Subject: Re: Prioritization limitation question

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 16:33:55 -0500 (EST)

> The first problem is that there is no way I know of in RSVP for one
> reservation to preempt another, and for notification of preemption to be
> delivered 

at least the 1st part is in COPS

Scott

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2000 11:03:58 -0500

It should also be noted that the issue of session-level preemption for a
pure IP environment may be less of an issue than in the PSTN, since a
multiple call presences, with full information about who's calling,
priority, etc., are easily handled.

Whether, from a user-interface point of view, it would be nice to have
localized versions of call priority, so that a military officer, say,
would see call priorities in familiar renditions, is a separate issue
(see my earlier email). The question is whether this should be done
explicitly, as in

ANSI-Priority: Flash-Override

or as extensions to the Priority header. The former is probably cleaner,
as it is unlikely that the two ranking systems are to be mixed within
the same environment.