Subject: Question about REGISTER

From: "Christian Jansson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 11:57:24 +0100

>From 4.2.6:

All current registrations MUST share the same action value. Registrations
that have a different action than current registrations for the same user
MUST be rejected with status of 409 (Conflict).

1.What about a REGISTER request that does not have an action value:
    Does that match any of "redirect" or "proxy"?
    Is it then up to the server to chose the action, and indicate the choice
    in the response? Or is it the first REGISTER with an action that sets
    the rule (also for earlier REGISTERS that did not have an action value)?

2. Why do they have to share the same action at all?

3. A server that only supports one of the redirect/proxy behaviors receives
    a REGISTER with the unsupported action indicated. What does it do,
    send a 409 response?

--
Christian Jansson ([email-masked])
HotSip AB
phone:  +46 (0)8 555 10 704
mobile: +46 (0)70 558 1038

---

From: Igor Slepchin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 12:31:48 -0500

>     the rule (also for earlier REGISTERS that did not have an action value)?

From 6.13:

If this parameter (i.e., action) is not specified the action taken
depends on server configuration.

I guess it makes sense to assume the action parameter that does not
conflict with the existing registrations for the same address of record.
 
> 2. Why do they have to share the same action at all?

Consider the situation when [email-masked] is registered with
[email-masked];action=proxy and [email-masked];action=redirect. The
proxy receives an INVITE for [email-masked]; what should it do
now? It cannot both redirect and proxy at the same time; sending a
redirect immediately would mean that the second address is not even
tried; proxying first means that the redirect is at least delayed.
Generally, there is a conflict between desired actions for
[email-masked] between registering entities.
 
>     a REGISTER with the unsupported action indicated. What does it do,

This would work. Another option is something like 501 Not implemented:
action=proxy .

---
Igor Slepchin