Subject: Question about default port in response

From: Sunitha Kumar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 14:02:54 -0800

Hi:

It is given in RFC 2543, that the From field in a response should copy
all the fields from the From
field of the request. However, it can add some other parameters to it if
needed.

My question was, if the request had a 5060 port(which is the default
port) in the msg, can the response omit this parameter

Example:
If  Request has:

From :  <sip:[email-masked]:5060>

Can response have:
From: <sip:[email-masked]>

Thanks!

--
Sunitha Kumar
Software Engineer
Vovida Networks
(408) 957 - 6374

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 18:05:42 -0500

This was the subject of discussion during the bakeoff, and on the list
afterwards. The final decision was that URI comparison rules would
define two URIs as being equal if one includes port 5060, and the other
says nothing. 

THis is described in the FAQ and has already been incorporated into the
revised spec:

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/sip/faq.html#to

-Jonathan R.

Sunitha Kumar wrote:
> field of the request. However, it can add some other parameters to it
> if needed.
> 

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       200 Executive Drive
Chief Scientist                             Suite 120 
dynamicsoft                                 West Orange, NJ 07052
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com