Subject: server features

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 01:27:09 -0500

Folks,

This draft represents the summary of what I understood as consensus
during the last IETF meeting. Although we had discussed the possibility
of adding this stuff directly into the draft version of SIP, I think it
should be a standalone RFC, for the following reasons:

1. we should avoid adding new features into SIP, but rather in
extensions
2. we need this before SIP will be draft standard

This is a small but very important extension to SIP. Provisional
reliability and other up and coming extensions need this. 

So, I am issuing an "extended" working group last call on this, which
will last three weeks, starting today, and ending on Feb. 11.  I'm
making it extended since although we have agreed on this, there are some
small open issues that must be resolved quickly, and people  have not
seen a draft per se on this subject. However, I am doing this as a last
call to expedite the process, and because we have already agreed to it
at the last meeting. There will be another rev of this document to
address the open issues described. Please comment on these asap.

-Jonathan R.

 Subject: 
        I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sip-serverfeatures-00.txt
   Date: 
        Thu, 20 Jan 2000 06:58:57 -0500
   From: 
        [email-masked]
     To: 
        IETF-Announce:;
    CC: 
        [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Session Initiation Protocol Working
Group of the
IETF.

        Title           : Mandating SIP Extension Support by Servers
        Author(s)       : J. Rosenberg, H. Schulzrinne
        Filename        : draft-ietf-sip-serverfeatures-00.txt
        Pages           : 9
        Date            : 19-Jan-00
        
The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) defines mechanims that allow a
client to mandate that a server support specific extensions in order
to process a request. However, there is currently no way for a server
to ask for, and a client to indicate, what features a server might
use in a response. This capability is needed for numerous extensions
currently under development, such as provisional response reliability
and the session progress message. This document defines a SIP
extension that allows servers to mandate that clients understand
certain features in order to process a response.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-serverfeatures-00.txt

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       200 Executive Drive
Chief Scientist                             Suite 120 
dynamicsoft                                 West Orange, NJ 07052
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com