Subject: RE: Gateways and registration

From: Linden deCarmo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 14:50:27 -0500

>However, registration of a gateway only shows that the gateway was
	>available, say, an hour ago, unless the gateway is kind enough to
"sign
	>out" before it crashes. 

	Proper use of the Expires header would cause the gateway to
re-register on a periodic basis and allow the Server to detect if it went
down.  Granted, it could crash between registrations, but I could live with
that.

	>to the gateway and you only have one, you might as well try and
find out
	>quickly whether it's up or not. If there's a choice of gateways,
you
	>presumably need something like TRIP to determine the correct one,
in the
	>absence of information which "users" (phone #) each gateway
handles.

      If user information was statically provisioned at the Server, a simple
Register-like function would suffice to determine availability of the
gateway.  More advanced information could be obtained from a TRIP-like
protocol.

Linden deCarmo
Netspeak Corporation
902 Clint Moore Road
Suite 104
Boca Raton, FL 33487