Subject: Re: General question on SIP used b/w MGCs

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 19:33:26 +0530 (IST)

Hi Jonathan,
so you mean that the real  use of using SIP is if I want to merge proxy
server features into an MGC is not so useful if I have a config. like
another full fledged SIP Proxy server already in the network which already
provides these services you mentioned, and my gateway does not therefore
need these features ?

Regds
Arjun

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:

> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> [email-masked] wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > Now if SIP is only acting as a wrapper, why is it that people seem to
> > mention that SIP is the preferred interaction scheme b/w MGC - MGC ?
> 
> Its not just a transfer function in this application. The call control
> is driven from SIP; the encapsulated data is extra info that can be used
> at an ISUP gateway if needed.
> 
> The result of this is that you get SIPs powerful proxy, forking, search,
> routing, multi-provider, multi-hop  and scaling features, and at the
> same time, you get ISUP transparency if you want it. Should an INVITE
> with ISUP payloads hit a non-ISUP gateway (or even a PC phone) the data
> can be ignored and the call is set up.
> 
> -Jonathan R.
> 
> --
> Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       200 Executive Drive
> Chief Scientist                             Suite 120
> dynamicsoft                                 West Orange, NJ 07052
> [email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
> http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
> http://www.dynamicsoft.com
> 
>

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2000 09:26:11 -0500

Sorry, I can't completley parse this sentence. I think you are asking if
the benefit of using SIP is that you can merge proxy servers into an
MGC? If this is the question, the answer is no, thats not at all (in
fact, the OPPOSITE) of what I am saying. I'm saying, if the MGC uses
SIP, you get to reuse your existing proxy servers, since they already
provide routing, scaling, inter-provider access, multi-hop, etc., but
you get end to end ISUP transparency as well.

-Jonathan R.