Subject: Re: DHCP option tags for SIP

From: Sean Olson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 10:57:04 -0600 (CST)

> > Glenn Morrow wrote:
> > 
> > Why can't the downloaded UAS, by bootp or other means, simply have the
> > configured proxy address? The configuration can be changed later with
> > SIP signaling without reboot for the in-service cases.
> 

Hey, we could even use a multicast/broadcast SIP OPTIONS request to query
local SIP servers and part of the response could be the parameters people
have been discussing like first SIP proxy hop. There are a lot of 
possibilities here. I haven't seen a good argument against simply including
the SIP proxy as a DHCP option yet. If you are allowing for BOOTP, it's a
short step to go to DHCP and if you allow DHCP then why not exploit its
capabilities? I see the advantage of SLP over DHCP, but its clearly overkill
for a simple SIP phone especially if you need to implement DHCP anyways.

my two cents
sean
--
Sean Olson <[email-masked]>
Ericsson Inc.
tel:972-583-5472

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 13:49:36 -0500

> for a simple SIP phone especially if you need to implement DHCP anyways.

While I agree that multicast is a nice mechanism for some
autoconfig/discovery, the problem is that in many cases the outbound
proxy server may not be part of the local network. I don't think, for
example, that you'd want to have all 20,000 phones at Columbia send out
multicast requests, with all other phones having to listen to them,
particularly if they happen to reboot at roughly the same time, as after
a power outage.

Otherwise, we seem to be in agreement...

-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs