Subject: [Simple] Minutes: SIMPLE at IETF70

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 15:06:14 -0800

Please send comments/corrections as soon as possible:

MINUTES - SIMPLE - IETF70
Wednesday Dec 5 2007 1510-1610

Summary:

* Geir Arne Sandbakken has taken the editor role on the -simple-chat  
draft. The group plans to either come to consensus on a general  
mechanism for nicknames within the next month or move forward with  
the chat-specific mechanism in the draft.

* The interdomain scaling analysis document will be WGLCed in early  
January.

* There was significant interest in the view sharing draft. The  
chairs will work with the ADs to determine how best to charter  
completing work on it.

* There was interest in seeing the intradomain draft completed and  
published as an informational document. As above, the chairs will  
work with the ADs to deterime how best to charter this work.

* There was interest shown in the AMI document. Those interested  
should help Henning with a revision.

Raw notes follow:
------------------------------

Notes on SIMPLE at IETF 70
Reported by Dean Willis
Chairs, Robert Sparks, Hisham Khartabil

"Note Well" presented

Topic: Agenda Bash / Status
by Chairs
slides presented

Agenda accepted as presented.

Issue: Status

Noted that prescaps-ext has an issue that needs to be considered by  
group. This is essentially a presence-able XML encoding of RFC  
3840/3841 preferences and capabilities. This may have privacy  
implications, like revealing the kind of phone. Do we care? This  
probably needs to be reflected in the security considerations section  
of the draft.

Issue:  draft-ietf-simple-chat-00

MSRP-based chat solution that is future-compatible with XCON.  
Nicknames have been a contentious issue that is now at an impasse.

Mary noted that this is a general problem and XCON needs an answer.  
Miguel answers that the simple-chat solution  was intended to be a  
tightly constrained subset.

Poll: Who wants this? OMA appears to still have a dependency. Several  
people are planning implementations.

Hisham doesn't want this tied to XCON. Adam continued this  
explanation, reinforcing its separation from XCON.

Problem restated as "how to inform the conference server of the  
nickname that will be exposed to other users?".  So the issue is that  
the current draft only works for IM chat and not for XCON.

Geir Arne Sandbakken has volunteered to coordinate a resolution of  
the problem.

Poll: Can we agree to move forward with a non-general mechanism if we  
can't come to closure on a more general one in the next month? That  
is, we will adopt the existing mechanism if we don't find something  
better.

Topic: Interdomain Scaling Analysis
Led by Avshalom Houri
slides presented.

Slide: What Can Be Done

Henning raises issues about changing the model, which conveys a lot  
of useless information, needs to be changed in order to impact the  
order of the scaling problem.

Henry asks if p2p would reduce the problem?  Some debate ensued on  
whether the problem is the total bandwidth or the central server load.

Discussion: What next?

Poll: Ready for WGLC? No objections were noted. Chair proposed a  
January WGLC.

Topic: View Sharing
Led by Jonathan Rosenberg
slides presented

Question: Interest in pursuing this?

Several speakers expressed interest.

Noted that there is a configured relationship between domains here.

Discussion seems generally favorable.

Chairs and authors will discuss and review the requirements and  
referring to SIP.

Poll: If you will participate in talking about this draft wherever it  
lands, please hum . . (much support shown).

Topic: AMI Extensions to PDF
Led by henning Schulzrinne
Slides presented

Discussion: Several speakers in favor. Possible issue that list of  
games is inadequate.

Poll: Who read interdomain draft that JDR submitted? Several: Who  
would review ow? A few. Chair will take proposal to list for WG  
finalization.

Poll: Who read view-sharing draft? Many. Conclusion: Plan to take on  
as WG item.

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple