Subject: Gateways and registration

From: Linden deCarmo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 17:45:15 -0500

The SIP specification does not require that gateways register with a SIP
server.  Thus, the server is never notified if the gateway goes offline.  By
contrast, protocols such as H.323 have a different concept for Registration
and a server can detect when a gateway goes down or offline if registration
expires.

Is there some way to provide equivalent functionality in SIP?  If not, is
the concept of gateway registration under consideration for a future draft
of the spec?

Thanks.

Linden deCarmo
Netspeak Corporation
902 Clint Moore Road
Suite 104
Boca Raton, FL 33487

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 18:21:19 -0500

This function doesn't belong in the realm of SIP, IMHO. Rather, it is
within the realm of TRIP, which supports learning of when a gateway goes
offline.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       200 Executive Drive
Chief Scientist                             Suite 120 
dynamicsoft                                 West Orange, NJ 07052
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com