Subject: [Simple] TCP connection reuse query

From: "Achint Aggarwal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 10:44:19 +0530

Hi,

RFC 4976 Section 3 says:

"For client-to-client communication, the sender of a message typically
   opens a new TCP connection (with or without TLS) if one is needed.
   Relays reuse existing connections first, but can open new connections
   (typically to other relays) to deliver requests such as SEND or
   REPORT."

Consider a scenario where an MSRP client establishes an MSRP session and
client's relay opens a connection with its next hop to route the MSRP
packets coming to it from the client.

Now if the same client wants to start another session then how can the
same relay reuse the same connection opened earlier for this new
session??

Regards

Achint Aggarwal

---

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 23:37:05 -0600

On Feb 28, 2011, at 11:14 PM, Achint Aggarwal wrote:

> Hi,
>  
> RFC 4976 Section 3 says:
> “For client-to-client communication, the sender of a message typically
>    REPORT.”
> Consider a scenario where an MSRP client establishes an MSRP session and client’s relay opens a connection with its next hop to route the MSRP packets coming to it from the client.
> Now if the same client wants to start another session then how can the same relay reuse the same connection opened earlier for this new session??

The general idea is, If the relay receives a SEND request where the next hop URI in the To-Path field resolves to an address and port to which the relay already has a TCP connection, it sends the forwards the request over that connection.

Of course, it only works if the next hop is the same for both sessions.

Ben.