Subject: QoS

From: "Gazal, Elly" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 19:13:33 +0200

Does someone have information regarding recommendations or future intentions
to improve QoS on a SIP network?

Elly Gazal
System Engineer

Signaling R&D Group
Comverse Network Systems Ltd.

Tel:  972-3-6458994
Fax: 972-3-6458915
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 12:29:57 -0500

A "SIP Network" does not provide QoS for media traffic. IP networks
provide QoS for media traffic. They use tools such as diffserv, RSVP,
and mpls to accomplish this. Several people have looked at ways in which
standard QoS mechanisms can be integrated cleanly into services signaled
with SIP. Take a look at:

http://www.softarmor.com/sipwg/drafts/draft-dcsgroup-sip-resource-00.txt
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/sip/drafts/draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-qos-00.txt
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/sip/drafts/draft-sinnreich-interdomain-sip-qos-osp-00.txt

Work is currently underway to merge the first two drafts.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       200 Executive Drive
Chief Scientist                             Suite 120 
dynamicsoft                                 West Orange, NJ 07052
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---

From: Emmanuel Bertrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 18:29:58 +0100

Elly,

You could start with a look at the following documents:

"Interdomain IP Communications with QoS, Authorization and Usage Reporting",  H.
Sinnreich, S. Donovan, D. Rawlins, S. Thomas. October 1999
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/sip/drafts/draft-sinnreich-interdomain-sip-qos-osp-00.txt

"Use of SIP for the Reservation of QoS guaranteed Paths",  M. Gibson and J.
Crowcroft. October 1999.
 http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/sip/drafts/draft-gibson-sip-qos-resv-00.txt

"Establishing QoS and Security Preconditions for SDP Sessions", J. Rosenberg, H.
Schulzrinne, S. Donovan
 http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/sip/drafts/draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-qos-00.txt

"DIAMETER: Policy and Accounting Extension for SIP", Ping Pan, Henning
Schulzrinne and Pat Calhoun
 http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/sip/drafts/draft-pan-diameter-sip-01.txt

Manu

--
Emmanuel Bertrand
mailto:[email-masked]
http://www.indigo-software.com