Subject: Re: DHCP option tags for SIP

From: "Ashutosh Dutta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 12:57:50 -0500

For a wireless roaming user (e.g. moving between cells, subnets, and domains)
where fast handoff is an issue during an ongoing call, DHCP option tag for
finding out the nearest SIP proxy would be also very useful.

Thanks
Ashutosh

---

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 11:39:11 -0800 (PST)

>finding out the nearest SIP proxy would be also very useful.

It is not yet clear whether DHCP will be used during wireless roaming. It
is a proposed option, but there are a few others.

		jak

---

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 08:45:31 -0800 (PST)

>If I understand you right, the phone would have an ID, something like
>sip:[email-masked]. When plugged in, it automatically registers
>this address, binding it to its current IP address. In addition, users
>can go to a web page (or use a SIP registration), and basically create
>another binding, mapping their name (sip:[email-masked]) to the ID
>of the phone (sip:[email-masked]). Is that right?
>
>Neat idea... solves the problem that a standalone phone is not always
>going to have an easy way for the user to enter their name that it
>should use in a registration. It is basically adding another layer of
>indirection: user->device->address, rather than just user->address.

Cellular phones already have such an address (they are required by
the FCC to do so). It's called the Electronic Serial Number(ESN) and
is used in the authentication algorithms.

		jak