Subject: RE: Comments on "Supported:" header draft

From: "Schroeder, Tim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 16:29:30 -0600

Igor Slepchin wrote:
> Wouldn't it be better to require the server to specify _all_ extensions
> it may want to apply to the response in the Require header of the first
> 421 (in the above mentioned example, it would list both
> com.dynamicsoft.foo and com.dynamicsoft.bar)? 

Henning Schulzrinne writes:
> Given that the number of extensions is probably not dozens, I would
> agree that a single indication is far simpler to manage than having them
> be cumulative in some way.

Adam B. Roach writes:
> Yes; I like this approach better as well. Since there seems to be
> support for the point of view that the server sends back the finally
> negotiated set of extensions in the final response, it can do its own
> internal decision making at that time.

I like this better as well.

I believe the server *must* send back the finally negotiated set of
extensions in the final response.  Otherwise, if a client sends an initial
request (not in response to an earlier 421) that contains "Support:
com.dynamicsoft.foo, com.dynamicsoft.bar" (because those are two commonly
requested features), it would have no way of knowing which of the two
possibly incompatible features to use to interpret the response, or even
whether either one of the two features is to be used.

Tim Schroeder

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 17:50:13 -0500

> whether either one of the two features is to be used.

I think we have consensus on this open issue. Same with presence of
"org.ietf.sip.serverfeatures" in requests (consensus is to boot it). If
you disagree, say so now....

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       200 Executive Drive
Chief Scientist                             Suite 120 
dynamicsoft                                 West Orange, NJ 07052
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com