Subject: Re: SIP Voice mail

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 14:46:49 -0500

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Hi,
> Can't we use the general NOTIFY and SUBSCRIBE messages for any
> notifications that you want to implement in SIP ?
> If a UAC wants to get notified for a new Voice mail, it can subscribe to
> the event notifier, and the event notifier can query the
> VM box to look for new mails and notify the user ?
> We had a similar need quite some time ago, and somehow, we did not want to
> use IMAP as the above pure-sip solution looked good - using
> the generic event notificcation service to notify a user of any general
> issue.

The general feedback I have gotten was that people liked the concept of
IMAP for this, but it was a burden on standalone phones.

As a middle compromise, I do agree that a generic subscribe and notify
mechanism for *sip related events only* is not a bad idea. This has been
discussed numerous times, but with no specific proposals. There are
numerous other services which might be enabled by such a generic
mechanism, including call park and pickup, call return, etc.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       200 Executive Drive
Chief Scientist                             Suite 120 
dynamicsoft                                 West Orange, NJ 07052
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com