Subject: Contact, Record-Route with TCP transport

From: Sudipto Mukherjee <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 12:54:05 -0500

I need a clarification on the handling of Contact and Record-Route
headers in SIP UAs using TCP as the transport. 

Is it the same as UDP ?

The reopening of new TCP connections to handle Contacts and RRs
has overheads and complicates the implementation of the UA.

Thanks

-- Sudipto

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 16:18:31 -0500

> headers in SIP UAs using TCP as the transport.

Yes. If the client or proxy needs to send a request or response
somewhere, and a TCP connection isn't open, and that request must be
sent TCP, a connection is opened. 

> has overheads and complicates the implementation of the UA.

The opening is only if a connection to that destination doesn't already
exist. SIP allows TCP connections to be reused for other requests. In
many cases, the connection will already be there.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       200 Executive Drive
Chief Scientist                             Suite 120 
dynamicsoft                                 West Orange, NJ 07052
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com