:10 -0500

The list I provided is motivated by World of Warcraft, but much of it 
would be applicable to other games in the same class, notably MMORPGs 
(Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games).

I agree I think there is a split here with some basic stuff in presence, 
and a separate event package with lots of game details. I think that, 
what should be in presence, is enough to know what game they are playing 
so one can join and then know enough to subscribe to the game event package.

-Jonathan R.

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 15:51:47 -0700

> so one can join and then know enough to subscribe to the game event

Yes, that was our idea in the XMPP community -- provide just enough
information so that others can ping you about the game or look you up in
the game to find out details.

Peter

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 15:57:18 -0700

> Disc (for albums this is easy, but a more generic name might be appropriate for other audio like podcasts - to use a dead-tree analogy you could use "volume" instead if you consider a "track" as a…

In the XMPP format that is the <source/> element.

> Album Artist (for collections, or where individual tracks have specific collaborators)

I think you should be able to find all that information at the URI about
the track. Why include all that metadata in presence?

> Rating (itunes, winamp use a 1..5 star system, but 1..10 would allow for half stars)

This one is more interesting, thanks for the suggestion.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/