Subject: Re:

From: Rajan Pillai <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 00:34:16 -0800 (PST)

hi all .I'm new to this concept. Could you please
explain to me in what contexts the "call leg" is used
and in what contexts is the "call id" used ?

thanx

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.
http://im.yahoo.com

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 10:14:45 -0500

Newbies are encouraged to read the tutorials at the SIP homepage,
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/sip.

> and in what contexts is the "call id" used ?

Call leg refers to the one to one signaling relationship between two
UAs. The Call-ID is an identifier, carried in the SIP messages, that
refers to the call. A call is a collection of call legs. A UAC starts by
sending an INVITE; because of forking, it may receive multiple 200 OKs
from different UAS. Each corresponds to a different call leg within the
same call. Call is thus a grouping of call legs. In the call control
spec, additional call legs are created through the Also header.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       200 Executive Drive
Chief Scientist                             Suite 120 
dynamicsoft                                 West Orange, NJ 07052
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com