Subject: Question on achieveing Assured QoS using SIP/COPS

From: Bryan Byerly <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 10:38:21 -0500

Hi guys,

Assuming a goal of achieving "assured QoS" using generic SIP:
(In assured QoS,  the phone doesn't ring until resource allocation has
been confirmed
vs. enabled QoS, when the phone rings and can be answered before QoS is
established.
In fact, if resources are not available, the enabled QoS conversation
would continue
(without QoS)).

I understand that assured QoS can be achieved using the provisioned
(push) model of COPS.
(REQ, ...  DEC, RPT, ... DEC, RTP, ... DEC, RPT ...)
Some examples of proposed provisioned models (push model) which (can)
achieve assured QoS are:
a) DQoS (using Gate objects)
b) COPS-PR (using ASN.1 encoded objects),
... which ones am I leaving out?

However, I have not seen assured QoS achieved using the
outsourcing model (pull model) of COPS.
(REQ, DEC, RPT, .... REQ, DEC, RPT,  ... REQ, DEC, RPT, ...)

Is it even possible to achieve assured QoS using the outsourcing model
(pull model) of COPS?

If so, could someone please sketch a brief call flow for me of
how to achieve assured QoS using the outsourcing model of COPS?

Thanks for your help!

Bryan

Bryan J. Byerly
[email-masked]

---

From: "Lyndon Ong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 16:03:13 -0800

Hi,

Isn't providing your "assured QoS" a matter of having the hooks in call
setup signaling (i.e., SIP and SDP) to indicate that resource allocation is
required prior to ringing, not strictly a COPS issue?  Jonathan, et al's
draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-qos-00.txt proposes a way to indicate this in SDP and
some SIP extension is also probably involved.

COPS-PR vs. COPS-RSVP, on the other hand, depends on how you are doing
resource allocation decisions:
-- COPS-PR could be used where you are pushing resource allocation
decisions from a central point to edge devices, while
-- COPS-RSVP or outsource would be used where you rely on RSVP signaling
end-to-end to initiate resource allocation, and edge devices detecting the
RSVP PATH/RESV use COPS-RSVP to outsource the decision to a PDP.

By the way, "assured" might be confused with "assured forwarding" in
Diffserv, a completely different concept...

L. Ong

---

From: Henry Sinnreich <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 10:08:05 -0600

>how to achieve assured QoS using the outsourcing model of COPS?

Please see the attached PowerPoint charts from the last SIP WG
meeting.
Sorry, the ASCII format is just not too legible, but is in
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sinnreich-interdomain-
sip-qos-osp-00.txt

Henry

>-----Original Message-----
>From: [email-masked]
>[mailto:[email-masked]]On
>Behalf Of Bryan Byerly
>Sent: Friday, February 25, 2000 9:38 AM
>To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
>Cc: [email-masked]
>Subject: Question on achieveing Assured QoS using SIP/COPS
>
>
>Hi guys,
>