Subject: RE: General question on SIP used b/w MGCs

From: "Mark Gibson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 15:25:19 -0000

I'm saying, if the MGC uses
	SIP, you get to reuse your existing proxy servers, since they
already
	provide routing, 

	I had understood you to say in the past that a SIP server, and
therefore a SIP proxy, used a signalling path that is independent of the
media path. I am therefore eager to learn how a proxy provides routing as,
as you're doubtless already aware, I have a real interest in this problem.
Or is it SIP message routing that you're referring to here?

	scaling, inter-provider access, multi-hop, etc., but
	you get end to end ISUP transparency as well.

	-Jonathan R.

	I'd appreciate a clarification. 

	Mark

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2000 10:46:29 -0500

> Mark Gibson wrote:
>      therefore a SIP proxy, used a signalling path that is independent
>      of the media path. I am therefore eager to learn how a proxy
>      provides routing as, as you're doubtless already aware, I have a
>      real interest in this problem. Or is it SIP message routing that
>      you're referring to here?

Yes, it is SIP message routing - issues like telephone number routing
are the things the proxy worries about. IP packet routing is already
taken care of for us ;)

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       200 Executive Drive
Chief Scientist                             Suite 120 
dynamicsoft                                 West Orange, NJ 07052
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com