Subject: Retransmissions behaviour on 1xx response

From: Sunitha Kumar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2000 16:48:42 -0600

Hi:

It is given in the SIP spec, that retrans for INVITE stops when either a
definitive or provisioan response is received.  My question is on
provisional response. If the caller gets a 100 Trying response,, which
is essentially that the user has not yet been contacted, should the
retrans. stop?

Thanks.

--
Sunitha Kumar

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2000 17:28:44 -0500

Yes. Since request reliability is hop by hop, the next hop will
retransmit the request to achieve end to end reliability. A UA should
stop retransmitting an INVITE when it receives any response to it.

-Jonathan R.

Sunitha Kumar wrote:
> 
> Hi:
> 
> It is given in the SIP spec, that retrans for INVITE stops when either
> a definitive or provisioan response is received.  My question is on

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       200 Executive Drive
Chief Scientist                             Suite 120 
dynamicsoft                                 West Orange, NJ 07052
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com