Subject: Call-Leg identification

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 13:32:49 +0530

Hi,
     The RFC says that two instances of a user sharing a SIP address can
use the same call-id with different tags in the From field. In this case
again, wouldn't it be enough to compare just the Call-Ids and the tags (as
against comparing the full address in the from and to headers) to identify
messages belonging to the same call-leg ?

Binu

>Hi,
>     The call-leg of a SIP message is identified by the call-id, remote
>address and the local address. However, since the call-id is unique for a
>call-leg, wouldn't a Call-Id comparison suffice to check if two messages
>belong to the same Call leg ? Is my assumption about the Call-Id being
>unique for a call-leg correct ? I need to do this comparison for stopping
>retransmissions of response messages.
>
>Binu

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 12:22:23 -0500

No. Because you may receive misrouted messages and need to ensure they
are for you. Odds are good it won't be a problem, but the correct
solution is to use the full address.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       200 Executive Drive
Chief Scientist                             Suite 120 
dynamicsoft                                 West Orange, NJ 07052
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com