Subject: Re:

From: Rajan Pillai <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 01:38:01 -0800 (PST)

could u please clarify my doubt regarding stateful
proxies that have been mentioned in the RFCs ..it says
that stateful proxies make a comparison of the tuple
with the existing records and if it exists, it is
recoginsed as a retransmission. However, it forwards
the same tuple, just as a stateless proxy. How is a
stateless proxy different from a stateful proxy.
thanx
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.
http://im.yahoo.com

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 10:16:09 -0500

> stateless proxy different from a stateful proxy.

Tuples aren't forwarded. Messages are forwarded. A stateful
proxy recognizes the request as a retransmission, and DOESN'T
forward it. The stateful proxy will retransmit requests on its
own as if it were a UA, but a stateless proxy just forwards
requests that it receives.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       200 Executive Drive
Chief Scientist                             Suite 120 
dynamicsoft                                 West Orange, NJ 07052
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com