Subject: non INVITE request reliability

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 10:40:19 +0200

Hi,

When a client is retransmitting a non-INVITE method (BYE for instance)
and receives a provisional response it goes on retransmitting it using
T2 interval.

Why does the client have to do this?
If a provisional response has been received some server is taking care
of the request. Why does it retransmit the request again?

If the server went down the client would notice it very soon due to the
ICMP messages, but I do not think this is worthwhile... which are the
reasons behind this retransmission policy?

Thank you,

Gonzalo
-- 
Gonzalo Camarillo         Phone :  +358  9 299 33 71
Oy L M Ericsson Ab        Mobile:  +358 40 702 35 35
Telecom R&D               Fax   :  +358  9 299 30 52
FIN-02420 Jorvas          Email :  [email-masked]
Finland

---

From: Anders Kristensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 10:49:37 +0000

> of the request. Why does it retransmit the request again?

The provisional response means the client knows the UAS (or the next-hop
proxy) has received the request.  The request retransmissions following
receipt of a 1xx is necessary because they will trigger retransmissions
of a lost final response.

Anders

-- 
Anders Kristensen <[email-masked]>,
http://www-uk.hpl.hp.com/people/ak/
Hewlett-Packard Labs, Bristol, UK