Subject: [Simple] nickname length

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 14:30:24 -0600

Are there any limits on the length of a nickname in
draft-ietf-simple-chat? I don't see any, nor do I see any on
quoted-string in RFC 4975. In draft-ietf-precis-nickname, I have a
limit of 1023 bytes, which comes from RFC 6122 and is probably longer
than most people will ever use. I received one comment that the
nickname spec is the wrong place to be imposing such limits, and that
makes sense (XMPP can impose one limit and MSRP can impose another
limit, etc.). But I figured it would be good to check here before
making a change to draft-ietf-precis-nickname on this point.

Thanks!

Peter

- -- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 21:18:27 -0600

The more I think about this, the more I realize that nickname length
is best left up to protocol specifications for MSRP and XMPP, not the
nickname spec itself. Unless there are objections, I plan to remove
the relevant paragraph from draft-ietf-precis-nickname.

On 9/21/12 2:30 PM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> limit of 1023 bytes, which comes from RFC 6122 and is probably
> longer than most people will ever use. I received one comment that
> the nickname spec is the wrong place to be imposing such limits,
> and that makes sense (XMPP can impose one limit and MSRP can impose
> another limit, etc.). But I figured it would be good to check here
> before making a change to draft-ietf-precis-nickname on this
> point.
> 
> Thanks!
> 
> Peter
>